Beginner to planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks joe. Some one will come along with some medicine is best lol

Treatment for fin rot is pristine water. Lots of frequent water changes. It works
Yes, doing a 75% change in the morning. My filter is just not enough I don't think. The new canister filter will be here Wednesday so that should help a lot. Thanks for the info guys!

Not seeing the spots. Fins clamped kinda looks gravid. Its acting sick?

Not seeing the spots. Fins clamped kinda looks gravid. Its acting sick?
Yes, it's like it's not able to float well. Swim to top of tank then sink back to the bottom. It's eating. Water parameters are perfect. It hasn't got worse so maybe it's fins are like that? And possibly pregnant? Pregagant symptoms are exactly the way he is acting. But so is a fungal infection, etc.

Well, I inspected him better when I got home. He is Def eat up with something. U can see stringy like stuff hanging from his pectoral fins. I have him floating isolated in a gallon bag. I added some aquarium salt and fish first aid liquid solution to the bag. Hoping I can get it to pull through. I don't have another tank to isolate him in.

Shew, I think I know why my java fern is looking so poor. I got my nitrate test kit today. First reading was zero. Looks like I need to dose some nitrogen into the water. What do you guys think?

If yes, would u advise seachem flourish nitrogen or dry potassium nitrate?

Sorry for all the questions. I am new and I don't want another failure like I had the first time.

Thanks in advance

1485558861669.jpg
I just ordered this PPS package. Guess I need to get a digital scale now. The money never stops flowing for this tank. Lol maybe I should have chosen a cheaper hobby, like golf [emoji23]

View attachment 293961
I just ordered this PPS package. Guess I need to get a digital scale now. The money never stops flowing for this tank. Lol maybe I should have chosen a cheaper hobby, like golf [emoji23]

Good purchase. This is a very economical set of fertilizers. I bought the same package in December 2013 and the only thing I needed to get more of was the CSM+B (micros). But I won't need to mix more until this summer. This for a 20g tank.
One thing, not sure if it's too late to add to your order, but an extra 500 mL dosing container would be helpful. You would mix up the KNO3 separately in that container. This reason why is that your livestock will already be contributing (indirectly) to the nitrate level. By having the nitrate in its own solution, it can be dosed as needed.

Good purchase. This is a very economical set of fertilizers. I bought the same package in December 2013 and the only thing I needed to get more of was the CSM+B (micros). But I won't need to mix more until this summer. This for a 20g tank.
One thing, not sure if it's too late to add to your order, but an extra 500 mL dosing container would be helpful. You would mix up the KNO3 separately in that container. This reason why is that your livestock will already be contributing (indirectly) to the nitrate level. By having the nitrate in its own solution, it can be dosed as needed.

This is phenomenal advice.

This will be my first time dosing. I use some seachem stuff now. Do u just mix up in bulk (the storage containers) then add so many mL a day depending on tank size?

This will be my first time dosing. I use some seachem stuff now. Do u just mix up in bulk (the storage containers) then add so many mL a day depending on tank size?

Yep that's exactly how it works ;) lasts forever!

Yep that's exactly how it works ;) lasts forever!

Sounds easy enough. I bought a 500g scale and a 100mL graduated cylinder. I can use that stuff for works anyways, so killed two birds with one stone. The java moss and moneywort are looking good but the java fern hasn't done anything. Nothing has sprouted from the rhizomes and it seems like it gets a paler green by the day. One of them u can see the tips are starting to turn brown and moving down the leaf. Hope it's bc of the nutrient deficiency. Hoping I can start adding the nutrients and I will FINALLY have a established successful planted tank lol

Sounds easy enough. I bought a 500g scale and a 100mL graduated cylinder. I can use that stuff for works anyways, so killed two birds with one stone. The java moss and moneywort are looking good but the java fern hasn't done anything. Nothing has sprouted from the rhizomes and it seems like it gets a paler green by the day. One of them u can see the tips are starting to turn brown and moving down the leaf. Hope it's bc of the nutrient deficiency. Hoping I can start adding the nutrients and I will FINALLY have a established successful planted tank lol

Sounds like your well underway :) Java does love nitrates. New growth tends to be darker and then lightens up. It's a dark green rather than a brown tho.

Sounds like your well underway :) Java does love nitrates. New growth tends to be darker and then lightens up. It's a dark green rather than a brown tho.

Yes, it's certainly
Not new growth. I was reading up on it some and a lot of people are having same issue I am having with their java fern. Low nitrates. Started adding the dry ferts and it flourished. Hoping that happens for me.

The drop checker will be here Monday. If u get your co2 right will it stay at the right ppm through the night with co2 turned off? Or is it a daily thing to get the flow right? Guess since the plants won't be using it with lights out if one doesn't gas it off should stay pretty consistent through the night I would think?

Back
Top Bottom