Dan's First Journal - Iwagumi Style - GLA Rimless 36-L 6g Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brian- yup, fungus is no match for the GuppyMan any longer lol. I will get a day 1 to current pic up here as soon as I can get to my computer. And yeah, I was just ordering the lily pipes, but then I remembered I got paid yesterday and said "what the heck" haha. You know how you feel rich until you spend it all. Hopefully I didn't spend too much :hide:

Bill- thank ya! Still can't believe the DHG is faster than the HC!!

Penguin- yeah, I was really surprised at how fast the painfully slow Belem grew...interesting. Mine took about a week to get rooted in well though. So yours should shoot off really soon since you have the regular DHG. That fungus should be gone soon, if you did what I did...it seemed to work well haha. No worries about hijacking, I honestly do not care...lol. Thanks :)

Ugggggh guys...I think there is like some algae or something in this tank! How you ask? Well I was looking at the cute little roots of the HC throught the tank and saw the buried substrate and roots were green! Is it too wet in there? I haven't sprayed for like a week and it is still always dripping wet in there. Aye. What is the issue now...?

Little update real quick before I go to work.

ib07TsKzfUE640.jpeg
I got the music note diffuser!

iTvgvvzrMkM4M.jpeg
Who needs directions?

But really, it is an awesome piece of glass, surprised it is such good quality and only took about 2 weeks to get here from Hong Kong

ivzoP7VumC5nt.jpeg
Looks good!

ikgs8D8u8t0rb.jpeg
Oh! I JUST found out that the DHG has been invading the HC forever now and I just realized it! The runners spread a good 5 inches into it lol, they grow pretty fast actually :lol:

ieJXvi1eXCWhO.jpeg

Aaaand that's all we have time for today! Tune in next time for more!

The diffuser looks great! That seller is surprisingly fast coming from across the planet and all. Just don't beak it Dan! You'll need a little finesse getting the tubing over the stem. Like put the end of the tube in some hot water prior to getting it to stretch over the glass.

Anway, looks like this DSM truly is effective. The plants appear to be filling in at an astonishing rate! I might have to try that someday -- if i can ever find some patience! LOL

The diffuser looks great! That seller is surprisingly fast coming from across the planet and all. Just don't beak it Dan! You'll need a little finesse getting the tubing over the stem. Like put the end of the tube in some hot water prior to getting it to stretch over the glass.

Anway, looks like this DSM truly is effective. The plants appear to be filling in at an astonishing rate! I might have to try that someday -- if i can ever find some patience! LOL

Yeah I am surprised at how fast it got here. +1 to China lol. And yeah dude I dropped it right after I took it out the box on tile lol! It was okay though. I'm so clumsy...I had to get a lighter and eat up the end of the clear tubing to fit over the 106 haha.

Yeah, DSM is definitely they way to go with these I would have to say! I guess the people that said the Belem is "painfully slow" is when you try to grow it submerged, so hopefully it will slow down a bit once I flood it. I can't imagine how fast regular DHG grows emersed!

I just ordered another little something from China. I swear this.thing looks just like the Cal Aqua Clip-N Drop Checker.. Hmm, let's think...$10 versus $50, which do i buy? Haha

Hope it gets here as fast as the NAG aqua diffuser..lol

Screenshot_2013-04-12-13-30-40.jpg

Yeah it's all a matter of preference. On the contrary, I've always wanted one but thought they were too expensive. I like the idea of no suction cups - hence the NAG diffusers too :)

But that Cal Aqua drop checker you ordered with the two chambers is nice too... Fancy! I like! Haha

Yeah, I despise suction cups too lol. Hopefully it won't be too much of a distraction. I also hate how the tube to the diffuser would have to be dangling around in the water, so the music note will be nice since its all glass :D I ordered the nano drop checker- I don't think it is the two chamber one though...eh, I just got a note on my front porch saying that the GLA stuff is at the PO and I have to get it by 11 tomorrow. Ugh why didn't they just leave it here haha

Whooop whooop! Got all the Cal Aqua Labs stuff in today!

iAs2lWyZxQAyq.jpeg
This looks promising...

iPxqVUeObwIym.jpeg
A box full of packing peanuts is always a good sign

iIe6nFOFbiMOi.jpeg
First thing I pull out. Some CO2 tubing : )

ibegdao01hDQkt.jpeg
Fancy boxes...

iCnyRU4QpeDqV.jpeg
An upside down picture of lily pipes in their luxury boxes

iVVxCo6DoLOWU.jpeg
Some CO2 glassware! Must be my drop checker and bubble counter.

iLPsVIOZ1XJ77.jpeg
The input pipe.

ibhQEq1XgZdBls.jpeg

iFcPi1k5ab2Bk.jpeg
Cal Aqua Labs ; )

icR1u2rhbxbAw.jpeg
The output pipe.

