Hybrids/Crossbreeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My oppinion would be to experiment with the thought of having to destroy,untill you understand the dominance of a given gene pool breeding is allways a crap shoot,even within a said species,best bet is to read and read and read before you attempt any breeding,as a truck driver once said "look twice,back up once"

Fiurthermore any wild caught or f1 stock will prob be heavely inbred,as schools are formed from spawn,and pairs are formed from schools or groups,that means the dominance of a pure bred fish up to even f3 3rd gen man bred,will likely produce what they are,perhaps try crossing related/cousin fish to each other,as they will carry much of the same gene pool,and the dominant and recessive dominant halves will pair up to at least produce similar structure

Last edited by a moderator:
No actually there are 5 main dog species,and just like fish there gene pool consists of dominant and recessive genes.
And just like any living being we have polygenetic transferable traits ie:height,width,length etc,that is why when a doberman is bred to a rottweiler for example we get an overshot bite,fish come from gene pools and will be exactly the same in dominant and recessive gene type,and polygenetics will also apply,crossbreeding fish of very different structure would be very careless,much like breeding a shitzu to a saint bernard,so its actually very similar from a genetic standpoint

Please explain further... I'm not talking about dingoes and wolves here. I'm talking about the domesticated dog being classified as one species. If you have any evidence of 5 main dog species as this refers to domesticated dogs, I'd love to see it, as every bit of research I've done tells me otherwise.

Thus... completely different phenomenon than cichlid hybridization.

Last edited:
Were talking about dominant and resessive gene types and polygenetic transferable traits,fish,dogs,cats,horses it dosent really matter,and realistacally is the fox or the wolf man made? No but todays man made breeds derive from them,so sounds like 2 diff species in description to me,can you not see this?

I think you are too focused on the origianal dog coment,read all the post's,this conversation is about a game of genetics,all life forms are decided by there gene pool,the word hybrid by definition os simply the mixing of 2 types

Were talking about dominant and resessive gene types and polygenetic transferable traits,fish,dogs,cats,horses it dosent really matter,and realistacally is the fox or the wolf man made? No but todays man made breeds derive from them,so sounds like 2 diff species in description to me,can you not see this?

Apparently you are... but it seems that the topic of this thread is hybridization.

Title of thread is "cross breeding", and once again, the first post.
If they're for your own personal display tank and not EVER going to be given/sold to anybody or released into the wild. I'm curious as to why or why not? benefits, ill effects? I'm not looking for your personal opinion on the subject. I'm looking for why it would be bad for the fish.

Again, my comment was in regards to the comparison between mixing different BREEDS of domesticated dogs, and mixing different SPECIES of cichlids. BREEDS and SPECIES are completely different distinctions.

By definition a hybrid is the mixing of two
Plain and simple,my posts answered his questions,your post are an argument about
Dogs and fish,if you dont understand the concept behind the conversation why even post?

By definition a hybrid is the mixing of two
Plain and simple,my posts answered his questions,your post are an argument about
Dogs and fish,if you dont understand the concept behind the conversation why even post?

No. I quoted a post on the comparison and explained how it was a non-comparison... yet you continue to argue with me. That's fine, you're entitled. I'm bowing out.

I understand the concept just fine. You've still failed to address any of the points I have made, but have instead presented an argument that makes no sense within the context of the thread. That's cool though, I'm out.

1eocene
2 mesocyon
3 oligocene
4 leptocyon
5 tomanctus

And again it is a great comparison,if 2 totally dif gene pools merge the outcome can be a nightmare

Mega- your argument really doesn't make sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canidae

The "species" you refer to aren't current species and do not in anyway relate to the hybridization of fish.

Please do not apply your dog breeding knowledge to fish. There are many fish on the planet whos genetic identities need to be preserved and this can be as specific as locality of collection.

If that is your understanding of genetics, enjoy your human-gorilla "hybrids". They are apparently a very real possibility.

Are you for real? This entire conversation started with a question of whether the 2 types of crossbreading are simular.the answer is a simple yes.what makes fish breeding so different??????????????

How on earth do you think types or speceis are begun? Surely with a shrinking gene pool,only domanance can define type

Fiurthermore any wild caught or f1 stock will prob be heavely inbred,as schools are formed from spawn,and pairs are formed from schools or groups,that means the dominance of a pure bred fish up to even f3 3rd gen man bred,will likely produce what they are,perhaps try crossing related/cousin fish to each other,as they will carry much of the same gene pool,and the dominant and recessive dominant halves will pair up to at least produce similar structure

1eocene
2 mesocyon
3 oligocene
4 leptocyon
5 tomanctus

I'd like to see validated research to back up you opinion here in the first post, as I think you are significantly off-base in your hypothesis. Fish of the same species in nature are about as genetically similar in DNA as humans are. Exceptions to this are of course are those fish which have been kept in captivity and consistently inbreed by humans. If your assumptions about inbreeding from the same spawn/offspring were true, every non domesticated animal on the planet would be as inbred as some domestic dog breeds.

Further, I see absolutely no relevance in listing 5 genetic species of dogs which have long since gone extinct. If you have done as much research as you claim, you would be aware that there is in fact only one currently living species of domestic dogs, with two subspecies and numerous breeds.

Cross-breeding of two separate species of fish is more akin to cross horses and donkeys or lions and tigers, or zebras and horses, than it is to crossing dogs of the same species. And as was pointed out earlier in the merged thread is most likely to result in loss of the brilliant colors and sterilization of the offspring.

How on earth do you think types or speceis are begun? Surely with a shrinking gene pool,only domanance can define type

Right there you show how far off your understanding of genetics is. If in fact dominance is what defines types, all humans would have six fingers and six toes and polydactylism is the dominant human trait rather than the much more common five fingers and five toes. Perhaps rather than bashing people for posting what they know, you should have an open mind as well.

Back
Top Bottom