Hopeful Zero Cycle Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MABJ said:
While yall are thinking,

I believe I've seen Java Moss growth overnight... The clumps are forming together and intertwining... I must be doing something right? :D

I have 9 rock clumps on either side of the tank, and I have tied the moss to the rock, which will create the carpet over time. I just didn't think it'd start that quick!

Overnight, I had no die off from the 3-day-shipping, but I will say I haven't quite seen the Marimos move.. Should they be moving and active yet?

Usually marimos don't move unless they are in a tank with a ton of flow. I have noticed that they don't start floating and sinking during cellular respiration until they are a bit larger.

Thanks so much, Max.

I'll be eagerly awaiting the floating and sinking stage. I think it is quite cool.

A little update to the removing the cycle progression..

I think these two plants might completely finish it off! Salvinia and Brazillian Pennywort. They should also grow quickly enough, coupled with the mosses and Marimos, should remove all waste. Do some water changes, and heck I don't know if I even need a filter anymore! :p. I'd obviously never take it away, as it serves too many purposes.

I am following! Interesting idea. I would like to do this with my 5 gallon. As I sugested on another thread pothos vine is greedy stuff!

Yay!

I'd be quite interested in the vine. I'm not sure where to get it... It seems not to care wether it is in the earth or water.

I also read it is poisonous?

What do you keep it attached to?

If you sell cuttings, let me know!

Yay!

I'd be quite interested in the vine. I'm not sure where to get it... It seems not to care wether it is in the earth or water.

I also read it is poisonous?

What do you keep it attached to?

If you sell cuttings, let me know!
It is awesome! It is poisonous to animals and people if injested. I just keep the roots floating in the water.

Lol what i do is just plant it in my HOB filter never knew it was poisonous o_O

Oh interesting idea :eek:

Hmm. What if my shrimp eat it? :O

If you planted it in your HOB filter how would the shrimp get to it o_O Also i seen on another forum people putting java moss on their spillway, and heavily planting their HOB filters! To the point where they remove all filter media and replace it with plants.

It'd be a quick way to grow Marimo moss! LOL.

I just mean in general, if they do eat it.

It is harmless to fish and inverts :)
Sake I would like to know more about that idea.

I'm not sure the rules for this forum on posting links to other forums so is it okay if i just PM the link to you. That way you can read up about it?

You may post it here. I've seen links to the planted tank forum here before! I'm interested, too.

I'll be watching that. Very interesting. This is a good thread to have this link in, too, because we are trying to create a little harmonious environment :)

Which shrimp? The ones Sake has?

Noo otherwise I'd blow this thread up with pictures.

I'm waiting for either you or jetahockey to have about 8-15 spares to sell me.

Maybe some from both to keep the strains healthy. I'm not sure yet.

All I know is I can't hurt anything by taking things slow :D

Side note -- One of the moss balls has developed... Idk how to explain it other than a mini moss ball coming off the side of it! SO COOL.

Should I separate it and let it grow?

:D Yay plants.

The java moss is growing at an exponential rate, and I think I'll be adding a little to my filter soon to see how it grows at very little light, lots of flow.

MABJ said:
Noo otherwise I'd blow this thread up with pictures.

I'm waiting for either you or jetahockey to have about 8-15 spares to sell me.

Maybe some from both to keep the strains healthy. I'm not sure yet.

All I know is I can't hurt anything by taking things slow :D

Side note -- One of the moss balls has developed... Idk how to explain it other than a mini moss ball coming off the side of it! SO COOL.

Should I separate it and let it grow?

:D Yay plants.

The java moss is growing at an exponential rate, and I think I'll be adding a little to my filter soon to see how it grows at very little light, lots of flow.

I wouldn't seperate the moss ball, because it might start to carpet the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom