Cory Type Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unknown_7

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering if I were to put some cories in a 15 gallon planted tank, but I wanted one of the smaller cory species that would be happy in that size tank, which of the species would be my best bet?

My first two choices where pygmies or pandas.
Pgymies: are really small, not really "unattractive" and over apparently good fish although can be a bit timid and need a couple in a group. My problem is that they apparently stay in the mid-section of the tank when I prefer a cory species that says at the bottom.

Pandas: the only truly attractive species of cory IMO, and stay small. My problem is that they are fairly expensive and they are fragile to water conditions.

Any opinions on which would be a more suitable species, any species that I didn't mention would be great!

Yup, pandas are adorable. While not as common as some other types they seem to be showing up more. :) Had not heard they were sensitive as to water. They do need very small gravel or sand for a substrate. And it should be kept clean, too much junk built up can lead to sick pandas. But then most, if not all cories would appreciate such care. lol
Another option is my personal favorite, the peppered cory. They get a bit larger, but are considered hardy, even for cories. And they too are cute as heck in a 'herd'. :D

:) I vote with pandas also. JeffreyL is right - you need to keep from delevoping too much mulm on the bottom of the tank - that will definitely make them sick. However, with good substrate maintenance and watching for overfeeding the top dwellers you should be fine.

Alright, I guess I will go with pandas. I do have one last question though. I was wondering if there is anyone here who have been able to keep their pygmy cories at the lower portion of their tank? Pygmies although not as attractive as the pandas, are much smaller and I think would appear nicer since they apparently prefer smaller tanks in comparison to their size so that they feel secure since they a timid fish. So 5 pandas are able to be kept in a 15 gallon no problem right?

Thanks for all you help everyone.

Pandas only get to be 1.8 - 2 inches, so they stay quite small and spend about 85% of there time on the bottom. The rest of the time mine are playing bubble wall dive bomb or just taking a fast cruise "above" just to check things out.
If you're worried about overdoing your bioload you can get away with doing just 3 of the pandas - I started with 3 and they were happy enough but of course more is better. I had 6, now have 4 (danged ick) and plan on getting 3 more once the ich treatment is over.

I have a pair of bronze corys in my 10 g and they always stay on the bottom. If fed well they're bronze coloring and really be nice. They don't get larger then 2 inches I beleive.

I have three julii's, primarily because the tank is heavily planted and I want to be able to see them. Plus, they are a great color match for my Marble Angels. Since the tank is heavily planted, I don't worry about mulm too much.

Back
Top Bottom