I just know my girlfriend is going to kill me. 60g cichlid journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes. They are tapered so you can slide it to the desired level and then use a blade to score and break off the remainder of the shim.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sounds good. So I should only need one on each side. Thanks, man, you made this seem a lot less daunting.

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

View attachment 267240 and new scape!

I just wanted to say, that tank is beautiful and you have done an amazing job with it. Do you mind if I sort of copy that hardscape?
Really means a lot. I'd be honored. I sort of copied the Amazon river, after all ;) thank goodness my PH remains high with all the wood, it may not look like a cichlid environment but **** it this is my dream scape. I've always envied people with sweet manzanita scape... Had to do it. Show me some pics bruh

Also, how is this gonna work with a particle board stand... If I have to remove the rock, the stand will get wet. If I tilt the stand, I run the risk of rock falling and cracking the glass. Oh boy..

Also, how is this gonna work with a particle board stand... If I have to remove the rock, the stand will get wet. If I tilt the stand, I run the risk of rock falling and cracking the glass. Oh boy..

You could always take some of the rocks on the top first. The stand is coated so it should be ok with a little moisture, just wipe it off.

Id probably put two shims under each leg. I just used a small piece of wood cut to the right size

Attachments

• 1426643621707.jpg
    1426643621707.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 50
I'm glad you are helping out. Its hard to advise without being able to see the stand. Thanks for taking over.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Seriously. I think it's a common occurrence with this stand. I'll do exactly that. Should I shim from the front, or front the sides of the legs. I think I'll drain it to about 10 or so gallons and pile the rocks along the substrate, removing large ones. That way I can tip it just enough to get under. Appreciate you bro. I'll keep you guys posted. You've all been so helpful. I just love this **** tank... Dream come true!! :)

Glad to help! I'd shim from the front since the wedge will fit the angle.

Got me some tools, a big bucket, and a level and shim. My help bailed on me... If I drain the water and the rock, leave the substrate, can I tip it enough to get the shims in? Or should I not tackle this solo. Lol

Okay....four hours later, I did it.

- drained tank, removed EVERYTHING it was almost perfect. Filled it up, had an amazing scape I should've got a picture of, and realized... My **** filters don't fit back!!!!!

- scream, cry, etc. Look for receipts to new filters, say to myself... Let's get a canister, I can't do that again.

- do it again, remove EVERYTHING... and fish... Pull stand forward, shim near perfectly. It is almost dead level. In the pics it is a little unlevel on the left side, but it's nigh negligible. Originally.. The bubble was so far to the right, it was almost out of the level.

Morale of the story, level everything before hand. Patience is a virtue... Sometimes, getting to excited and rushing leads to headaches and way too much work. I always rushed things through in this hobby. I now have a respect for taking my time, and legitimately learned a life lesson [emoji38]

Thanks everybody for the help. Have some pics of the near dead level and new scape.

Left side

UtQI2cM.jpg

Right side
diUrO8q.jpg

Scape

cwhU0sC.jpg

All things considered, it may be the slightest bit uneven on one side, but I think it's as good as its getting. Maybe somebody with more experience than I can eyeball that level and let me know. :)

Looks great, glad it worked out without any thing breaking! Sorry you had to redo, like they say, "measure twice, cut once" :)

Ermmm.. i do not like conflicting level measurements on either side. I'm hoping the level is just out of whack.. otherwise your twisted/racked and it will stress the seams.
If you would be so kind? Check the sides with the level again. This time flip the level 180° both horizontally and vertically giving you 4 readings on each end.. if they're all different than buy a new level.. if you have a smartphone that isn't beat to crap you can download I handy carpenter that utilizes the mercury bubble in said phone to provide level readings. I've found it to be pretty accurate for "certain" things when the phone is out of case and not resting on buttons. Don't drop.the phone in the tank though.. please;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My soon to be wife knows I love fish.. I have 8 in my house and 3 in my bedroom.. When we first met she thought I was nuts and still kinda does... But when we move in together she asked how many tanks are coming with me lol..

One thing you guys may not agree on with me.. Is no woman will get between me and my Hobbies and my happiness.. Im serious lol.. I would dump a long term relationship and possible marriage if she gave me an ultimatum or didn't respect my hobbies...

One guy I know who has this issue is Dustin on Dustins fish tanks.. You can see his wife is a complete ***** when it comes to his passion and doesn't give two flying fricks about it...

Id never marry someone like that.

My soon to be wife knows I love fish.. I have 8 in my house and 3 in my bedroom.. When we first met she thought I was nuts and still kinda does... But when we move in together she asked how many tanks are coming with me lol..

One thing you guys may not agree on with me.. Is no woman will get between me and my Hobbies and my happiness.. Im serious lol.. I would dump a long term relationship and possible marriage if she gave me an ultimatum or didn't respect my hobbies...

One guy I know who has this issue is Dustin on Dustins fish tanks.. You can see his wife is a complete ***** when it comes to his passion and doesn't give two flying fricks about it...

Id never marry someone like that.

Where on earth did this come from? They were talking about having the tank level?!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The topic title :) lol! My girlfriend likes them..not so much that I want to add more to our small apartment [emoji38]

As far as correcting the level, it is nearly perfect. I doubt any twisting is happening, and it's probably as good as it gets. I've heard conflicting issues on whether or not to level etc... I just wanna say I'm good with where it's at and feel it's safe.

Where on earth did this come from? They were talking about having the tank level?!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hahaha, twilight zone or glitch in the matrix???

The topic title :) lol! My girlfriend likes them..not so much that I want to add more to our small apartment [emoji38]

As far as correcting the level, it is nearly perfect. I doubt any twisting is happening, and it's probably as good as it gets. I've heard conflicting issues on whether or not to level etc... I just wanna say I'm good with where it's at and feel it's safe.

Ohhkie dokie.. just have 5 levels in my truck... not to important though.. especially with glass and water:/ I'm sure it will be fine..

Back
Top Bottom