Getting a Betta! Need Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How can I do that? I have some water conditioner. Will that help? My parents wont let me get some expensive test thing or kit. I can only get a betta.

i wouldn't get a betta until you can cycle your tank....

No I was saying tetras if she got a 10 gallon and I kept my bettas with cichlids in a community with livebearers and even goldfish all are still alive 3 years later

ChiBiRedPanda -

Just my two cents. Bettas are happier in larger tanks. We had ours in our 20 gal community tank for a while and he LOVED it. We had to remove him due to conflicts with other fish...

We were short on cash at the time and bought this from Petsmart:
Marina® Goldfish Aquarium Kit - Fish - Sale Category - PetSmart

Its 2.5 gallons. That is a little small for what they like best, but it has worked well for our Doyle. The first day in it he built a HUGE bubble nest. He builds me a smaller one about once a week since. I'll put a picture our ours at the bottom. It comes with a filter, but no light or heater. We bought a heater, and just have a clip on desk lamp for light. We added real plants later (about $10 worth from petsmart) and he loves those as well. He spends half his day swimming along brushing his tail and body on the plants like a cat does to your leg.

Just another option for ya. Enjoy.

bettas do best in 5+ gallons w/ lo-flow filter and heater

Thanks Johny! My tank is 3.83, so I think I will stick with it for a while and then upgrade. Although that tank is nice, mine is bigger. But thanks for the help! Your betta is really pretty, btw!

But although my tank doesnt have any fancy things, I will buy some for my betta. Is that Nutrafin Cycler stuff any good?

Well, to have full knowledge of whether the tank is cycled or not, you need a water test kit. I got the api freshwater master kit (its a little expensive but it lasts for a VERY long time.) It cost around thirty dollars. If you don't want to buy a test kit you can always take some of the water from the fish tank to petsmart. Simply putting it in a jar will do, but if your parents do not want you getting dishes like that all dirty, then you could scoop some water out into a small zip-lock bag. If you take you water to petsmart and ask them the test the water for you, they will.

ChibiRedPanda said:
But although my tank doesnt have any fancy things, I will buy some for my betta. Is that Nutrafin Cycler stuff any good?

No it is not. (My opinion.) When a tank is cycled, the biological filter (bacteria) have colonized enough to convert all the ammonia (ammonia is toxic for fish. It can build up by adding food, and fish release ammonia.) Into nitrite. Nitrite is also toxic. Then, the nitrite is converted into nitrate, which is not very toxic. Ammonia puts stress on fish. The cycler liquid will remove ammonia, nitrite, and chlorine. Chlorine is harmful to fish, and is added to most water that comes from the faucet. The problem is, when fish are in the tank, there will be no toxic chemicals for a short time... but they will start releasing ammonia, and the food will add to that. So ammonia will build up. But there is no bacteria colonize yet, so there is no other way to get rid of ammonia accept constantly adding chemicals (not good for fish) and constantly doing water changes.

Okay, here's a link to cycling:
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

If you still don't get it, here it is in simpler terms.

Basically, fish produce waste, which due to water is eventually diluted into ammonia. The ammonia just stays there and will kill your fish if it's not cycled. To cycle your tank, first, get a bottle of ammonia-most reccomend Ace Hardware's Brand-and then add it to your tank WITHOUT the fish in it. Turn the tank temperature up. This is where the API Freshwater Test Kit comes into play. Monitor the ammonia levels with this kit every day and do a partial water change every day. When the ammonia hits 0, this means you have grown beneficial bacteria, which can eat up ammonia when your fish are introduced.
However, this bacteria makes ammonia into nitrites, which is still toxic. Test for nitrites while doing PWC until nitrites has gone to 0. This will mean that another beneficial bacteria has formed. However while it eats up nitrItes, it will turn the nitrItes into nitrAtes. To get rid of nitrAtes, you must do a partial water change, as there is no other bacteria that will get rid of them.
When that is all done, redose with ammonia again. Keep doing this until you can go from .5-1 ppm ammo to 0 ammo in one day. This whole process takes about a month.

I'm not sure if I covered everything and explained well, but this is what you do to cycle a tank.

Perhaps the best way to get financial assistance from your parents is to let them know you want to treat your aquatic pet with the respect he deserves as a living creature. Of course, you could also offer to earn the cash by doing odd jobs.

It's not after all, "just a fish". He or she is going to be your buddy, they are going to make you giggle and worry. Take the time to earn the cash to do your best for your aquatic pet, rather than rush out and "just get a fish."

Thanks Mac. Thats very helpful. I have 20$ or so right now. And I have had a betta before so I have most supplies. I just need like 2 more things or so. Im pretty sure my parents would help if I persuade them that is not "just a fish"

Perhaps the best way to get financial assistance from your parents is to let them know you want to treat your aquatic pet with the respect he deserves as a living creature.
It's not after all, "just a fish". He or she is going to be your buddy, they are going to make you giggle and worry. Take the time to earn the cash to do your best for your aquatic pet, rather than rush out and "just get a fish."

That has to be one of the best statements I've read on here so far! I love it:flowers:

If you want a well priced 5g tank, go to Walmart.com. There is a five gallon aquarium kit for sale for only 26.00(Hawkeye brand). I have one for my Betta, and it has held up nicely. Also, sometimes you can find warehouse deals for tanks on amazon.com. If you want more than one fish, purchase at least a ten gallon tank. you can find them at most pet stores for a good price. make sure to get some kind of lid though, as Betta fish are jumpers! Good luck!

Darn skippy. My beta started my mts. Got him at walmart and expected him to die (he was in filthy water and listless. I just wanted to give him a beter place to live out what few days wally world had left him. Did everything wrong, tiny bowl, no cycle... Now eight months later he's the prettiest fish I own and a crown tail no less

Back
Top Bottom