Juvenile Orandas fighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going to do a 75% water change, take all of the gravel out & clean it, re-bunch the plants & clean the filter on Wednesday. Does that sound okay?

Typically British!

That sounds good. I'd even do 100%. Put them in a bucket for a bit while you empty it and clean the gravel. Definitely get all the the snails out of the filter so it's flowing freely. Make it a habit to change most of the water every week and clean the filter regularly and that will go a long way to keeping everybody healthy until you get that bigger tank! :)

The snails are so hard to get out of the filter sponge. When my mum gets paid I might just see if I can buy a new sponge. It could do with replacing anyway. Shall I put them in a bucket of their tank water & then put the bucket of tank water back in the tank (if that makes sense)? Shall I do a 75% water change every 4 days or something?

Typically British!

There's a lot of important bacteria that is essential to the bio filter living in that sponge - don't throw it away! If you replace it, you'll be pretty much starting over cycling your tank. The snails would probably end up taking over the new sponge, too. I don't have snails, so I don't know a good way to get rid of them. Maybe someone else here could give you advice on that.

With the water change, you can remove enough water to leave the fish covered and then refill it with fresh. Vacuum the gravel real good while you're draining it. So much food and waste gets trapped in gravel and it's a breeding ground for unhealthy bacteria. Test your water. If ammonia and nitrite are staying at zero and the nitrates don't exceed 40 ppm, you could probably change it once a week. If you ever see ammonia or nitrite, do a big water change since these are very toxic. If you find that nitrates are rising a lot - over 40 ppm, you should change the water more than once a week. The only way to know for sure is to test the water.

Update:
All are happy & healthy in fish tank world. My "friend" really screwed me over about the whole getting a tank off her thing, so my goldfish will have to wait until I start working & get £325 to buy them a 50 gallon tank. The pleco now has a name, he's called "Pubby" I also found out he is a common pleco, nothing fancy :( I think that's it... I have blue hair now, but that's a bit irrelevant, oh well, I'll tell you anyway. Oh yeah almost forgot, I found out that they absolutely looooooooove cucumber :)

Typically British!

That's so good to hear! Sorry you couldn't get your friend's tank, but a 50 gallon will be fantastic for your goldies!

And blue hair is not irrelevant, it's awesome! :)

I've figured out it would take me two weeks to earn £400 in the job I'm hoping to get. Now I just need to get the job XD attaching a picture of the blue hair purely because it's, well, blue XD

Typically British!

Attachments

• 1403219011046.jpg
    1403219011046.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 46
Thank you! :) my hairdresser is awesome!
I'll let you know how the job hunt goes. I should know in about 1-2 weeks if my lfs wants me to go in for an interview

Typically British!

Oh my gosh. So my lfs got back to me. They said they're having trouble opening my C.V that I emailed & I need to send it again -_- great. I'M IN FRANCE. I've sent a text to my mum & asked her to send it to them again. Oh my gosh I'm so annoyed. But it looks like they've sent it to about 5 or 6 other applicants. What if they don't get my C.V? I'm not back in England until until Tuesday. Oh this is the last thing I need!

Typically British!

Hang in there! I'm not familiar with the term C.V, but I can tell you that one of the most important things when applying for a job is to stay in communication with them. If they have questions or run into an issue and you respond promptly, it tells them that you're a candidate to give serious consideration to.

After you (or mum) resend the information, follow up with a phone call and ask if they received it. Apologize for any inconvenience and let them know that you are out of the country at the moment but will be back by Tuesday, and would really appreciate the opportunity to follow up as soon as you get back.

You can set yourself apart in situations like this by showing potential employers how you handle a problem. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

@TankGirl - CV stands for Curriculum Vitae. Outside of the US, it is interchangeable with resumé.
BTW, good advice given!

Thanks, Fresh2o! I thought it might be something like that. Thanks for the compliment, too!

Arrrgh! I just know you're on pins and needles, too!

I would contact them and follow up. Ask if they've had the chance to go over your information and tell them that you'd be happy to answer questions they might have. Offer to meet with them in person at their convenience. Showing initiative and enthusiasm will make you stand out and good employers respond to that.

Good luck, Katie! I'm really pulling for you!

I will do! It's just been so long & considering as how they sent me that email about my cv, they would have got back to me. I guess all I can do is send another email & wait :(

Typically British!

Back
Top Bottom