Hopeful Zero Cycle Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeta, she has microcrabs.

SHE HAS MICROCRABS. Lol I'm too excited to contain myself. I'll be contacting her.. oh.. tonight!!

Okay! A new predicament arose just now. I may have fallen in love with the Exclimation point or Boraras urophthalmoides. I'm a writer :p.

Do you guys think they would bother shrimplets any more than the chilis?

Check out that link! There are some cool pictures in that little thread!

MABJ said:
Okay! A new predicament arose just now. I may have fallen in love with the Exclimation point or Boraras urophthalmoides. I'm a writer :p.

Do you guys think they would bother shrimplets any more than the chilis?
They would not eat adult shrimp but babies would be eaten unless you provide lots of hiding spots. The java moss carpet will serve as an awesome hiding place for the shrimp, so you should be fine.

Don't worry about it, Austin!

Max, great. I overall decided on the chilis. Better safe than sorry.

I have an updated stocklist.. Please be honest with how this would work. I do intend on planting more plants before this stock comes.

12 Red Cherry Shrimp,
6 Chilis,
2-4 Micro Crabs (Please advise a number here)
1-2 Horned Nerite snails. (Please advise a number here)

To me it seems like a lot, but they ARE micro animals.. Lol. Ah well, time can tell.

An alternative to the Micro crabs could be CPOs, after we comment on the original stock list, sub crabs for a pair CPOs and let me know what you think.

MABJ said:
Don't worry about it, Austin!

Max, great. I overall decided on the chilis. Better safe than sorry.

I have an updated stocklist.. Please be honest with how this would work. I do intend on planting more plants before this stock comes.

12 Red Cherry Shrimp,
6 Chilis,
2-4 Micro Crabs (Please advise a number here)
1-2 Horned Nerite snails. (Please advise a number here)

To me it seems like a lot, but they ARE micro animals.. Lol. Ah well, time can tell.

An alternative to the Micro crabs could be CPOs, after we comment on the original stock list, sub crabs for a pair CPOs and let me know what you think.

It seems pretty good IMO just make sure not to accumulate too many RCS, because you have the Chili's bioload too. But it's not like they have a huge bioload anyways lol I would say 3 microcrabs. 2 would be better, but you could still pull off 3. As for the snails, I would say 2 is a good number. Would you supplement them? Oh, and I would really advise against another school in there, in my experience they need higher number schools to be comfortable and this would not be a good idea with the bio load of chili's and the RCS.

Austin, sounds like I'm pushing it in your opinion.

I know some people would keep 50 in this tank, but we know I'm being minimalistic.

What other school are you talking about?

I'll go with 2 crabs, then. Yes, I'd throw algae wafers in probably 1 days worth of a wafer every 5 days.

MABJ said:
Austin, sounds like I'm pushing it in your opinion.

I know some people would keep 50 in this tank, but we know I'm being minimalistic.

What other school are you talking about?

I'll go with 2 crabs, then. Yes, I'd throw algae wafers in probably 1 days worth of a wafer every 5 days.

I mean your fine, there's nothing wrong with your original stocking plan,I'm just tweaking it a little with my opinion:) I was talking about chili's and the CPD's

:facepalm:Doh

I meant CPOs.. Crayfish. My bad. I'll edit the post.

Two crayfish instead of two microcrabs.

Oh wait.. you read it wrong. It was already CPO xD easy to mistake, I guess!

MABJ said:
:facepalm:Doh

I meant CPOs.. Crayfish. My bad. I'll edit the post.

Two crayfish instead of two microcrabs.

Oh wait.. you read it wrong. It was already CPO xD easy to mistake, I guess!

Wow......I'm so sorry, I thought it said CPD'S. My mistake, wow I'm a mess tonight hahaha but to be honest I wouldn't have them in anything less than a 10, but I think you should be ok with one if you subtract the micro crabs. Hmm how about one micro crab and a CPO? I believe I read somewhere that they can be territorial if enough space is not provided, so 2 sounds like it could be trouble.

Hmm possible. But isn't the aggression just male v male?

The 2 I would have would just be M and F

MABJ said:
Hmm possible. But isn't the aggression just male v male?

The 2 I would have would just be M and F

That's true, but I think they would still have territory issues. I think they would have to be a mated pair to live together peacefully. But I'm not too sure on that! Lol would you buy them a mated pair already? Is it hard to get them to become a pair if you buy them separately?

Man I'm not sure. Aquabid sells 'pairs'

But I don't have much faith in them lol.

Don't get me wrong I love the crabs, I'm just sad they wont live long.

Guys guys guys! Lol I'm like a kid in a candy store right now...

I just spoke with Rachel from Invertebrates by msjinkzd, and she gave me a quote for my ENTIRE stock list lol.

12 Red Cherry Shrimp $18 (generally adult sized)
6 Boras Brigatte $14.50
2 Micro Crabs $7
1 Horned Nerite? $2.50

And express shipping would be $16 because I'm nearby!! (Priority would be $11 anyway)

So the total would be about $58 for all of my livestock in one fell swoop!
What do you guys say?

Should I just suck it up and do it next week?

Are there any discussions we should have about that stock list? Any numbers I need to add or subtract from; any life that doesn't belong? Should I get one more snail? I don't have enough algae for two nerites, but I guess sometimes snails like buddies? lol.

Let me know what you all think!

Sounds like you're set! That is a great stock list I think, and once you get your tank more established you can always get another nerite.

Yay for well planned stock lists.

Should I add more plants before my critters?

I've got some I'll be purchasing from maxwell as soon as he is finished, but I don't want to rush things.

Guys guys guys! Lol I'm like a kid in a candy store right now...

I just spoke with Rachel from Invertebrates by msjinkzd, and she gave me a quote for my ENTIRE stock list lol.

12 Red Cherry Shrimp $18 (generally adult sized)
6 Boras Brigatte $14.50
2 Micro Crabs $7
1 Horned Nerite? $2.50

And express shipping would be $16 because I'm nearby!! (Priority would be $11 anyway)

So the total would be about $58 for all of my livestock in one fell swoop!
What do you guys say?

Should I just suck it up and do it next week?

Are there any discussions we should have about that stock list? Any numbers I need to add or subtract from; any life that doesn't belong? Should I get one more snail? I don't have enough algae for two nerites, but I guess sometimes snails like buddies? lol.

That sounds like a good stock list, and getting it all in one spot (and nearby) is awesome. Nerites are not going to starve to death if you don't have enough visible algae, they eat biofilm as well. I have 6-10 nerites in different tanks without any visible algae and they have always been fine without supplementation. So I wouldn't hesitate to get him a partner.

Jeta, good advice! I'll definitely get two, then.

I like the idea of having two, I just didn't want them to escape the tank in search of death.

How does the overall price tag look?

Seems decent to me. It averages out to $2.7 per organism including shipping.

Back
Top Bottom