How many Assassins before Nerite snails are in danger?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RightTurnClyde

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank is getting overrun with MTS and even with manually removing a few almost every day, they are everywhere. I also have Nerites that I love. I have a single assassin in the tank, but there's no way he can keep up with my MTS. How many Assassins can I add before there is a risk of them ganging up on a Nerite and eating him? Or is that not too much of a danger since they can close up pretty tight?

And yes, I know I need to cut back on my feedings so the MTS slow down. I'm already putting that into action.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wish someone answered this. I am getting a few Assassins today for the same reason (excessive pond snails) but I am worried about the Nerites.

~ Sent with an unladen European swallow

I wish someone answered this. I am getting a few Assassins today for the same reason (excessive pond snails) but I am worried about the Nerites.

Could you put the nerites in a floating breeder net while the assassins do their job?

For browsing other threads about assassin snails, I get the impression that they will leave my Nerite snails alone. Only if they are truly starving, would it become an issue.

I guess I'll go with just two of them today, and see how that works.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I think two are probably safe. The one assassin I have is still small compared to the nerites that seem to only get bigger and bigger. I've been thinking about adding one more as well. My MTS are a little more under control now, but I still have more than I'd like.

I have yet to have an issue with ANYTHING going after my mystery and nerites.
One of mine is even a smaller horned nerite and is never touched. If you have enough pest snails youll be okay.

Back
Top Bottom