Joey's Rimless 17 Gallon High Tech Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I'll get a few more. Like you said Janis, all I needed was patience. The Panatal is finally showing growth. :)

I had a harlequin jump tonight at lights out. :( They always go crazy at lights out. I'm going to get the ADA glass top for this tank. It will be especially needed because I have some Boraras Brigattae coming in. Anyone know how this will effect my PAR values? Should I run the light without the splash guard since I have a cover, or use the splash guard? I just don't want to see a reduction in par or anything like that because I have the tank balanced and algae free.

A lot of the smaller schooling fish, IME, go crazy when the lights abruptly go out. If you get the moonlights installed and have them turn on before the lights shut off completely, this should help ease their stressing out. Weren't you going to get the moonlight LED from ebay or those RGB stips from Costco?

A lot of the smaller schooling fish, IME, go crazy when the lights abruptly go out. If you get the moonlights installed and have them turn on before the lights shut off completely, this should help ease their stressing out. Weren't you going to get the moonlight LED from ebay or those RGB stips from Costco?

Yeah I though about them just haven't gotten to it. Haha. I'll get to work on that. Id rather that than a top. I'll talk to my dad and see what he thinks.

I'd say go with the Costco one because with Costco, you can return that almost indefinitely if you decide you hate it. I just love costco for that awesome return policy!

I think the glass top will reduce the PAR if you don't clean it often. Water splashes on it and it gets all cloudy, which blocks some light. However, I still might get one for my 60p to use occasionally -- especially when I go on short vacations. I'll need to reduce the evaporation factor.

I had a harlequin jump tonight at lights out. :( They always go crazy at lights out. I'm going to get the ADA glass top for this tank. It will be especially needed because I have some Boraras Brigattae coming in. Anyone know how this will effect my PAR values? Should I run the light without the splash guard since I have a cover, or use the splash guard? I just don't want to see a reduction in par or anything like that because I have the tank balanced and algae free.

Sorry to hear that :( Harlequins are renowned jumpers, easily excited.

I have a glass cover on the Nuvo 24g as most of the inhabitants are jumpers and the gobies climbers. It is a pain to have to keep cleaned.

I have 30 Chili's in the 55g which has an open top and they never get jumpy or anything BUT I do keep 3 or 4 Water Hyacinth in the tank as they and the clown killi's like to sleep and sometimes hang under them during the day.

I've actually thought about that a lot. Major plant physiology like Tom Barr!

He has been a great resource. He's a member of my club and has done presentations for us and is great about answering questions. He's a busy guy, but always interesting to talk to. The first time I met him at a Meeting I had no idea who Tom Barr was :)

More plant experts are a good thing :)

I'd say go with the Costco one because with Costco, you can return that almost indefinitely if you decide you hate it. I just love costco for that awesome return policy! I think the glass top will reduce the PAR if you don't clean it often. Water splashes on it and it gets all cloudy, which blocks some light. However, I still might get one for my 60p to use occasionally -- especially when I go on short vacations. I'll need to reduce the evaporation factor.
I'm going to get that soon probably. I'm going to order the glass top from ADG especially since it's only 19$. I'll just have to keep it clean.

I have a glass cover on the Nuvo 24g as most of the inhabitants are jumpers and the gobies climbers. It is a pain to have to keep cleaned. I have 30 Chili's in the 55g which has an open top and they never get jumpy or anything BUT I do keep 3 or 4 Water Hyacinth in the tank as they and the clown killi's like to sleep and sometimes hang under them during the day.
Yeah, I just don't want to lose anymore fish. Petco ordered 6 Chilis and 6 Rummies for me. ill add 5 Chilis and 4 Rummies to up the school to 5. I also have to get another harlequin I guess. I'm taking back the lone Cory and the two neons for store credit. I picked up a cobalt goby and he doesn't burrow at all. He only eats the GDA off the glass. Do you think the Chilis will resemble the harlequins too much?

No they don't resemble them but some of mine came in about 3/8" so be sure to have a sponge or some type of cover on your intake. Also since the Chili's are so small you need to be sure they are getting their share of food and be sure the food is small enough.

No they don't resemble them but some of mine came in about 3/8" so be sure to have a sponge or some type of cover on your intake. Also since the Chili's are so small you need to be sure they are getting their share of food and be sure the food is small enough.

Ok just wanted to make sure. Since I'm getting rid of the neons, I'll probably get about 7 Chilis. I'm feeding the .5mm NLS formula. Should this be ok? I think it's the smallest they sell.

I tried that and it was too big for most of them. I had to crush them up which was a pain. So I've been using the Repashy Superfoods. I take out a small chunk of the gel and I rub the other edge between my fingers to put some small bit's in the water and let the rest fall. I also have some Hikari Tubifex worm cubes that I press on the side of the tank every few days. The other fish tear them up and the Chili's and Neon Rasbora's love to eat the small pieces. Really finely crushed flake food work too but I'm not a big fan of them.

I tried that and it was too big for most of them. I had to crush them up which was a pain. So I've been using the Repashy Superfoods. I take out a small chunk of the gel and I rub the other edge between my fingers to put some small bit's in the water and let the rest fall. I also have some Hikari Tubifex worm cubes that I press on the side of the tank every few days. The other fish tear them up and the Chili's and Neon Rasbora's love to eat the small pieces. Really finely crushed flake food work too but I'm not a big fan of them.

Ok, I'll crush some up. I'll look Into the repashy stuff from msjinkzd.

It's not TOO widely known, but the food "Plecocaine" on aquabid is awesome (and it's not just for plecos ;)). It's like cheap NLS, really legit stuff. On saturday night express, it is sold at $6/pound + shipping. You can choose grain size. I think size #01 and #02 would fit in chili mouths. Much cheaper than repashy, so something to consider :) My fish go nuts for it.

It's not TOO widely known, but the food "Plecocaine" on aquabid is awesome stuff (and it's not just for plecos ;)). It's like cheap NLS, really legit stuff. On saturday night express, it is sold at $6/pound + shipping. You can choose grain size. I think size #01 and #02 would fit in chili mouths.

Oh cool! Thanks a lot, bud! I'll be sure to look into that this week. What's that AS you got for?

Back
Top Bottom