DIY filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

momo

Aquarium Advice Freak
What would be good for filter media? my lfs doesnt really have any. so i was thinking of sponges in the filer or somthing. any ideas?

I wouldn't go the route of commercial cleaning sponges for filter media. Filter media are designed to allow water to flow through them, trapping large particles to remove them from the water. Sponges are designed to absorb water instead.

Also be aware that the majority of sponges have some type of soap in them, and wouldn't be safe anywhere near your aquarium.

If the LFS doesn't have any filter media for even the most common filters, and you don't have any pet chain stores, I'd look to buy what you need online.

What do you want to do with the DIY media? I've cut canister filter foam to suit my needs and many people have used polyfill. AquaClear sponges may offer the best bang for your buck as mechanical filtration.

I use 100% polyfill in all my filters. In my Aqua Clear 50's I'll keep the sponge at the bottom but the rest is polyfill. I've been using the same bag for probably 4 years now. I reuse the same piece until it basically falls apart. 1 bag cost probably $5 and has lasted years. You can also wrap some around your intakes in fry tanks - a cheap prefilter.

Big jim, all im wanting to do is have more places for good bacteria to grow, i have a 10g tank with gravel and filter, and im working on the cycle.

What type and model of filter do you have? Some filters have plenty of room for extra media but some really only accept the filter "cartridge" that is made for it.

Sent from my Droid using Aquarium Advice app

I wouldn't go the route of commercial cleaning sponges for filter media. Filter media are designed to allow water to flow through them, trapping large particles to remove them from the water. Sponges are designed to absorb water instead.

Also be aware that the majority of sponges have some type of soap in them, and wouldn't be safe anywhere near your aquarium.

If the LFS doesn't have any filter media for even the most common filters, and you don't have any pet chain stores, I'd look to buy what you need online.

+1; The sponges we had for our pots used to leak dye.

What about a natural spong? no color/dye

they sell tons at the local walmart

Most sponges sold for cleaning tend to have antimicrobial stuff in them so they are not aquarium safe.

im talknig all natural sea sponges.

and if i were to get one, should i boil it just to be safe?

I honestly don't think you would gain much. What exactly are you trying to do? Save a buck? If so use polyfil, like suggested.

blue filter pad cut to size and polyfiber. the blue/white pad(312'' kind) gets a lot of gunk stuck in it quick, so you will be rinsing them 2xs a week, lol. polyfiber is great , grab a handful and shove it in so nothing will by-pass. it is great stuff, i also use it instead of carbon in my aquaclears, top off my aqueons, place in extra spots of marineland bio-wheels (cuz im a bacteria hoarder)greaT for extra polishing and bio- bacteria media.

also....zeolite is good for some applications and it is reusable/rechargeable, by soaking it in salty water overnight it is supposed to regain 80% of its retention/absorbtion capacity. buy bottles of carbon or zeolite or mix of the two and add it when you need it.

Back
Top Bottom