Dwarf puffer advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It took my puffer around 5 days to get used to food after I introduced him, and after that he practically begged me for food! Once they get used to you, they'll come up to the surface and ind of stick their noses and foreheads out of the water, and I feel bad if I don't give him food :lol: I'd stick with snails for a while. BTW, these puffed beaks don't grow, so snails aren't necessary. It's just a myth about them, just like people say they are brackish water fish (Which they aren't)

It took my puffer around 5 days to get used to food after I introduced him, and after that he practically begged me for food! Once they get used to you, they'll come up to the surface and ind of stick their noses and foreheads out of the water, and I feel bad if I don't give him food :lol: I'd stick with snails for a while. BTW, these puffed beaks don't grow, so snails aren't necessary. It's just a myth about them, just like people say they are brackish water fish (Which they aren't)

I've read they still grow, just not nearly as fast as the other puffer species.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

So I've actually seen a DP at my LFS with a really overgrown one. Asked them about it and they said it's over a year old and refuses snails and that was why. Because it wasn't like that before apparently.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
10g betta, nano fish, shrimp
3g betta

Hmm, I guess I was wrong. I haven't seen any growth, but I'll have to look out for that. Thanks for the heads up!

My old DP never had overgrown teeth and I never fed hard shelled food. I only fed seafood meat without the shell.

Well, I'm not too worried about it, because I have snails in the tank. Mostly at this point I'm just worrying about parasites. I think I'm going to add three oto catfish to the tank, and since they are prone to parasites as well, I'll treat the whole tank at once. Does that sound like a good plan? Would it be bad to treat both the tank and the food with prazipro?

Well they no longer seem interested much in the frozen bloodworms. They pick at them as they sink but as soon as they hit the bottom that's it. Although I see an empty snail so maybe they're full on those? Ideas?

DP can get bored, try some frozen brine shrimp to diversify their diet

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

How wold are the bloodworms? Mine would only eat them if they were still a bright red or still really red, once they turn brownish-blackish they're not good anymore. You can feed the old ones to your shell dwellers or something, but open up a new thing of bloodworms and see if they'll take it. That worked for me. I used the Marineland San Francisco Bay Brand frozen bloodworms, what brand are you using?

DP can get bored, try some frozen brine shrimp to diversify their diet

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I tried brine shrimp the other day but they were having none of it. I'm starting to think they've just eaten the snails and are a little stuffed lol. They don't look thin.

Dwarf puffers! I'm not a good photographer and they're smaller than my finger nails so I just can't get a clear shot of them. Still, hope you enjoy :)
watch

nice, theyll get bigger.

Not much but enough to notice. Mine are the same size as my adult BB Gobies.

They are smart as heck to.

That's awesome Theresa! Where did you get yours?

Same seller as you!

Sad to say one of them died overnight, no idea why :( Water params are great, I did a long acclimation and after settled in the tank they were active, had good color, and even ate a few tiny snails. Really hope the other one is ok.

Same seller as you!

Sad to say one of them died overnight, no idea why :( Water params are great, I did a long acclimation and after settled in the tank they were active, had good color, and even ate a few tiny snails. Really hope the other one is ok.

Mine are still doing quite well, so I imagine it's not the sellers fault. Poor little guy, I'm sorry :(

Same seller as you!

Puffers are so sensitive. I'd imagine it was from the stress of shipping. Sorry it happened to you. Losing puffers are the worst.

Definitely not blaming the seller, just sad about the situation. The second isn't looking well this evening :(

So sorry about your puffer dying. They are really sensitive and it isn't your fault. DOn't let that discourage you from keeping these little guys. The picture you took is really good, mine is really camera shy and darts away from the camera every time :lol: Hope your second one is getting better.

Back
Top Bottom