Exotic's new 10g high build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol I can't change autocorrect. Tummies will just mean rummy nose tetras now. I love my grandpa but he has a bad habit of just buying me fish even if I don't want them or if they are inappropriate for my tank. I will move the tummies to the 29 gallon soon. I had my hopes up that he would buy me some rams. But it's still the thought that counts right? The syno is doing good. M grandpa also doesn't really want me to acclimate the fish and he wants to see them in the tank immediately. Instead of drip acclimating the dummies for 2 hours I did for about 14 mins. They are okay though.

Most mobile devices will allow you to override autocorrect with custom text. For instance, when I type in co2 it changes it to CO2.
It would be nice if your grandfather would get you gift certificates or cash instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Most mobile devices will allow you to override autocorrect with custom text. For instance, when I type in co2 it changes it to CO2.
It would be nice if your grandfather would get you gift certificates or cash instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah... The tummies are lookin good and are schooling around with bright faces instead of a twitching grey ball of fish. Feeding them in a second.

Update on the betta rescue! My teacher has gone through 3 bettas in the week and a half since school has started... Finally convinced her to get a bigger container, but it's sad that I had to say "The pet stores say that betta enclosures like that are humane so the bettas die and you have to go buy more. They just want your $.". She only thought about the money, not the life of the fish. Unfortunately her idea of "Bigger" is an unfiltered, unheated, .25 gallon plastic tank :(. On the bright side, I had a long conversation with my spanish teacher today because it turns out her husband is a hobbyist and she happens to know the basics of fishkeeping. She said her husband had 14 tanks but their house was so small that the humidity went up and caused mold to grow everywhere, so now he's limited to 2 10s and 2 55s.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

Update on the betta rescue! My teacher has gone through 3 bettas in the week and a half since school has started... Finally convinced her to get a bigger container, but it's sad that I had to say "The pet stores say that betta enclosures like that are humane so the bettas die and you have to go buy more. They just want your $.". She only thought about the money, not the life of the fish. Unfortunately her idea of "Bigger" is an unfiltered, unheated, .25 gallon plastic tank :(. On the bright side, I had a long conversation with my spanish teacher today because it turns out her husband is a hobbyist and she happens to know the basics of fishkeeping. She said her husband had 14 tanks but their house was so small that the humidity went up and caused mold to grow everywhere, so now he's limited to 2 10s and 2 55s.

Lol the struggle is real. At least an improvement, right? Me gusto los pescados señor!
Pics of the tank? I would like to see an FTS!

That's good! If you have a vase or something at home; anything bigger, you could bring that in I guess.

It's sad that sometimes fish don't count with people as living beings. Sounds like you are educating your teacher and maybe with your help she will adopt more humane fish care habits.

And that's awful about the house filling with mold. I'm wondering if a dehumidifier was used anywhere. I know it ends up evaporating tank water if close to the tanks. Just a thought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

These type of people make me mad. They think that petstore employees are experts and are really just cheap skates. If I was you, they wouldn't be able to find him 1 day. Mostly because he would be in my house.

The problem is not entirely the teacher. Granted, research should be done before owning any pet BUT...

Just take a close look at TV today.. Fish are still pictured in bowls, for millions to see. On top of that, stores still sell bowls. Leading to people think oh I just put the fish in a bowl and it works!

I saw a Macy's add a few weeks ago of a designed room set and on the coffee table there was a fish bowl, maybe 2-3 gallons, with easily a 4-5 Ranchu(I'm bad at goldfish species :confused: ).

So it's not entirely the teachers fault, it's the worldwide view of how fish are displayed that gives a common misconception of their care. Then people end up frustrated and mad when the fish dies in a couple weeks.

