Getting a betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyboi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can a betta live in a 20 gallon planted aquarium with 2 apple snail, 3 female Swordtail, 5 albino Cory and 6 red eye tetras?

It depends on the personality of the betta as aggression levels can vary. Our betta lives happily in a 15 gallon community tank with no problems.

A good way to test aggression is to see how they react to neighbouring bettas in the LFS or test their reaction to their own reflection.

Having said this, there's never a guarantee of a docile betta, so make sure that you have a back up option ready!

Hmmmm...even if I get a calm betta, will my red eye tetras be a threat for him?

Tetras can be nippy. I don't have experience with red eyes but my betta is in with cardinals, five banded barbs, ottos, two mollies and a guppy.

There was an initial 'settling in' period where the tetra did nip his fins but they lost interest after a few days. That was 3 months ago and I've had no problems since.

Make sure the betta goes in last so that it's not "his" territory he needs to defend and have a back up aquarium just in case. I have 5 bettas and 4 of them have tank Mates of snails neon tetras guppies glass catfish the one that can't just has a 5gal because he will kill anything in sight.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom