Dan's First Journal - Iwagumi Style - GLA Rimless 36-L 6g Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Look at us arguing about who's fish tank is better... What a couple dorks... Hahaha

Nah nah, I've got a fireplace in the middle of the room, I'm gonna do built ins on either side and have a 12L on either side. I'm looking to build something similar to this...
img_2434966_0_6fcdaa9ae5a8a26f7943cd2143088194.jpg
whoops, sorry to hijack... :eyes:

Hah! Yeah, mine is still better. :lol: J/K, a fish tank is a fish tank no matter how it looks :rolleyes:

That would be really cool too! Can't wait to see what you come up with. and I don't care if you are hijacking, I was interested in the first place lol.

Hah! Yeah, mine is still better. :lol: J/K, a fish tank is a fish tank no matter how it looks :rolleyes:

That would be really cool too! Can't wait to see what you come up with. and I don't care if you are hijacking, I was interested in the first place lol.

Yeah, now if I could just get off the couch and get some work done...:)

Nice glassware Dan! That DSM side-by-side really puts things in perspective.. We might have to do DSM on the 60-F. Maybe! Haha

Bill- LOL yeah, I was supposed to make cookies 2 hours ago but am still on this darn website hahaa.

Brian- Yeah man! I never really thought anything was actually growing until I saw what it was a while back! I guess it really does make a difference lol.

Okay mini update before work again...

iGzuR4XjnuUZZ.jpeg
Wow! the DHG has grown all the way back and even further into the HC! Geesh i am pulling it out almost daily now!

iZmVbMcP4feDR.jpeg
The red line indicates where I had planted the DHG initially, and anything past the red line is how much it has filled in since day 1.

icp40Tyye85Li.jpeg
And as we know, every good story has to have a problem, so here is my new issue...I have been seeing these little bugs crawling around all in the soil, HC, and DHG. What are they? I circled a little clutch of them and then one lonely one, but I am concerned by them...what should I do about it if anything?

And as we know, every good story has to have a problem, so here is my new issue...I have been seeing these little bugs crawling around all in the soil, HC, and DHG. What are they? I circled a little clutch of them and then one lonely one, but I am concerned by them...what should I do about it if anything?
I zoomed in but still could not see them clearly. Do they resemble what is depicted below? If so then they are pillbugs. They go by other names as well. Crustaceans I believe, some terrestrial and some aquatic. Once you flood they'll prolly drown or crawl out. They are apparently not a threat to the DHG.
image-4234904091.jpg
image-552625994.jpg
image-3216804408.jpg

I was wondering, since it seems that you don't want your dhg and hc mixing if you could try some of those plastic dividers as a blocker for the runners.

I've seen a few other members post about using them as substrate control systems and such, but I feel like if they were firmly rooted all the way to the base glass it would stop runners. Some substrate should be able to cover the tops without much conflict.

I'm sure you don't want to go messing with the chance of ruining your scape right now (which is looking awesome by the way), and you've probably considered it already but I thought I'd throw it out there as a suggestion.

No, I don't think it is a pillbug. They are like white gnats, as you can see they are a fraction of the size of a single HC leaf, which are very small...I am not sure. I think they can fly also. Hm....

Also, I was going to put some little dividers in there but forgot to :oops: if I can't keep up with the DHG and keep it groomed well (which I think I can manage) I should be fine...

Hope they're not some kind of aphid that made it in your tank somehow... They might start eating your plants! You might wanna throw a ladybug in there, Dan... ;) haha

Hope they're not some kind of aphid that made it in your tank somehow... They might start eating your plants! You might wanna throw a ladybug in there, Dan... ;) haha

They may be!! I actually found a ladybug in my guppy tank...:hide: ugh. I don't know how to get rid of these things! Is there some pesticide that won't hurt the plants or something?? Gahh why is it always something!

Hmm, maybe they got in there while it was open... Do you leave it open with the light on?

I know what you mean... I just found snails in my 12! Always something...

Since they can fly, perhaps a type of fungus gnat? The kind often seen around houseplants. Not sure if it is a problem or not.

I guess this is worth a thorough google lol. Yeah I saw some gnats flying around in there and then those little white things crawling around and burrowing in the soil.... :ermm::confused:

Back
Top Bottom