Beginner to planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are scratching each other's proboscis

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, I got the sunsun canister filter set up. It's awesome but the plastic parts (intake and outlet pieces) are junk. I'm hoping to swing by lowes and find something else to use. The outlet has a tiny leak. Iv added blacktape to help with the Silicone to seal better but it's still very small. Mine come with some medium to add to it. Out The BIOBALLS On top, Ceramic IN middle, And polishing pad on the bottom. I added some of the filters from my HOB filter to aid in bacteria colonization. (Hope that helps).

Does anyone run a sunsun canister? If so, do u use the parts that come with it or did u buy external parts?

I have a Sunsun 302 and a 703b. Even though the plastic parts are lightweight, I have never managed to crack or break one. Considering I like to move things and change it around it's held up fine.

You can get better spread if you put it under the intake of a hob or canister too :)
Also, I took your advice and have the co2 bubbles going into the intake of the canister.

I got my drop checker. Got to pick up some DI water then make the 4dKH solution and apply it. I will let u know how it goes.

Still waiting on the dry ferts from Greenleaf.

I have a Sunsun 302 and a 703b. Even though the plastic parts are lightweight, I have never managed to crack or break one. Considering I like to move things and change it around it's held up fine.
Thanks for the info. I thought about getting something larger diameter. Seems the parts that come with it really restricts water flow. Would have to really cut down on the gallons per hour. I will play it by ear and see how it does. I can't seem to seal that one leak, so might not have a choice, atleast for the outflow.

I have had great luck with the seller I have purchased mine through. I ordered extra spray bar parts and o rings. I'm sure you could go back to your seller for a replacement piece.

IMG_1420.JPG
Got the drop checker installed and mixed up my 500mL solutions for the green leaf dry ferts. We shall see how everything does! Again, thanks everyone for their help along the learning process for myself.

I'm confused about all the bad thing everyone has said about DIY co2. Within an hour my drop checker was green. I shut the co2 off through the night and this morning it was still green. It appears my DIY co2 is working fantastic, or I just got lucky. I guess it's consistency that's going to be a challenge.

The 4dKH I prepared was carefully measured with a graduated cylinder and scale. It tested exactly 4dKH with the API KH test kit. So, as far as tests go the 4dKH solution was correct.

The indicator solution I used was what rhinox "however it's spelled" sent with the drop checker. It was a yellow color but turned blue as soon as it mixed with the 4dKH solution in the drop checker. Only added 2 drops before it was very dark blue.

Has a mistake been made on my part or did I just lucky and have the co2 right?

Thanks

I'm confused about all the bad thing everyone has said about DIY co2. Within an hour my drop checker was green. I shut the co2 off through the night and this morning it was still green. It appears my DIY co2 is working fantastic, or I just got lucky. I guess it's consistency that's going to be a challenge.

The 4dKH I prepared was carefully measured with a graduated cylinder and scale. It tested exactly 4dKH with the API KH test kit. So, as far as tests go the 4dKH solution was correct.

The indicator solution I used was what rhinox "however it's spelled" sent with the drop checker. It was a yellow color but turned blue as soon as it mixed with the 4dKH solution in the drop checker. Only added 2 drops before it was very dark blue.

Has a mistake been made on my part or did I just lucky and have the co2 right?

Thanks

Seems like your all good. Biggest issue with DIY is the consistency, you need to open the valve every day to the same spot to avoid fluctuations and also the bottles and burn out halfway through the day and if you miss it you spend a day without co2.

If you can get it to the same level everyday and make sure your bottles and burn out it will work fine. I was going through bottles every 5 days and it just ended up too much of a task always swapping bottles and keeping an eye on it.

Pressurised once set stays the same day in day out untill the bottle runs out (months worth)

Seems like your all good. Biggest issue with DIY is the consistency, you need to open the valve every day to the same spot to avoid fluctuations and also the bottles and burn out halfway through the day and if you miss it you spend a day without co2.