Let us stop right here real quick. AMAZING GLASS WORK! Lol. these things are so fragile and crafted with such quality...I hope I dont break them lol. they are a lot smaller than I expected, but perfect for the tank.

imZGWlLxEQMY3.jpeg
The drop checker! This thing is SMALL! should blend in great with the other glass.

idckYcJG9TRGL.jpeg
Size comparison to a single packing peanut.

ibb6WDPI1mNyAV.jpeg
Comes with the solution, awesome!

iby0zaaKHP7N1C.jpeg
Next we have the Cal Aqua "Double Counter"

ibuuAoNZi5UUEC.jpeg
Very well crafted piece of glass. Fanciest bubble counter I have ever seen lol.

And that is all the stuff! Now to see how it all looks in the tank...

iENaaM34uDee1.jpeg
Wonderful!!

Oh, I got the etched window film on it with no bubbles FINALLY! Thanks Bill for telling me how to do it properly!

Last edited:
The DSM has nearly caught you up to me! And your glassware is nicer than mine! Grrr! I'm upset now! Thanks Dan....:(

Looks like I need to charge up the credit card, order some cal aqua stuff, and put my blyxa on steroids! Hahaha

The DSM has nearly caught you up to me! And your glassware is nicer than mine! Grrr! I'm upset now! Thanks Dan....:(

Looks like I need to charge up the credit card, order some cal aqua stuff, and put my blyxa on steroids! Hahaha

Hahaha yeah DSM apparently is winning this match... :D plus I planted mine like a month after you planted yours sooo... :rolleyes: Lol. Whatever happened to your lily pipes? I am curious to see how they turn out. China has been good to me lately, you just have bad luck LOL.

Lol yeah all that glass was about $160 total shipped, not bad. I could afford it at least. I have my own little aquarium bank I save up from each pay check, and my aquarium charity lol.

I wouldn't say you're winning the race... I've trimmed my HC down twice so far... :D and my blyxa is growing crazy fast since it bounced back... Just wait for my next update homeboy! ;)

Oh and my cheapo lily pipes "should" be here anytime. I don't even think about it anymore. When and if they get here, they get here... Ya know what I mean? I'm not even looking forward to it anymore...

OH! And also, don't forget I have a second 12L waiting for me to finish my family room remodel. Eventually I'll have twinzies! Hahaha

I wouldn't say you're winning the race... I've trimmed my HC down twice so far... :D and my blyxa is growing crazy fast since it bounced back... Just wait for my next update homeboy! ;)

Oh and my cheapo lily pipes "should" be here anytime. I don't even think about it anymore. When and if they get here, they get here... Ya know what I mean? I'm not even looking forward to it anymore...

OH! And also, don't forget I have a second 12L waiting for me to finish my family room remodel. Eventually I'll have twinzies! Hahaha

Haha! Psh, my HC is still better :p my blyx is still sitting there. slowly melting away...lol. I cannot wait for your next update!

Yeah hah, whenever they get here, "yay", but you are fine without them. I get it

You should make a thing like Rcguerra did! Like put the other 12L beside this one, and continue the scape!

Haha! Psh, my HC is still better :p my blyx is still sitting there. slowly melting away...lol. I cannot wait for your next update!

Yeah hah, whenever they get here, "yay", but you are fine without them. I get it

You should make a thing like Rcguerra did! Like put the other 12L beside this one, and continue the scape!

Look at us arguing about who's fish tank is better... What a couple dorks... Hahaha

Nah nah, I've got a fireplace in the middle of the room, I'm gonna do built ins on either side and have a 12L on either side. I'm looking to build something similar to this...
img_2434959_0_6fcdaa9ae5a8a26f7943cd2143088194.jpg
whoops, sorry to hijack... :eyes:

Back
Top Bottom