Black edges on three Spot Gourami's Fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

curbyzcul

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok guys- slight dilema. My three spot gourami has started to develop black edges to his fins and tail and looks like he has one black scale on his head. I have no idea what it is (it almost looks like it has been singed), so could someone help me? He doesn't seem unhappy, but I don't want him to die! Not after the Rams (which died like 3 days after I got them so I complained to the store and got clown loach). Thanx

I'ma have to think on this one, but I will move it over to Unhealthy Fish, where more responses are likely.

That is usually a symptom of poor water quality. Gravel vac and change 1/2 of your water.

Kim

I have also read that white or black edges forming on the fins may be a sign of fin rot? Maybe do some research on it to see if that may be the problem? I think antibiotics can help it if that's what it turns out to be!

I have a blue gourami (three spot) currently in QT! I can't wait to put him in my main tank!

Paul

My stats for my aqwuarium are asfollows:
Nitrate: less than 10ppm
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
pH: 7

So I don't think it's poor water as I gravel vac and do a 15% water change every week

And also, its fins don't look damaged, just slightly blackened. None of the other fish have it, and as such I don't think it's fin rot, as they aint getting jagged or nuthin!

Pic would help lots. Probabily it's natural color. Normally fish's color in lfs tend to be bit fade as compare to original color due to stress.

Oh my goodness! hehe! Here I was thinking about what could be wrong, vega. That's certainly possible that those black edges are normal coloring.

I bought my blue gourami (three spot) last week at Wal-Mart, and over the last week in QT, he has been brightening up A LOT. His colors are getting much bolder than when I bought him. I just went down and looked, and the back edge of his bottom fin is black! :) No black on tail or dorsal fin, though.

A pic would definitely help. I don't know that I would assume for sure yet that it is natural, but if it is, that would certainly be great!

Paul

I am encouraged here that this is normal coloration. When I have run into it, fin rot is generally just a raggedy fin with missing sections, possibly translucent or white, so I am crossing my fingers. The pics I have seen and the gouramis I have seen at the LFS do not have the black fin, but it may come with maturity.

If you PM Christmasfish she might know for sure - she is an authority on all things gourami.

Maybe this has been resolved, but I just wanted to mention, stopped by a LFS today and their blue gouramis had black tinges on the edges of all fins, and on mine, there is a definite black edge on the bottom fin and an ever so slight tinge of black on the edge of all the rest of the fins.

Beginning to sound more and more like your fish might just be developing its natural adult colors! :) We all hope that, anyway!

Paul

Back
Top Bottom