Corys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobb12

Aquarium Advice Regular
i just got 2 new peppered corys and i was wandering how to identify if they are male or female since i cannot seem to find anywhere online that explains it.

I have been told that the female is slightly bigger than the male and plumper. Someone on this site referred me to planetcatfish.com and they really have a great site explaining all types of catfish! Cory's however, usually like to be in at least a school of 3 (that is what I got for my 10g with one betta).

The male cories look more like a torpedo and the females look like a barrel with a nose and tail. It's easier to see the difference looking at the fish from the top than the side. Once you see a male and female side by side the descriptions will make a LOT more sense.

If they are younger corys you may not be able to sex them till they grow up a bit. I have 4 peppered and I still have no clue what sex they are. Mine are about 1" including the tail. They are still fairly young and they all look identical to me. I wish there was an easier way to tell :(

Wish we could see a pic with a female and male side-by-side for comparison.

Ya it would be nice to see a pic if anyone has one. I just dont want to name them steve and rick if they are two girls. lol. and i am planning to get another cory in a few days so that there will be 3 of em.

Oh and while im on this thread already i was wandering how exactly to feed the corys. I got sinkng shrimp pellets for them but they are two big for them to eat. But when i chop them up they either dont float or the betta eats them on their way down. Are they getting enough food just from nibbling on the larger peices already down there

They should pick at the pellets once they sink. You shouldn't have to grind them up or anything. I usually feed mine algae wafers (small green discs) and they all go nuts once they sink and start expanding from the water.

I feed them the shrimp pellets and algae wafers. Sometimes I will forget to drop one in but they have enough to feed off of in the substrate.

so them just pickin at the pellet which is like 1/4 their body size i s enough there is no need to break it down

Yes, just drop it in, it will expand once it gets soaked, once it does that they go nuts for it. The same thing goes for the algae wafers, they are solid green about the size of a penny. When they sink they soften up and expand, allowing them to nibble on it. Same thing goes with any vegetables, soften them up and they can chomp on it :)

Mine usually fine whatever I dropped (pellet or wafer) within a few seconds. Wait a few minutes and all 6 of my cories are all over it, eating till its gone.

It depends on the variety you get. The dwarf varieties max out around 1" while some get as large as 4-5".

Back
Top Bottom