best filter for a 55+ gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd recommend as I've seen the Rena xp4/xl I have one running on my 70g planted. I've had many filters before but I'm really sold on this one. Love how flexible the baskets are really can customize exactly how you prefer. Also the auto prime and disconnect is great price also a key factor

Aqua Clear is the best HOB money can buy in my opinion theyve been around 30 years and havent changed i like to think this is because they got it right from day one. i over filter slightly because i have cichlids so i use a ac70 on my 55 keeps the water crystal clear

I have 2 Aquaclear 50s on my 29g and they make my job really easy. Weekly 50% water changes and monthly filter maintenance is all I do to keep my firemouth happy.

I use an Aquaclear 50 and an Aqueon 55 on my 55. The only thing I don't like about the AC is that it doesn't self prime.

In the other hand I think the AQ has better flow and space but limited media options. You have to be creative but I like them both overall.

I have an aqua clear hob on my daughters tank and am really unhappy with it. Once it finally breaks I will be changing it to a canister

I use an Aquaclear 50 and an Aqueon 55 on my 55. The only thing I don't like about the AC is that it doesn't self prime.

In the other hand I think the AQ has better flow and space but limited media options. You have to be creative but I like them both overall.

Well IMO in a healthy aquarium with correct WC you shouldn't need anything but sponge and beads for BB they def have an awesome flow rate and you can turn flow rate down and they filter the water twice before dumping it

I have an aqua clear hob on my daughters tank and am really unhappy with it. Once it finally breaks I will be changing it to a canister

Why are you unhappy with it no offense but are you sure its not something your doing wrong ? Not enough wc's perhaps ?

Well IMO in a healthy aquarium with correct WC you shouldn't need anything but sponge and beads for BB they def have an awesome flow rate and you can turn flow rate down and they filter the water twice before dumping it

What I meant by being creative is that instead of being stuck with just using the AQ cartridges you can use other media in the the AQ basket. Such as AC biomax stuffed in floss. In my AC I use two biomax inserts and one sponge.

In my QT I have a different set up. I'll edit in a pic when I jump on my iPad.

image-2331497659.jpg

I just bought a cheaply from wall mart for my 10 gallon sick tank it has a 100gph rate for ten gallon tank for 15$ works greats for a cheapy lol

Back
Top Bottom