First tank-current

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidkm7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I'm very new to this whole fish thing, but I've done quite a bit of reading. I have a ten gallon tank and "detoxified it", but when I added two neon tetras last night, I noted that there seemed to be a current. They stayed in one corner of the cage, but eventually swam around to the rest of the tank. This morning I woke up to turn the light on and feed them for the first time and found one dead, wedged in the bottom of the filter. The other one seems to dying as well. Could the current be too strong for this particular species of fish? I bought a Tetra Aqua Care 10 gallon starter kit with a Whisper filter (suction cup model). Thanks for the help.

Welcome to AA! Happy to help.
Would advise not getting any more fish until a few things have been sorted out. Have you read anything on cycling your tank? Do you have a liquid test kit? What temp is the tank and how did you 'detoxify' it?
If you re willing to take it slow and tweak a few things, you ll be on the road to being a successful aquarist, we all started right where you are, for me it was a year ago. Best of luck :)

Oh & not sure about the current, there are many things you can do tho to modify that. But, let's focus on water quality for now.
But, for instance, you can put a foam under your outflow, or make a diffuser from a hose ( the clear type used for hot tubs , purchased by the foot at a Lowes or Home Depot type store). I can send you a pic of how I set mine up later if you re interested.

I put in the dechlorinator. I wanted to do a fishless cycle, but the Petsmart guy persuaded me to use Tetra Safestart with a few small fish to start the cycle. Perhaps this is the problem? I've heard about using airstones under the filter to help (since I did buy an air pump). Assuming the second fish will die, I will definitely finish the cycle without fish. :(

You can do a fish in cycle, just means a lot of testing & water changes. So, your 1st priority here is to get a test kit & I would do a 50% water change now.
What material do you have in the filter?and what s your tank water temp now?

Also, while there are some knowledgable people at chain stores, most of the time you re waaaaay better off to get info here or find a good privately owned fish store.

The other fish died, too. I just used the foam pad that the filter came with, and I have a spare pad to change the other one out when it needs it. The aquarium has a few fake plants and a castle in the middle. I put in 5ml of Tetra dechlorinator on Monday and yesterday put in a small bottle of tetra Safestart a bit before adding the fish (per the instructions of the Tetra bottle). Where would you recommend getting a test kit from since they seem quite pricey? (i'd like to get a kit that has test strips for ph, ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites)

Problem here is 1 neons are not good for a brand new tank and 2 they need groups of 5 or more looks sounds like they died of stress. Fish in cycling is not bad at all and not as difficult as people make it seem. Some will demonize you for it but that is because they have no clue what they are talking about.

Step 1 Make a stock list (what fish you want in your tank)
Step 2 Post it here and let people critique it. You will get mixed opions use your judgement
Step 3 start with 2 or 3 fish and add fish every 2 weeks and no sooner than 2 weeks until you complete your stock.

Now I stated no more than 2 to 3 fish to start but neons need groups of 5-6 that just means dont start with small schooling fish like tetras, barbs are ok but not tetras.

Best fish for a 10 gallon for someone who is new you are looking at, Mollies, platties, sword tails, guppies, barbs, danios, tetras, corries, betta, some loaches like Kuhli.

Ps you don't need a test kit people make it so much harder than it needs to be 10 years ago there were no test kits for Fresh Water tanks. (Been keeping tanks for nearly 30 years) They are essential for Salt Water that is a whole other story. you want to do 10-20% water change 1 time a week and you will be fine. there is no need for testing. Change your filter media every 6 -8 weeks and you are good to go.

The original plan was to get a galactic purple tetra and a green one (each get up to 3 in) and have a few neon tetra. We wanted to start with the smaller fish. Any recommendations on what fish are good for starting a tank? I'm trying to adhere to the 1 in/1 gal rule, which I know isn't necessarily accurate, but I am planning on doing frequent water changes to keep up with the volume. Thanks for the help.

David, 10 gal isn t very big & just know that smaller tanks are more difficult to maintain good water quality. But of course it s done all the time.
Please, do a lot of research on whatever fish you get, Mollies & Platys have large bioloads which means more water changes. Swordtails get big & if I remember right from my own research, can be bullies. The fact that test kits are now available is called progress. Ultimately your decision, but it s nice to know your levels so that you can be
proactive & not harm your fish.

Oh and most people don t replace filter media until it falls apart, that s where most of the good bacteria live. To clean it monthly tho, rinse in tank water & ideally when you do replace it you also have other filter material & Bioballs ( I like the ceramic) so that you don t start a mini cycle.

Most people order the API test kit on line cuz the price is better that way. And it tests for ph, ammonia, nitrites & nitrates.

David, listen to Mebbid and Rodeo. They are experienced aquarists and have given many very good advice in here. You have some excellent advisors in them. OS.

Yep, neon tetras are often very sickly, I don't really know why but I think it's because of bad breeding. Anyways, often you'll just get one that are just doomed from the start. They really aren't good fish to cycle with. In a ten gallon your best bet would be a fishless cycle TBH.

Oh and most people don t replace filter media until it falls apart, that s where most of the good bacteria live. To clean it monthly tho, rinse in tank water & ideally when you do replace it you also have other filter material & Bioballs ( I like the ceramic) so that you don t start a mini cycle.

I should have been more clear. I was assuming (wrong of me) he was using media with active carbon in it since that is the most common for these 10 gallon starter kits. Those can be cleaned but should be changed every so often so it has new carbon.

The filter with Bioballs isnt so common with these 10 gallon set ups.

I don't see it FW test kits as progress it is unnecessary and it is just another way for a company to make money. Stay on top of water changes and you are good to go. I test my tank 2-4 times a year and it is always spot on. I see to many posts help my xxx is off by the tiniest amount and everyone is like Oh my your fish are going to die 50% water change and call 911.

regular consistent water changes are all you need. All my fish are healthy and strong. Check out the market place on this site and you can see pics of my Fire mouths who have been breeding like rabbits.

To get back on topic. David if would like assistance with fish recommendations then I will be happy to assist. You said you liked the glow light tetras or galaxy tetras those all have different man made names that changes depending on store and location so I am not sure exactly which ones you are referring to. Not a big fan myself. You may want to start with hardier fish I know they made those glow light fish from black skirt tetras, zebra danios, and tiger barbs. Those, if they are anything like there natural counterparts, are durable great fish to start with.

David, you deffinitely cant listen to 90% of petsmart workers, always do internet research, much more info from much more informed people. The current did not hurt the fish, the water quality did. Having a test kit is very useful when starting a tank, and when you are getting close to being fully or over overstocked. It tells you when toxins are getting to a point where they can kill your fish. When doing a fish in cylce it is good to do daily 25% water changes because toxins can build up quickly. Once your filter and tank has established benifical bacterias then you dont need to worry about testing until you start to really fill up the tank, this way you know when you need to do water changes and how much of the water you shoud change. Somtimes 25% isnt enough and 50% is better. So in time you will figure this stuff all out. As for now, you could get a platty or two in the tank and do 25% water changes everyday until you get a test kit, then look up "cycling" and you will be fine.

David do your self a favor research the fish you want to keep and stay on top of water changes. Do lots of reading and don't believe something just cause it gets repeated here. Good Luck

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom