Hybrids/Crossbreeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@Johny, I agree about it being a grey area. Thats the main reason I wanted to start this thread in the first place. The issue if highly multi-dimensional.

I do indeed agree that hybridization in and of itself it not inherenlty wrong.

cross breeding

If they're for your own personal display tank and not EVER going to be given/sold to anybody or released into the wild. I'm curious as to why or why not? benefits, ill effects? I'm not looking for your personal opinion on the subject. I'm looking for why it would be bad for the fish.
:thanks:

Good question! Is it like dogs where you want to keep pure breeds for show and for selling but nothing wrong with having some mutts? Or is that bad for the fish.

I'll be interested to hear what you all think.

Good question! Is it like dogs where you want to keep pure breeds for show and for selling but nothing wrong with having some mutts? Or is that bad for the fish.

that's my understanding at the moment too lol.

New breeds could be breed that way. Like dogs, you know? Breed A with B to get the desired color of A on top of B's pattern with A's body shape and B's personality traits.

It could be bad in terms of behavior. With purebred fish at least you have an idea what your fish should behave like. When you get mixing of breeds you mix attitudes. If it your tank and you dont want to sell fry, its your call.

Look at the parrot cichlid,it cant even close its mouth,i wouldnt let color be a reason for cross breeding fish,as in dogs it can cause many problems such as deformaties

Yes but in nature it is by natural selection,and only the strongest survive,most man made cross breds would not be able to fend for themselves in the wild

The biggest issue with crossbreeding is the high potential for defects in the fish which often ends in high cull rates. Crossbred fish also tend to be sterile (thanks nature) unless they are closely related. Closely related species can and do interbreed with minimal issues, it happens in nature in lots of fish (sunfish species are notorious for it).

It's actually nothing like dogs. Dog breeds were created by humans through selective breeding; however, different dog breeds are still the same species. Hybridization occurs when two distinct species interbreed, like all those mutt Mbuna you see at the pet stores.

severum mama said:
It's actually nothing like dogs. Dog breeds were created by humans through selective breeding; however, different dog breeds are still the same species. Hybridization occurs when two distinct species interbreed, like all those mutt Mbuna you see at the pet stores.

Agreed, the ones simply labeled "African Cichlids."

Then please do pardon it. I always thought the Africans were a giant group of subspecies. I know ignorance is no excuse but I went off of my incorrect knowledge.

jasadell said:
Agreed, the ones simply labeled "African Cichlids."

No actually there are 5 main dog species,and just like fish there gene pool consists of dominant and recessive genes.
And just like any living being we have polygenetic transferable traits ie:height,width,length etc,that is why when a doberman is bred to a rottweiler for example we get an overshot bite,fish come from gene pools and will be exactly the same in dominant and recessive gene type,and polygenetics will also apply,crossbreeding fish of very different structure would be very careless,much like breeding a shitzu to a saint bernard,so its actually very similar from a genetic standpoint

No actually there are 5 main dog species,and just like fish there gene pool consists of dominant and recessive genes.
And just like any living being we have polygenetic transferable traits ie:height,width,length etc,that is why when a doberman is bred to a rottweiler for example we get an overshot bite,fish come from gene pools and will be exactly the same in dominant and recessive gene type,and polygenetics will also apply,crossbreeding fish of very different structure would be very careless,much like breeding a shitzu to a saint bernard,so its actually very similar from a genetic standpoint

This is very well said...Need to be a sticky..

this is the kinda info I was looking for.

now what about fish of similar structure. such as demasoni & kenyi or auratus & other melanchromis?

Back
Top Bottom