Compatibility questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NjFabianoWNY

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I've have a pretty successful 46 gallon semi aggressive community tank for a while.

So about a month ago I set up a brand new 75 gallon long with the tentative intentions of housing african cichlids....since then I've changed plans about 5 times.

I keep doing endless amounts of research and it's hard to get answers on compatibility unless you give someone exact examples.

My hopes are to house 5-10 larger fish rather than more smaller fish.

My question is this...

After reading the following list can any of you tell me if this combination of fish could work in my 75, and if so, which of the follow can I have more than 1 of.

Electric Blue Jack Dempsey

Green Terror

Firemouth

Elliotti fish

5 tiger barbs (these would be my cycling fish. If they wouldn't work, what fish should I use to start and cycle?)

Granted, I kno personality of fish can vary, but generally could these species work together, and how many of each could I have in my slate rock decorated 75 gallon long?

Any other suggestions of combinations are appreciated.

I want big, color, and variation!

Thanks, I'm sick of my empty tank!

Well I don't have much knowledge of what's good to be put with what. BUT, what I do know from my experience is that you can use Pristella Tetras over Tiger Barbs. They will tolerate a wide range of water parameters including pH, temperature and hardness. They can tolerate higher nitrate levels than other fish and is hardy enough to withstand the cycling process.

- I'm going to investigate the fish types you mentioned above. I've been looking into a 55/75 gallon tank but not really to thrilled at the tetras I got now. I want something BIG / COLORFUL / AGGRRSSIVE. Something other then plain n simple. Sorry to ramble on. Hope I helped

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok, I've have a pretty successful 46 gallon semi aggressive community tank for a while.

So about a month ago I set up a brand new 75 gallon long with the tentative intentions of housing african cichlids....since then I've changed plans about 5 times.

I keep doing endless amounts of research and it's hard to get answers on compatibility unless you give someone exact examples.

My hopes are to house 5-10 larger fish rather than more smaller fish.

My question is this...

After reading the following list can any of you tell me if this combination of fish could work in my 75, and if so, which of the follow can I have more than 1 of.

Electric Blue Jack Dempsey

Green Terror

Firemouth

Elliotti fish

5 tiger barbs (these would be my cycling fish. If they wouldn't work, what fish should I use to start and cycle?)

Granted, I kno personality of fish can vary, but generally could these species work together, and how many of each could I have in my slate rock decorated 75 gallon long?

Any other suggestions of combinations are appreciated.

I want big, color, and variation!

Thanks, I'm sick of my empty tank!

No matter how many times or where you post this the answers are going to be the same. I gave you suggestions of what you could try from that list in one of the other ones you started.

It was posted at the same time in different spots. Different people see in in different categories. Thanks for the info, in the future I won't post the same thing twice

I say go for it. It is your aquarium and you can try anything you want. If they don't make it you can always buy more. It sucks to look at fish you don't want while your tank cycles then you have to figure out what to do with them when it's done. Buy what you want and if natural selection takes some of the weaker ones just replace them. That's just my advice. There isn't anyone on this forum that hasn't lost fish so feel free to try to succeed where others have failed. I cycled my tank with a dwarf gourami and a couple of corys.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Surfnturf
img_3124294_0_d852cf44d31437630f21c54efdb339b5.jpg

2 discus
1 dwarf gourami
1 german blue ram
2 golden wonder killifish
4 harlequin rasboras
5 corydoras
And a bunch of plants in a 20 long
Eheim 2213 and tom aquatics canister filters
Finnex planted plus

I say go for it. It is your aquarium and you can try anything you want. If they don't make it you can always buy more. It sucks to look at fish you don't want while your tank cycles then you have to figure out what to do with them when it's done. Buy what you want and if natural selection takes some of the weaker ones just replace them. That's just my advice. There isn't anyone on this forum that hasn't lost fish so feel free to try to succeed where others have failed. I cycled my tank with a dwarf gourami and a couple of corys.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Surfnturf
img_3125073_0_d852cf44d31437630f21c54efdb339b5.jpg

2 discus
1 dwarf gourami
1 german blue ram
2 golden wonder killifish
4 harlequin rasboras
5 corydoras
And a bunch of plants in a 20 long
Eheim 2213 and tom aquatics canister filters
Finnex planted plus
Man you have to stop telling people that they can just go out and buy more. Please stop giving new people bad advice.

I've always thought the challenge of fish keeping is not having fish killed off. Anybody can add fish to a tank, a good aquarium keeper will see them thrive to become display specimens.

the tetras will likely become fish food later on anyways. so could the tiger barbs. either way, there will be some fish in their food anyways and those fish were alive at some point in time. it's not bad advice. tiger barbs will work. like I said, i cycled my tank with a dwarf gourami and a couple of corys. why dont you just skip the junk fish and go straight to the cichlids. since you already have a tank up and running you can just get your filter media going in that tank and swap it over with some of your old tank water.

have you used aqadvisor.com? you can enter your tank size, filtration, and fish to get a good start on what will work in your space.

Back
Top Bottom