Ick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flowin

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so i've seen ick in my freshwater tank but not sure if it looks the same in salt water i think my tang might have it if you notice theres two white spots on his top fin and bottom fin and one eye is puffjng up and kind of clearish.

Attachments

• image-803678180.jpg
    image-803678180.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 118
Hard to tell from the picture but it looks too big to be ich from what I can see. I would be more inclined to say its lymphocytosis.

Ya haha its hard to get a good picture with those guys but the white spots almost seem like flesh wounds but how would you treat lymphocytosis?

It's a virus so you just wait it out and keep an eye out for a secondary infection . Keep your water super clean and it should go away in a month or so. But try to get better pics so we can confirm it

Heres another one and you can see the one picture the left eye is clear and puffy

Attachments

• image-1206001253.jpg
    image-1206001253.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 99
  • image-418397103.jpg
    image-418397103.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 104
Lymphociis and cloudy eyes are both signs of poor water quality. What are your levels at? Do a nice big water change and I would also add some Special Blend or stability if you have some - it won't cure anything, but it'll help with your water quality. Keep us posted!

My water conditions are all perfect except the salinty is a little low but i think its perfect because the tank is only about a month old i did a water change the tang seems to be doing fine its not acting diffrent just looks sick.

The fact that the tank is so you might actually be the problem. Do lots of water changes and add some bacterial supplement like stability or special blend or both. Keep oxygen levels up!
Soak some nori or food in vitamins and with time he should get better. Let us know of he gets any worse though.

Watch for any scratching or rapid gill movement as that would be a sign of ich.

I have a lot of micro bubbles should i keep them so the water is flowing more or try to get rid of them i heard garlic xtreme is good for tangs so i migt try that what other supplements can i add to the water or should i put my tang in quarantine for awhile? Sorry for all the questions i just want to get everything on track.

Remember this is a virus that needs to run its course. No matter how many vitamins /supplements you add it still has to run its course. Also about moving it to qt .... With lympho being a virus it has different strains . So if you do not have any other tangs then there is no need to move to qt unless something secondary pops up . So basically if you have a tang in your tank with lymphocytosis it is contagious to other tangs only just like if you had a clown with it is only contagious to other members of the damsel family.I would just keep water clean and keep a sharp eye out for anything secondary

I agree with hondatech. Sorry, I didn't mean to say that vitamins and supplements will cure the virus, but help the fish through more easily.

I would leave him in your display and keep an eye on water quality. Moving him to another aquarium will probably just stress him out.
With regards to micro bubbles, it's not such a good idea to have them in your display tank. Do you have a skimmer and flow pumps?

In terms of vitamins - I use bright well aquatics vitamarin-m and c. Basically you've gotta wait it out and provide your fish the best water conditions and nutrition.

Yes i have a ten gallon sump with a protein skimmer in the first chamber and a return pump in the last.

Attachments

• image-3483233502.jpg
    image-3483233502.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 57
  • image-1631487721.jpg
    image-1631487721.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 52
I figured out the bubbles are coming from dual powerheads in the tank i just dont know where they are coming from bexause i took out the two tubes that are bringing up the water and put them in the back chamber and no micro bubbles.

Attachments

• image-3565859353.jpg
    image-3565859353.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 43
  • image-736656449.jpg
    image-736656449.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 69
Ya i feed him and my clown nutra mar ova and they love it and he just nibbles at them sometimes but i havent seen any rubbing.

with his eye condition I have to agree with Hondatek on his diagnosis. Tangs are really tough when you move them to a quarantine tank, I have lost a few trying to quarantine. Try to make it as less stressful as possible I like moving them during lights out time and it seems to help keep them from stressing out.

Back
Top Bottom