Dwarf puffer advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I add ferts every second day. Also, when removing the puffers, make sure you scoop them out of the bag with a cup or something that can hold water because if they get to the air and they are stressed out, which they most likely will be, then they'll fill up with air and won't be able to expel it, resulting in death. Tank looks great though! Hopefully you can get them to breed!

Nils

That's probably not the best combination of fish as bumblebee gobies are brackish fish. That said, it's pretty awesome that you've got such amicable puffers! I don't think I'm going to give mine the chance to be nice lol.

Speaking of the puffers themselves, they're in the mail, shipped today! As soon as I've got them I'll post some pictures. The plants continue to grow wonderfully. How often should I add fertilizers? Should I add fertilizers following water changes?

BB Gobies are not brackish they are freshwater. Trust me did lots of research.

10 Things to Know About Gobies: Bumblebee Gobies, by Peter McKane

Mine are VERY active and healthy. Regardless I use a tad of aquarium salt in the tanks anyway for other reasons.

Im going by what I have seen in the stores, what they told me and what I have seen myself and read.

If food is readily available and they dont feel the need to compete you should be fine and they will not harass each other. Not saying one could just not be a jerk in general tho.
They are no where NEAR as messy as others say, Maybe Im lucky or maybe its cause I do a 50% wc every week.
Its hard to know male to female because they
1) one will not show until maturity by a line under the belly and some by the spots
2) I have also read these fish like others almost all start female and then change as they mature.

Anyone who says you are getting a pair is prob either not 100% guaranteeing it or sending you older more mature fish and if thats the case like any animal they will be set in there way and may not take kindly to others. Mine both came from the same tank in the LFS with lots of java moss and I put them in a tank with lots of plants and space.

At first I start second guessing my purchase as they NEVER came out and it was impossible to feed them (except snails) but they soon mellowed out and are all over and never bother anything else nor each other and the gobies do great.

On a side note I accidentally sucked one BB Goby up with my siphon like 2 or 3 weeks ago. Poor little fish almost went down the toilet but lucky some strange psycic link made me look in the bucket first and the poor guy was start white and confused. I NEVER saw a fish swim himself into a net to be caught.

BB Gobies are not brackish they are freshwater. Trust me did lots of research.

10 Things to Know About Gobies: Bumblebee Gobies, by Peter McKane

Mine are VERY active and healthy. Regardless I use a tad of aquarium salt in the tanks anyway for other reasons.

Im going by what I have seen in the stores, what they told me and what I have seen myself and read.

If food is readily available and they dont feel the need to compete you should be fine and they will not harass each other. Not saying one could just not be a jerk in general tho.
They are no where NEAR as messy as others say, Maybe Im lucky or maybe its cause I do a 50% wc every week.
Its hard to know male to female because they
1) one will not show until maturity by a line under the belly and some by the spots
2) I have also read these fish like others almost all start female and then change as they mature.

Anyone who says you are getting a pair is prob either not 100% guaranteeing it or sending you older more mature fish and if thats the case like any animal they will be set in there way and may not take kindly to others. Mine both came from the same tank in the LFS with lots of java moss and I put them in a tank with lots of plants and space.

At first I start second guessing my purchase as they NEVER came out and it was impossible to feed them (except snails) but they soon mellowed out and are all over and never bother anything else nor each other and the gobies do great.

On a side note I accidentally sucked one BB Goby up with my siphon like 2 or 3 weeks ago. Poor little fish almost went down the toilet but lucky some strange psycic link made me look in the bucket first and the poor guy was start white and confused. I NEVER saw a fish swim himself into a net to be caught.

Huh, never knew that about the gobies. Although the link you provide still suggests both species are brackish.

The guy who I got them from isn't guaranteeing it at all; I just asked him to try and sex them and he said he would do that. No harm done if I don't end up with a pair.

Huh, never knew that about the gobies. Although the link you provide still suggests both species are brackish.

The guy who I got them from isn't guaranteeing it at all; I just asked him to try and sex them and he said he would do that. No harm done if I don't end up with a pair.

after a set in period, youll like them either way. Mine came from the store to the house in 5 minutes. Man yours are being shipped. Hope they acclimate fast.

good luck

after a set in period, youll like them either way. Mine came from the store to the house in 5 minutes. Man yours are being shipped. Hope they acclimate fast.

good luck

Oh I know I'll like them no matter what. I just really love spawning different fish if I can!

I'm going to drip acclimate them for a good long time I think. My multifasciatus were shipped as well but they settled right in, hopefully the puffers do as well.

So an update, for the maybe one or two people following along:

According to USPS my fish will be here Thursday. I don't really know what to believe though because they literally haven't updated the tracking since yesterday when it was accepted. i've realized that tracking with USPS doesn't actually do anything..... gahhhh

What do dark green tips on plants mean, by the way? Should I be concerned?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429655844.719226.jpg

This may help. Who says I haven't been following along? :) I've wanted a puffer for ages!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

View attachment 270590

This may help. Who says I haven't been following along? :) I've wanted a puffer for ages!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Well thanks for following! Never really intended this to be a build thread but it turned into that. But that chart doesn't show what my plants are doing- most of the leaf looks a bright, healthy green while just the tips are dark. Maybe it's phosphate? How much of a risk is overfertilizing?

I'm still following! I have so many pest snails and am really considering a DP :whistle:

I'm still following! I have so many pest snails and am really considering a DP :whistle:

You could send them to me! I tried establishing pest snails in my two 20 gallons and my multies destroyed the two I put in there, can't find the ones I put in the other tank.

Of all the times for snails not to take over a tank!

You could send them to me! I tried establishing pest snails in my two 20 gallons and my multies destroyed the two I put in there, can't find the ones I put in the other tank.

Of all the times for snails not to take over a tank!

Crazy, isn't it? I clearly have them in two tanks now, neither of which has had anything added or changed recently.

I guess I'd better reeeaaally hope they eat frozen bloodworms and shrimp then. Otherwise I might have to resort to digging up earthworms.

I guess I'd better reeeaaally hope they eat frozen bloodworms and shrimp then. Otherwise I might have to resort to digging up earthworms.

Might be a long shot but could you post locally on Craigslist? You really only need a few to get started. I know people also ask for them at Petco, Petsmart, etc.

Might be a long shot but could you post locally on Craigslist? You really only need a few to get started. I know people also ask for them at Petco, Petsmart, etc.

I know where to get them- there's a fish store near here that'll give them to me for free. It's just that they haven't established themselves at all- I haven't seen them since I added them to the 20 gallon "South American" on Saturday and I'm worried theyre dead.

What kind of snails? A booming population of pest snails indicates over feeding.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I tend to think that the real culprit for a pest snail problem is that the fishkeeper has a stocking imbalance- specifically a lack of loaches ;)

The pufferfish are currently en route from southern Maine. I'm removing the tetras back to their 20 gallon home (and uprooting everything in the process). Once they're gone the tank will be 100% ready!

Can never have too many loaches! :p

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Nope! My fiance think's were getting a 55 gallon for angelfish but what she doesn't realize is that the angelfish are just to placate her... We're getting a 55 for a school of angelicus loaches!

Nope! My fiance think's were getting a 55 gallon for angelfish but what she doesn't realize is that the angelfish are just to placate her... We're getting a 55 for a school of angelicus loaches!

They are definitely a sight to see! Beautiful and active.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom