Bettababe's 29 Gallon Biocube Build/Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I would be very interested in starting a nano reef. What would I need, and what would it cost? What tank size should I start with? Would a ten be okay for starting? I know it's harder to keep them stable, but I already have two freshwater tens that will be available within a few years. One at least. Maybe. Lol.

So, that would take that out of the price. Can I get a breakdown of prices, just very general. I still have to do A LOT of research for livestock, etc. Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

What you will need:
-sand (can get cheap playsand even im pretty sure, research that first haha)
-rock (save a lot by getting baserock and maybe a couple small pieces of live if you want)
-heater (probably have one with that 10 gallon already)
-lighting(no special lighting needed if you don't do a reef)
-ro/di water (can buy from most petstores)
-salt(big purchase but will last awhile, prob about $100 for a large pail)
-filter/powerhead (might have one already with the 10 gallon, powerhead not really needed but you don't want "dead spots" where there is no flow and junk gathers)
-livestock (regular clownfish, firefish, chromis, and gobys are all pretty cheap)
-food (some flake foods and maybe a packet of frozen mysis or blood worms as well, alternate types of food fed and dont overfeed)

Work
-weekly water changes
-cleaning out the filter often

I probably missed a few things and i also didn't add much for prices since my prices here are usually a lot different from everyone else haha.

Would it be easier if I can get a bigger tank? Would a 29 biocube, like in Carey's build thread work better? If I can get it...

Can you give me any advice for fish and inverts for it? I really would like to do corals, so what lighting will I need? I don't have any saltwater lfs near me, so what are some of the best places to buy from?

This will be a long while from now, because I'm going to need a way for an income. Maybe walking and bathing dogs? Pet sitting? Lol.

A biocube is a great starte I think, if you can afford one. It would make an awesome christmas gift from your parents or for a birthday. Mine was 249 shipped. Its 29 gallons. You could get a smaller one too. It has everything you need but a heater.

Bigger tank will be easier for keeping corals and fish but for a 29 gallon i would still recommend the weekly water changes and filter cleanings.

I also forgot to mention a test kit, an API kit works best.

I can't really recommend stores since here i only have one saltwater pet store which is locally owned, our petsmart, petland, and petcetera don't sell saltwater at all, but yours might.

If you can get the biocube they usually will come with better lighting. What lighting you need will depend on what corals you want to keep. Things like mushrooms and zoas don't need alot of light, but most other corals do. There are some corals that don't use light at all, like sponges and suncorals, but these usually need to be fed and will then make the upkeep of the tank harder. I'd recommend looking into getting a t5 light, maybe a powercompact light but you will be limited for corals with it.

So, can you give me some set up tips, like the cycle, and how to set up the tank? I can't find much online. It's confusing.

I noticed something about play sand and just wanted to warn you not to get it. It is made up of mostly silicates which Is what algae feeds on. You could use aragonite or poolfilter sand. There are others just those are the most common

i like the biocube but dosnt it have limited hood access

I don't find mine has limited hood access, the hood opens all the way up with little pegs to keep it up. The hood can even come off completely very easily. I actually like the hood like this better since i can move it up out of my way but still have the light to see, my other tank i need to take the light right off.

I agree with carey, perfect birthday/Christmas gift. I actually got mine for my birthday which was great.

Thanks. So, a weekly water change on a twenty-nine biocube, aragonite sand is best, I don't need a ton of live rock, some base rock with a little live rock is okay, and other stuff I can look back at. I need to read that cycling thread very carefully.

Okay. I read the article, and it makes more sense now. I hadn't really understood it from people's threads. Thanks for your help. Any more suggestions?

Sorry for the triple post, but, reef cleaners is considered one of the best right? Any other suggestions?

What about good livestock places, I'm not sure if that is. Sorry about my ignorance...

So, keep suggestions coming, and I'll go look at that website.

Back
Top Bottom