Cory Cat and Betta compatibility?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ha :) cannibal shrimp :(. I've seen a lot of people writing about giving brine shrimp or blood worms to their fish as treats, where do you get them?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Freeze dried versions of both blood worms and brine shrimp are widely available in many pet stores. It's the live ones that are tricky to find. Reptile stores (at least where I am) tend to have them.

Ok, I've seen the freeze dried ones in lots of pet stores. I was wondering if frozen shrimps or blood worms were any better or worse than the freeze dried ones. Or do fish generally like both?

I find it's more of which version your fish will eat. And of course your preferences.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Bettas do great with cories. I have them with my betta in a 10 gallon

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've got a blue betta & 4 albino cories in a 10g. They get along well. For the most part, the betta sticks to the top while the cories stick to the bottom. About the only time they interact is during feeding time. The betta will go down, taste the corys' sinking pellet, and then spit it out. I think it's his way of expressing his dominance. But the cories are oblivious to it.

I originally started with my betta and when I added the cory cats he tried to charge them. It was hilarious because the albino cories just went right through him like he didn't exist. He learned really fast that there was no point. When I moved them to a larger tank, I moved all the cories and a few other new fish to my new tank and left the betta in its old tank. He was miserable ( seriously). I waited a week and then placed him in a breeding floating tank in the large tank. He was okay for a day so I placed him in the main tank. Because he was the last added, he just found a comfortable spot ( ironically right above where the cories settled in) and stayed there. Now they get along well. I would say it is kind of like putting a dog and a cat together. The cories are happy to hang out with the betta, the betta seems to put up with the cories ( until you aren't looking and then he snuggles up to them - really!). I will always put cories and bettas together - but I think it has to do with how you go about putting them together. If the betta goes in last after everyone else has settled, he can't fight for his territory, because it isn't his. At least this is how I see it. My betta is really happy in my tank, along with his tank mates. Good luck. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey, so I've set up a 10 gallon aquarium that is reaching the homestretch on a fishless cycle and I'm debating what types of fish I plan to get. I know I want to get about 8 dwarf cory cats, either pygmaeus or habrosus, but I'm debating on what other tanks mates would be good. I'm considering getting a betta, but I'm finding conflicting information about keeping corys and bettas together. Some people say that it works fine and they have no problems and some sites say not to put them together? I would have live plants to make them feel safe and have places to hide and would make sure the corys were established in the tank before introducing the betta. My other plan is ember tetras instead of the betta, which aquadvisor says is ok, but i wanted to hear some other thoughts first.

Just FYI C pygmaeus and habrosus are pygmy type Cats not Dwarf. Dwarf cats are bigger.

Bettas are highly variable. Crowntails and Plakats tend to be much more aggressive than most Veiltails.
But some Veils are very aggressive.

Have a backup plan.

I had a Veiltail male in a 12g with 3 Whiteclouds for years. I had up to 6 WCMM but the original 3 kept killing the new ones.

I tried adding juvie Panda Cories. They died. I replaced them and watched carefully. At feeding time my Betta attacked them viciously. I returned them. I didn't have plants or caves. But even if I had, I think this Betta would have killed them.

Regular Dwarf Cories won't fit in a 10g. They get 2.5-3". They can live 10yrs or more. They need more floor space. A 20Long is a better size.

Pygmy species fit fine. Just be wary if you add a Betta.

