Cories and salt dosing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the underlying message from this is often we just go with what has been passed to us accurate or not.
I believe "myth" was mentioned and do still agree.
On that note I think even in a particular species each individual fish in this case may have different results so it really is on the keeper to judge proper treatments accordingly.
It is not only salt that I would warn anyone trying to treat an "sick "fish,that often by the time we treat,the med can and will be the "straw that breaks the camels back".
Sort of like always think whichever fish you found "on the dead one eating it" actually was the "killer".
Careful what you think of what you see if you are not paying close attention.
I use the cancer causing stuff without issue!

I confess I have a nagging doubt with these studies where the fish is captured / store bought and then 'acclimatised' for say a week to a few weeks in the lab tanks.

Rarely do I see it say if tanks were cycled (or just water changes), what water chemistry was, if the fish were in good condition (some of us QT for that long), how old (especially store bought), if an established lab tank, etc, etc. I take it on good faith all is good but often think a few extra lines of text would help. Idk, just depressed on the internet search failure I think lol.

I posted in another thread about my cories and treating ich in my tank with salt with khuli's and cory's. I halfed dosed the tank (29g) at 10 teaspoons for a week. The khuli's were unhappy but survived without harm and the cory's never acted like anything was wrong. Just thought id share my experience

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I posted in another thread about my cories and treating ich in my tank with salt with khuli's and cory's. I halfed dosed the tank (29g) at 10 teaspoons for a week. The khuli's were unhappy but survived without harm and the cory's never acted like anything was wrong. Just thought id share my experience

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the post! Much appreciated.

Thread still going if anyone else has good or bad experience they want to share.

I dose salt with every pwc. I had a pleco (rehomed) otto cats and now a yoyo loach. They all do fine. Minimal dose tho.

My plants have never suffered and hoenstly to me I feel it does help. I have some live breeders and they need some low salt levels, my angel is great and happy and my rams dont mind.

I was in the LFS and they were treating some fish with salt for something. They took one of the small chinese food containers and poked holes in it and let it float with salt in it. I was pretty impressed that some of the fish were actually swapping places swimming up under it rinsing in the salty water coming out. Perhaps coincidence but maybe not.
From everything I read and hear on forums so many fish now are captive bred and used to different PH's and water parameters that they wouldnt be in the wild it now very difficult to tell what certain fish "prefer". I mean my ottos are wild caught and they are loving life in my tank (I mean they dont complain), and salt does have "some" antiseptic properties.

even my snails do fine.

I dose salt with every pwc. I had a pleco (rehomed) otto cats and now a yoyo loach. They all do fine. Minimal dose tho.

My plants have never suffered and hoenstly to me I feel it does help. I have some live breeders and they need some low salt levels, my angel is great and happy and my rams dont mind.

I was in the LFS and they were treating some fish with salt for something. They took one of the small chinese food containers and poked holes in it and let it float with salt in it. I was pretty impressed that some of the fish were actually swapping places swimming up under it rinsing in the salty water coming out. Perhaps coincidence but maybe not.
From everything I read and hear on forums so many fish now are captive bred and used to different PH's and water parameters that they wouldnt be in the wild it now very difficult to tell what certain fish "prefer". I mean my ottos are wild caught and they are loving life in my tank (I mean they dont complain), and salt does have "some" antiseptic properties.

even my snails do fine.

Great post! Appreciate the info. Especially on the plants. What level do you dose to with plants if you don't mind me asking?

Great post! Appreciate the info. Especially on the plants. What level do you dose to with plants if you don't mind me asking?

The salt I use says to use 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. I do a PWC change every week of roughly 40 to even 50% now.
I use maybe like 2 "teaspoons" (plastic spoon) total. so like 1/4 the dose its recommends.

I was REALLY worried at first but a few guys at my LFS's got me into it and they have some planted tanks so I dove in. At first it was while I was trying to figure out a flashing issue with my fish and thought it could be ich. From there I just kept using. I usually will drop it right into my filter basin so it dissolves and gets distributed (not really tested, I just like it that way). I know its minimal because I will actually still find snails in my filter when cleaning the filter fiber and they seem like theyre loving life in there.

Maybe one day something will happen and Ill change my mind but for now its good.

Back
Top Bottom