Caleb

I saw a Macy's add a few weeks ago of a designed room set and on the coffee table there was a fish bowl, maybe 2-3 gallons, with easily a 4-5 Ranchu(I'm bad at goldfish species :confused: ).
*Turns into the hulk and starts smashing stuff*. I hate the world people view fish. Just because they can not speak to us, does not mean that they don't care how they are being treated.
I'm just waiting for the day when fish mutate and can talk. They will breed with other talking fish and then they will learn about the worlds view of fish. After they learn that, they will mutate again and take over the world.:hide: :hide:

The problem is not entirely the teacher. Granted, research should be done before owning any pet BUT...

Just take a close look at TV today.. Fish are still pictured in bowls, for millions to see. On top of that, stores still sell bowls. Leading to people think oh I just put the fish in a bowl and it works!

So it's not entirely the teachers fault, it's the worldwide view of how fish are displayed that gives a common misconception of their care. Then people end up frustrated and mad when the fish dies in a couple weeks.

Caleb

Yes and no. As a teacher she should see the opportunity to listen to, embrace, and learn. She would not like her attitude towards a student to be reversed when she wants someone to listen and learn. The more i think abt it, the more i cant believe she has such a closed mind with the job she chose. Dispicable.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes and no. As a teacher she should see the opportunity to listen to, embrace, and learn. She would not like her attitude towards a student to be reversed when she wants someone to listen and learn. The more i think abt it, the more i cant believe she has such a closed mind with the job she chose. Dispicable.

THANK YOU!!!!! I had 1 teacher last year in particular, who would see you as another person instead of a stupid kid. She would hear you out, she would joke with you, you could joke with her. She is the best teacher I've ever met :).
I have 1 teacher this year who I HATE. She teaches math (my favorite subject) but she is always acting like were dumb. Someone asks for a pencil, she gives a lecture about the importance of ALWAYS coming to class prepared. I read a book when I am done with my work and have nothing else to do. She TRIED to take my book from me, but I set her straight on the first time she tried to take it. I was like "no I will not give you the book, no I will not accept this point slip, no I will not go to the office, no I do not care if you call my mother." She was SO mad when I was did that :). Ever since that little "incident" she has not tried to take my book once. I am generally one of the nicest kids you will ever meet. But if you try to take my book from me, then prepare to regret it.

Atleast you didnt have the famous kansas teacher who " wont teach that bleep bleep bleep evolution here". If anyone remembers that incident. Started a nationwide uproar. Smartest yet worst teacher ive ever met. I had his crazy butt.... Twice. AP & CP biology. Ughhh

If I was a teacher, I would be fired in about 30 min. I can not deal with kids. I don't care if they are my own age, older then me, or younger then me. Most of the kids at my school annoy me, older kids annoy me, younger kids annoy me. The very few kids that don't annoy me are my friends.

THANK YOU!!!!! I had 1 teacher last year in particular, who would see you as another person instead of a stupid kid. She would hear you out, she would joke with you, you could joke with her. She is the best teacher I've ever met :).

@ any teachers on this forum:

This is very true. All of my favorite teachers have treated students like adults. I had one in middle school who would joke around and even make jokes about us and other students and teachers (but it was all in good fun).

Those are the best kinds of teachers.

I had a conversation the other day about Donald Trump's comments with one of my favorite teachers, and last year I stayed 10 minutes late helping a teacher pick out a good new book series for her son.

If teachers treated students a bit more like the slightly younger adults that they are, instead of, essentially, wild animals (this may be an exaggeration but considering we are often DENIED access to a bathroom I honestly think it's pretty applicable) then maybe they will act like young adults in return.

End of rant. :)

My mom is a teacher :). I have grown up with about half a dozen other kids who's moms also work at the school where my mom works. Because our moms work at Pine Ridge Elementary( can I say the name of the school?) we can catch the bus from there. We go to Pine Ridge in the morning to catch the bus, then go to middle school.

How did we start with a 12 y/o girl getting a 10 gallon, and end up discussing teachers? Like for real, could someone tell me what post started the teacher subject?

How did we start with a 12 y/o girl getting a 10 gallon, and end up discussing teachers? Like for real, could someone tell me what post started the teacher subject?

13 year old boy*. Poppa made that mistake too :).

Back
Top Bottom