Beginner to planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't get Siamese algae eaters to control algae.

Can you describe the algae. Is it dusty like if you touch it it disperses and disappears or is it a slime?

I haven't seen any algae yet, I don't think. Iv got some biofilm on the tank glass and the recent brown coating "diatoms".

IMG_1443.JPG
UPDATE: Everything is looking good. One of the java fern looks great and has some new growth. The other is still struggling. Iv done some cultivation and the brown algae is diminishing "slowly". Things really exploded when I started with the green leaf ferts. Just wanted to share with y'all, I love the new look of the tank. I can Thank y'all for that.

1488933159969.jpg

Update: tank is doing awesome. Iv got to trim about once a week bc everything grows out of the water. Fish are loving it.

Insane difference in a couple months.

The only thing that's struggling is the Java fern. Idk what to do with it. It grows new shoots then they slowly melt away from the tips back.

Your kidding. It grows like a weed in my tank. I wonder why the difference?
I have no idea. Everything else is growing like crazy. Java moss, lutwigia, dwarf hairgrass, red flame sword, cobomba, moneywort, and anabius. Keeping drop checker green, dosing PPS Greenleaf ferts. Zero algae in tank "atleast none u can see". Water Chem perfect. I dose nitrate and after dosing it's around 5ppm.

Strangest thing bc I read it one of the easiest.

The only thing that's struggling is the Java fern. Idk what to do with it. It grows new shoots then they slowly melt away from the tips back.

Same experience with java fern. They just won't grow like the other plants. Did you use only gravel as your only substrate ? If you did that is one of the best plants setups I've seen

Stuff the Java fern! You tanks looking amazing bud well done! You've got a good eye for scaping

If you added CO2 to your system you would prob see your nitrates drop as your plants would then require more nutrients with the increased CO2.

Yep you are right. But this old gal is hell bent on staying low tech.

I just wonder if the Java prefers a bit more in the water?

Iv read on multiple sources that java fern is nitrate loving. That's my problem I'd say. The tank is functioning so effecient, I had nitrates at zero. Then I started dosing the ferts. The PPS is restrictive compared to the other method where u dump way more than u need then rely on the weekly water change to take away the excess.

Someone on here told me to mix my nitrate in a separate bottle but they had already shipped prior so I didn't do it.

I see why he said that now lol. I about guarantee the 5ppm of nitrate isn't enough for the Java fern and prob being taken in from all other plants very quickly as they literally grow close to 2 inches a day.

Im.not changing anything though. No algae and I don't want to create a bloom lol

I don't blame u staying low tech. It's Def easy to.get carried away in this hobby and have a spaceship looking aquarium before u know it [emoji23] .

However, u can get one of the kits off ebay for like $12. Use two 2 liter pop bottles, buy some citric acid $10, then baking soda "cheap", pop a bubble counter on there and you will have same system I'm having great success with.

Sure, pressurized co2 would he great and having a selenoid would be awesome, but that's a huge investment for something that can be achieved so cheap. I refill my bottles about every 12-14 days. U just have to have a good eye and finesse with turning a needle valve.

My drop checker stays green and I have had zero algae and plants are growing like crazy.

So if u ever want to do Co2 it's super cheap and easy unless u want to make it very expensive and complicated lol

Same experience with java fern. They just won't grow like the other plants. Did you use only gravel as your only substrate ? If you did that is one of the best plants setups I've seen
Back at my first failed attempt I added some dirt type substrate first "can't remember type but I got at LFS". Then added the gravel over it to cap it. My second attempt I added some floramax to the back edges to give it depth but the original substrate, I never changed.

Back
Top Bottom