If you can get it to the same level everyday and make sure your bottles and burn out it will work fine. I was going through bottles every 5 days and it just ended up too much of a task always swapping bottles and keeping an eye on it.

Pressurised once set stays the same day in day out untill the bottle runs out (months worth)

I see what you mean. That's my next investment is pressurized. Thought about getting the kit from green leaf. I dosed my first time with the dry ferts yesterday. Gave it an hour or so then done some water tests. Nitrate showed between 5-10ppm, so hoping to see some improvement with growth.

Quick question. I plan to continue with excel, but should I continue with the flourish and flourish trace since I started dosing the dry ferts?

I would discontinue with the other ferts once you start dosing with the dry ferts.
I did yeast based DIY CO2 for a year. I ran two bottles and mixed up a batch each week. I got tired of that eventually. It ran continuously. The output was low so a CO2 overdose never occurred.
I believe they make solenoids for the citric acid based setup you are using.
If GLA CO2 is a bit rich for your liking, you should take a look at Milwaukee or AquaTek.

I would discontinue with the other ferts once you start dosing with the dry ferts.
I did yeast based DIY CO2 for a year. I ran two bottles and mixed up a batch each week. I got tired of that eventually. It ran continuously. The output was low so a CO2 overdose never occurred.
I believe they make solenoids for the citric acid based setup you are using.
If GLA CO2 is a bit rich for your liking, you should take a look at Milwaukee or AquaTek.
Thanks for the info, I will certainly check them out. Yeah, I started with yeast and it worked ok. I started to have a few leak issues, so I bought the citric acid baking soda contraption online.

Im going to continue with the Excell, but nothing else.

It's insane the growth in seeing since I started dosing with the dry ferts. I'm just a few days. Over an inch growth on the moneywort and cobomba.

Since I started dosing the dry ferts I am seeing some brown algae (diatoms). The plants are exploding from the ferts. I'm using the PPS system and the tank is heavily planted. Lights have not been charged changed. Still the finnex on the 24/7 mode. Drop checker is staying green.

Any advice before it gets out of control?

I had the outlet on the filter spraying against the tank glass to cut down on agitation against the taller plants. I turned it around just now to give some movement throughout the tank.

I had the outlet on the filter spraying against the tank glass to cut down on agitation against the taller plants. I turned it around just now to give some movement throughout the tank.

Diatoms are normal for a new tank ;) just keep up with the water changes (50% weekly and even a 25% mid week if you can) and it should all fade away over a few weeks.

Also it can help to clean the glass on a regular basis just to hold it off (with every water change to remove spores). Make sure you clean your filter monthly to remove any build up of crap ;) rinse media with tank water only! The canister walls etc can be cleaned with tap water tho.

Diatoms are normal for a new tank ;) just keep up with the water changes (50% weekly and even a 25% mid week if you can) and it should all fade away over a few weeks.

Also it can help to clean the glass on a regular basis just to hold it off (with every water change to remove spores). Make sure you clean your filter monthly to remove any build up of crap ;) rinse media with tank water only! The canister walls etc can be cleaned with tap water tho.
Ok, will do! I appreciate it. I'm doing one 50% water change a week right now. I will try and squeeze in another through the work week. There isn't much of the brown all together, just a little here and there on some of the vegetation. The snails seem to be hitting it pretty hard.

I'm thinking of getting a couple siamese algae eaters. Any of yall have them?

Ok, will do! I appreciate it. I'm doing one 50% water change a week right now. I will try and squeeze in another through the work week. There isn't much of the brown all together, just a little here and there on some of the vegetation. The snails seem to be hitting it pretty hard.

I'm thinking of getting a couple siamese algae eaters. Any of yall have them?

I wouldn't get Siamese algae eaters to control algae.

Can you describe the algae. Is it dusty like if you touch it it disperses and disappears or is it a slime?

Back
Top Bottom