Chemical balancing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lessa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have a 29g planted tank that I've recently started, and I'm getting confused about all different chemicals people say they add to their aquarium and what the fish shop said I should do.

I'm really wondering what everyone thinks is the right chemicals to add to the water?

Is it really okay to just add something like prime and that's all?

I use neutral regulator, acid buffer and stability(new tank) every water change.

I dose the tank with excel every day and flourish every week.

Prime is all I use in my non planted tanks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

First rule of fight club..ermmm I mean aquarium Advice... don't listen to the people at the lfs (most of the time). Why all the additives??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My first questions would be about your water. Where is it coming from? Have you done any testing on it straight out of the tap? And what tests have you done and what test kits are you using? Having a great understanding of your clear liquid is the most important thing IMO.

First rule of fight club..ermmm I mean aquarium Advice... don't listen to the people at the lfs (most of the time). Why all the additives??

This made me laugh so hard! But I agree, why so many additives? What's your water source?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No need for all the chemicals. Just Flourish/ F Excel and API LeafZone would cover you.

Interchange Flourish and LeafZone each day and dose Excel every day. Do a water change at the end of the week and give a day of rest. Next day repeat cycle again.

Unless you feel the need for co2 that's really all you need. And at only 29 gallons you can manage sticking to liquid ferts.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Supposedly because of the composition of the tap water. They also had me adding equilibrium, but I stopped with that one. Basically, I trusted them and they sold me everything.
They insist that my water needs to be 7 ph. Even with the additives it only gets to 7.5. I don't want to fight my water chemistry. I'll just stick with fish that like my water.
Will it freak my fish out if I change what I've been doing?

My first questions would be about your water. Where is it coming from? Have you done any testing on it straight out of the tap? And what tests have you done and what test kits are you using? Having a great understanding of your clear liquid is the most important thing IMO.

I should test it. I know that the city's supply is slightly hard. I'm using API Test kit for everything. Ph, ammonia, nitrite ( still irritatingly high), nitrate, phosphate.

I'm not sure I ever tested it right out of the tap. I'll give it a go.

I should test it. I know that the city's supply is slightly hard. I'm using API Test kit for everything. Ph, ammonia, nitrite ( still irritatingly high), nitrate, phosphate.

I'm not sure I ever tested it right out of the tap. I'll give it a go.

I would definitely get a KH test and maybe even a GH test and know what your water starts at.

My tap is 8.2 and its never been a problem. I also have neons and rams in it.but the tank they are in is running a little lower due to the co2 I believe. Stays around 7.8

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Contrary to salesman beliefe.. you're probably going to do more harm than good adding all that stuff to.the tank. Have you asked them to test the water they keep the fish they sell.you in? Chances are it's probably similar to yours. Most fish these days can/will adapt to your water!

Back
Top Bottom