Eggy's fish and tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Danbury aquarium society (DAAS) annual auction in carmel ny on Sunday

Lots of killi keepers in the club...lots of goodieds (sp?) some lake Victoria, lots of SA/CA cichlids (you wouldn't believe some of the sevs and geophagus and stuff I've seen go for so cheap). Killis are awesome but I want to try to downsize/specialize for the time being. If I have a house at some point...maybe I'll change my mind ;)
If there's something on there you're dying for I could try to grab it and hold onto it until it's warmer out

Oh hey, one of the active ingredients is epsom salt :lol:
Correct ! and the last is Metro....
The second some anti fungal product..
What Is Imidazole? (with pictures)

Awesome thanks Brooks let me know what I owe you.
Any harm in feeding as a preventative? I assume no but just figured I would ask.

Treatment Period: Feed HEX SHIELD pellets for three (3) days for best results. Usage Frequency: HEX SHIELD treatment is able to be repeated if needed to combat outbreaks. Note: These pellets should not be used as an ongoing diet for your aquarium fish. Note: Treatment not effective if fish are not eating the pellets. Indications: if aquarium fish appear to be losing substantial weight even when eating. HEX SHIELD Combats: Flagellates and organisms that cause intestinal disorders such as: Hexamita Spironuleus HEX SHIELD Inclusion of food is an effective means of delivering treatment to the intestinal system

Taken from;
AquariaTech

Correct ! and the last is Metro....
The second some anti fungal product..
What Is Imidazole? (with pictures)

Treatment Period: Feed HEX SHIELD pellets for three (3) days for best results. Usage Frequency: HEX SHIELD treatment is able to be repeated if needed to combat outbreaks. Note: These pellets should not be used as an ongoing diet for your aquarium fish. Note: Treatment not effective if fish are not eating the pellets. Indications: if aquarium fish appear to be losing substantial weight even when eating. HEX SHIELD Combats: Flagellates and organisms that cause intestinal disorders such as: Hexamita Spironuleus HEX SHIELD Inclusion of food is an effective means of delivering treatment to the intestinal system

Taken from;
AquariaTech

So then it's everything but the kitchen sink to treat spironucleus! For now I'll stick with my epsom salt soaking treatment but in the future I'm going to pick some of that stuff up maybe...

I've considered getting some of this stuff as precaution.

I wouldn't want you to have to hold fish for me or pay $90 to ship $15 fish, but I appreciate the offer.

What would you like to specialize in?

Brenna

I hear you. I figure with warmer weather I wouldn't have to next day and it might not be so bad but that's no guarantee
I really enjoy cories obviously, and I would like to do more Tanganyikan cichlid species eventually. Would like to get more eretmodus and maybe try my hand at breeding...featherfins...frontosa...more shelldwellers (sumbu dwarf!) lepidiolamprologus elongatus, some other larger fish. Also can't turn down a sweet loach. Other than that I'll hang on to what I have (SDs, otos, farlowella, angel, hatchets, Odessa barbs, shrimp, kerri tetras) but probably won't look to expand any of that. Eventually I might like to keep more uncommon silver dollars but not until I have the space to do it.

So I've gone from 30% to 50% distilled water in the cory tank with no change to ph from then til now, still testing at 7.6
I'm getting so frustrated trying to spawn these guys. I mean seriously how hard does this have to be...they're cories! Agh! I got tons of eggs from other species in the past without all the nonsense.

So I've gone from 30% to 50% distilled water in the cory tank with no change to ph from then til now, still testing at 7.6
I'm getting so frustrated trying to spawn these guys. I mean seriously how hard does this have to be...they're cories! Agh! I got tons of eggs from other species in the past without all the nonsense.

You need a tds meter, you can alter the disolved solids quite a bit before the ph changes.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What does one typically do to alter the TDS? This is all new for me...jut normally run with the tap water

Easiest way to lower TDS is use ro,ro/di or distilled water.
TDS is very broad.
Total Disolved Solids.
All and any with no specification....
I ro then remineralize my water with Epsom salt ,calcium chloride(ice melter) and baking soda...
cories really don't like to have salts in their water from my reading.
This would be tested with the Gh I believe.
To lower Gh you are back at using 'pure' water...

What does one typically do to alter the TDS? This is all new for me...jut normally run with the tap water

Distilled water has little to no tds. So let's say you have a 10 gallon tank full of tap water with a tds of 350, you then remove 4 gallons and replace it with distilled or ro. Now your tds might be somewhere near 200, because you have diluted the mixture and lessened the dissolved solids in the water. Now let's say the ph before the addition of the distilled water was 7.8, after adding the distilled water there was little to no change, yet because the tds is lower the water is softer. This is why a lot of us say that ph doesn't mean squat when it comes to getting parameters where the fish like it. You usually won't see a bit change in ph until there is a pretty drastic change in the tds, but you do have to take care to make the changes slowly in order to avoid osmotic shock.

Thanks guys. Sounds like making water softer and more acidic are two different processes that may coincide depending on content? I guess I should really just take the time to get a tds meter and test kits.

Thanks guys. Sounds like making water softer and more acidic are two different processes that may coincide depending on content? I guess I should really just take the time to get a tds meter and test kits.

The easiest way to see this difference is take 1 gallon of distilled or ro water and add a small amount of tap water, there will be a definite change in the ph and just a small one to the tds.

I like chemistry...just have to dump some stuff out of my brain to make room for new stuff and take the time to learn it. I appreciate all of the solid advice and everyone being patient with me.

One of my daughters is a chem major, I get a lot of help from her!

I'm a chem minor, but buffers still confuse me :lol: It took me ages to feel like I had any sort of grip on KH, GH, pH and TDS and how they fit together.

I'm really starting to like the TDS-centric method. It's not perfect but it seems like the most consistent way to get a certain water quality.

Back
Top Bottom