Evans 20 Gallon Nano Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great! Thanks :)

Now I have some live sand left over from when I started the tank! It's been kept in the bag with a rubber band around it. I doubt it's still "live" but will it still be okay to add to the new tank!

Great! Thanks :)

Now I have some live sand left over from when I started the tank! It's been kept in the bag with a rubber band around it. I doubt it's still "live" but will it still be okay to add to the new tank!

Since its not still live it will have some dead bacteria etc in it. It may cause a mini cycle. I guess you can use the sand you already have in the tank, I have just been told stirring up the sand can cause nitrate spikes. If you have the space, you may want to consider setting up the new tank, using the left over sand, moving over maybe half of your rock and letting the new tank cycle for a week before completing the transfer.

Hey guys, if I wanted to transfer over to the 20 gallon, could I do this at night when the lights are off? Will it be less stressful for livestock? More stressful? Thanks

Just finished the transfer! I think it went okay. All the fish and livestock are alive! It's amazing how cramped my old tank was, and now this one looks empty haha! Guess that means I need more coral! :)

Just finished the transfer! I think it went okay. All the fish and livestock are alive! It's amazing how cramped my old tank was, and now this one looks empty haha! Guess that means I need more coral! :)

More coral is good! I'm glad you got everything moved over! I'd monitor it for a few days to make sure you don't get a mini cycle. Pics when it's settled!

More coral is good! I'm glad you got everything moved over! I'd monitor it for a few days to make sure you don't get a mini cycle. Pics when it's settled!

Yeah il be sure to do that!! :)

Aquascape isn't that great right now, I need to work on it! Il post pics when it's ready! :)

Evansimp said:
So here are some pictures of the tank! Did a little changing around of things, and got a hydor koralia nano powerhead today! Boy is the flow 100% different than maxijet!

The Goni (Flowerpot Coral) hasnt quite opened up yet! I cant wait to see it when its fully opened! Also, I actually edited these pictures in photoshop and all. Im surprised I haven't done this yet haha

Looks amazing thus far evan. So proud.

Well, things aren't looking good. My cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp died :( guess my tanks cycling again. Very sad and unfortunate. I shouldn't have switched tanks :/

Oh man! I'm so sorry. :( did you test your parameters today? Shrimp can be pretty sensitive, maybe they got too stressed? How is everything else doing? You're sure they didnt just molt?

Oh man! I'm so sorry. :( did you test your parameters today? Shrimp can be pretty sensitive, maybe they got too stressed? How is everything else doing? You're sure they didnt just molt?

I'm prepping water for a water change now. I'm scared to check the amonia. I'm just gonna do daily water changes for a week and see how it goes. The fish seem okay! Haven't seen the pistol since I put him in. Not sure how he's doing :( such a bummer! I'm really sad right now. I just hope the tank stabilizes soon! I want to start enjoying the hobby again

In emergencies, how long do to have to wait for water to mix. I have a powerhead in there, been mixing for about an hour salinity and temp are matched, could I do another water change now?

I wouldnt because the salt isnt fully mixed, what might look like .025 now could be .020 tomorrow

Even if my ammonia is .50? Im freaking out, I don't want any more casualties?

I guess in your case you'd have to choose the lesser of 2 evils. Potentially deadly ammonia building up or having a salinity swing which could be potentially deadly.

... I feel like I'd do the pwc now. That's just me though. When I used instant ocean reef crystals there was no change in my salinity if I tested 1 hour after mixing or 12 hours after mixing.

Just did another 5 gal. Pwc. Hopefully that helps. Corals look good And fish seem okay. Tank actually looks pretty nice. Minus the death water they're swimming in :(

Back
Top Bottom