I've had Bettas off and on for 30yrs. I've managed pet stores and I'm currently a member of a planted tank club. So I'm always learning new things. My Bettas average about 5yrs. My oldest was over 6yrs.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to update my situation, I've since divided my tank and gotten two male bettas from petco that I couldn't bear to leave in those little cups. You know how it is when you start to pity pet shop bettas... The pygmy corydoras, obviously, aren't going to happen anymore, but I may get some snails at some point. Maybe even some shrimp, though probably not as Periwinkle, the white/purple tinted betta, is a hyperactive aggressive little pig and would probably eat them or kill them trying. August, the black/red/blue one, is very relaxed though camera shy, so maybe he'll get some snail tank mates. Anyways, here's the tank now, all set up and cycled. Periwinkle is an elephant ear betta and August was labeled a double tail half moon. Though beautiful, he doesn't quite look like a full Halfmoon to me, maybe he'll grow some more in his new home.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1413418277585.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413418277585.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 71
  • uploadfromtaptalk1413418322490.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413418322490.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 79
  • uploadfromtaptalk1413418452827.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413418452827.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 66
  • uploadfromtaptalk1413418736427.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413418736427.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 74
Thanks for all the advice on cory cats! Though I haven't gotten any for this tank, it's stil fun to hear about everyone else's experiences with them. Good to know that bettas can sometimes be compatible with some types of other fish.

Make sure the divider isn't see thru so they don't stress each other out. Also divided tanks are VERY risky IMHO as Betts jump.

Lovely boys.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The divider is three pieces of black plastic needlepoint mesh. It's as non - see through I can make it without blocking the water completely. There is a cover to the tank and pieces of mesh that fill in the gaps with about a centimeter gap between the water surface. I also put August, with the longer fins, on the side without the filter so he would have less current and the filter is set to low flow and the water quality is good and there is plenty of hiding/resting spots, so hopefully they are less tempted to jump. So far there is no problems, but I read about divided tanks before getting them so I know to keep an eye on them. I followed what everyone else with successful divided tanks has posted, so I'm optimistic. :)

I originally started with my betta and when I added the cory cats he tried to charge them. It was hilarious because the albino cories just went right through him like he didn't exist. He learned really fast that there was no point. When I moved them to a larger tank, I moved all the cories and a few other new fish to my new tank and left the betta in its old tank. He was miserable ( seriously). I waited a week and then placed him in a breeding floating tank in the large tank. He was okay for a day so I placed him in the main tank. Because he was the last added, he just found a comfortable spot ( ironically right above where the cories settled in) and stayed there. Now they get along well. I would say it is kind of like putting a dog and a cat together. The cories are happy to hang out with the betta, the betta seems to put up with the cories ( until you aren't looking and then he snuggles up to them - really!). I will always put cories and bettas together - but I think it has to do with how you go about putting them together. If the betta goes in last after everyone else has settled, he can't fight for his territory, because it isn't his. At least this is how I see it. My betta is really happy in my tank, along with his tank mates. Good luck. :)

Aww, that made me smile :)

That is very cute!

The divider is three pieces of black plastic needlepoint mesh. It's as non - see through I can make it without blocking the water completely. There is a cover to the tank and pieces of mesh that fill in the gaps with about a centimeter gap between the water surface. I also put August, with the longer fins, on the side without the filter so he would have less current and the filter is set to low flow and the water quality is good and there is plenty of hiding/resting spots, so hopefully they are less tempted to jump. So far there is no problems, but I read about divided tanks before getting them so I know to keep an eye on them. I followed what everyone else with successful divided tanks has posted, so I'm optimistic. :)

Excellent. Glad you did your homework ?

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I keep a young Crown Tail Betta in a 20g community. Also in this tank are 3 Juli Cories, 1 Bamboo shrimp, 2 Mystery snails, and 1 Bristles nose pleco. They are all fairly young and seem to get along. Though I have noticed the Betta is beginning to chase the Cories once in awhile, usually when they actively swim up and down and around the tank. I think he just gets annoyed. Like many comments here, Bettas have personalities and as mine matures he is getting a little more aggressive. He was very small when I got him.

Crown Tails can be much more aggressive than Veils.
Keep an eye on your Cories. My Betta killed off my Cories, but I didn't have as big a tank and didn't have proper decor/plants at the time.

And check to know if you actually have C julii or C trilineatus. Very few people have true julii. Most have 3 lined trilineatus Cories.

http://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/c_trilineatus.htm

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom