First fish finally but new question as well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryn_C_mu

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have had my FOWLR tank up and running now for about 3and a half weeks in the second week I added 2 turbo snails a scarlet legged hermit crab and a blue legged hermit crab I acclimated all of them and they are doing amazing! Did a water test today my ph is a little low like between 8.0 and 8.1 my ammonia is a little over 0 but not much and 0 for nitrite and nitrates salinity is great as is temperature but my question is what is a generic price for special ordering fish? Like 5 bucks or so? Thanks

Just my .02 cents: make sure those turbos have something to chow in there, snails need food and your tank is too new for them IMO. I lost 3 trochus snails because I thought I needed them for a clean up crew, no algae though! The hermit crabs I got are fine though

Oh u have no idea those snails eat everything no worries though I've bought all my live rock with tons of algae and algae pellets for them so I know what I was getting into when I bought them but overall they are thriving

If you have any ammonia in the tank at all I wouldn't add a fish. That just means your tank isn't cycled and you are just asking for problems down the line.

Ok well still with or without fish being added what is a basic coat for special orders

It's impossible to give a basic cost. For me at my LFS, it's whatever deal the owner can get. Having my LFS buy a fish for me generally involves nothing other than me going in and asking for said fish. For you it will probably be different.

Ok haha the only reason my ammonia levels were a tad high was that I fed the crabs and snails some supplement food and I fell out of the bag quickly so a flight over feeding is what was happening there and I have cleaned the excess food out so I will test it tomorrow and will more than likely have better results

If a slight overfeeding of inverts is enough to overload your bacterial load then what will adding a fish with even more food and waste requirements do to the tank? You basically have cured uncycled live rock in your tank.

No no u don't understand like nearly the entire bag fell in the water it also could be that those turbo snails have a big bio load they always seem to be taking a number 2 every time I look at them

No no u don't understand like nearly the entire bag fell in the water it also could be that those turbo snails have a big bio load they always seem to be taking a number 2 every time I look at them

:blink: I doubt the inverts were THAT hungry :)

They weren't it was my fault but I guarantee u that's what it was

CUC do not add substantial waste to our systems. Their bioload is negligable as far as our hobby grade test kits can detect.

What is the ammonia reading now?

Uh fish will be a citrus goby, mocha clown, maroon clown, scooter blenny, according to my LFS one engineer goby, oh and way later on a fire shrimp, cleaner shrimp, Sally light foot, red burrowing crab, and lastly a by color angel... As far as ammonia I will test it tonight and get back to you

The mocha will get destroyed by the maroon. One or the other. Also, don't add the scooter unless it eats frozen food or it will likely starve

The ones there at the store eat both frozen and algae so I'm not worried about that but if I get 2 mochas and one maroon wouldn't that work

Not in a tank that size. The maroon will either kill both the mochas or vice versa

What other clown would work with the mochas or maroons

Back
Top Bottom