Filter media changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYgiantsRP

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 65 gallon tank with a HOB aquaclear with a sponge, carbon, and bio media. I also have a fluval U4 on the bottom of my tank for a current and extra filtration, it also has sponge carbon and bio media.

I have been trying to get info on when to change them and what not. Will leaving them to long build up nitrates and other harmfull stuff? How often does everyone change there media, and also is carbon needed?

NYgiantsRP said:
I have a 65 gallon tank with a HOB aquaclear with a sponge, carbon, and bio media. I also have a fluval U4 on the bottom of my tank for a current and extra filtration, it also has sponge carbon and bio media.

I have been trying to get info on when to change them and what not. Will leaving them to long build up nitrates and other harmfull stuff? How often does everyone change there media, and also is carbon needed?

IMO you don't need carbon (except to remove meds and what not). Generally you don't replace filter media. Unless it's literally falling apart. Even then, you shove the new media in beside the old for 2-4 weeks to seed the new. Just rinse it out in a bucket of tank water during a PWC.

Any filter should be cleaned every single month. If you use carbon it should be replaced at the monthly cleaning. All the media should be cleaned and replaced as needed. Biomedia should never need to be replaced. AC foam can last a very long time, others need to be replaced regularly.

I will agree with Fishguy (mostly). A filter should probably not go more than a month without cleaning. It may need to be cleaned more often. The nice thing about an AC filter (which it sound like you have), is that you can clean the inserts without even turning the filter off during water changes, so, you could clean the inserts weekly. All ACs other than the 110 can hold 2 sponge inserts, plus the bio rings, replacing the unnecessary carbon.

Good morning NY...

I can only tell you what I've been doing with my large tanks. I change a minimum of half the water in my tanks weekly, so I don't use a lot of filtration. I don't need expensive filters just filtering tank water that's already clean.

Large and frequent water changes will do much more than carbon to maintain water quality, so I don't use it.

I use pads for the mechanical and biofiltration. The dense padding keeps the tank water crystal clear and is heavy enough to reuse by just rinsing it in old tank water. I use multiple pads and change one every couple of weeks. I don't need to change that often, but I do.

The key to a healthy tank is the water change. By flushing large quantities of clean, treated water through your tank, you guarantee the fish and plants have a clean, stable environment all the time. By following my water change routine religiously, I no longer need to test the water in my tanks, because there isn't time for toxins to build up before the next large water change.

As always, this is just one waterkeeper's opinion.

B

One thought might be to alternate your two filters' cleanings so you don't affect your good bacteria colony too adversely when you do maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom