Kribensis Planted Paradise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
fishfanatic said:
I still have not added any fish to the tank but I have continued to add some different kinds of plants.
There is some strange spider web looking stuff growing on some of my plants, what is it? Is it good/bad?
The tank is not cycled, I plan to instant cycle it with some seeded media from my established tanks could this contribute to the white fuzz? I have been dosing with flourish comprehensive after every 50% water change, I have also been using flourish root tabs. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

I've gotten weird white sheets of slime. Some sort of water mold or fungus. It went away with regular PWCs and good filtration.

Thanks for your input.
I just finished cutting a lid for the tank, I made it out of Plexiglas. I also got an AC50 because the penguin filter was about to overflow I had to stuff a tun of media in there in order for it to actually clean the water. The AC seems to being working really well, it is kind of strong, it makes a big crater in the sand where the water hits :/
As soon as I can get the water fungus taken care of I should be ready for a pair of Kribensis.

I just got back from the fish store, and I got a male and female krib! As of now i am floating their bag in then tank and in 15 minutes i will start a drip accumulation and do that for about 30-45 minutes. Hopefully these little guys will like their new home! I will post pictures after I turn the lights back on. ;)

These kribs are crazy good at hiding! The male has not left his little coconut cave since he found it. The female seems to like her little vala forest. Here are the best pictures I can get of these shy fish:

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120603_101234.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120603_101234.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 99
  • ForumRunner_20120603_101319.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120603_101319.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 101
The kribs (Patrick and Sandie) seem to be doing quite well. Today I noticed some new behavior, the female is swimming around the males cave. In the past the male has just stayed in his cave and the female has just stayed in her little vala forest. She has also developed a rather bright purple stomach. I hope this means they are pairing off. I think the new romantic moon lights are helping ;)
I was at the fish store and I mentioned to the employee that the kribs hide a lot. She suggested that I get some kind of other fish. She said that it will make the kribs fell more secure. Is this correct? If the kribs get aggressive then I can move the fish into my other tank. What are your thoughts?

I have a problem with the kribs trying to "out dig" their home. The male loves to dig but he has it the bottom of the tank and now he is digging out sideways, which is fine all except it makes their cave get closer and closer to the bottom of the tank. Now the male can barely get in and out.
Are they doing this on purpose? Should I attach some stilts or something to stop the coconut from falling lower?

Here is a picture of his mine :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120617_162746.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120617_162746.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 105
Even though it doesn't appear like anyone is following this thread I still like to update it. Today I was supper stealthy around the tank and I managed to get a picture of the female she has really colored up nicely. I don't see the male real often but when I do it is a real treat because his fins are really colorful! Anyways here are some pictures of the female (pardon my reflection):

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120623_172533.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120623_172533.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 100
  • ForumRunner_20120623_172548.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120623_172548.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 100
Even though it doesn't appear like anyone is following this thread I still like to update it.

I read every post you make on this thread. I enjoy seeing what you are doing with it. I may not post that much, but that doesn't mean I am not paying attention.

rkilling1 said:
I read every post you make on this thread. I enjoy seeing what you are doing with it. I may not post that much, but that doesn't mean I am not paying attention.

CorallineAlgae said:
Same here. I read and follow every post. I just can't offer advice because I haven't kept kribs.

Sorry if i sounded upset that there were no replies. I guess i didn't want it to appear like I was trying to bump the thread :)

I just bought a pair of Kribs and I'm following your post religiously :) don't stop!! :)

Yes Kribs dig with a purpose! It's actually pretty cool. They build up a mound in front of the entrance, in my opinion, to ensure that other fish cannot fit inside. I love watching my kribs go to work.

Also, the purple patch on her stomach means she is in "breeding mode" she wants that cave to lay eggs in. Did you ever get any other fish to put in the tank? Your female will get quite aggressive when she has babies to protect and its wise to get dither fish. Fast swimmers that she can't catch but takes her aggression out on.

Smcoyle87 said:
Also, the purple patch on her stomach means she is in "breeding mode" she wants that cave to lay eggs in. Did you ever get any other fish to put in the tank? Your female will get quite aggressive when she has babies to protect and its wise to get dither fish. Fast swimmers that she can't catch but takes her aggression out on.

I don't have another fish in the tank. What would be a good example of a fast fish? Would thread fin rainbows work?

I'm not too familiar with threadfin rainbows but just make sure that they are fast enough to evade the momma krib. It's just to make sure that the kribs can release their aggression on fish other than each other. Rainbows should work. I used emperor tetras.

. In the past the male has just stayed in his cave and the female has just stayed in her little vala forest. She has also developed a rather bright purple stomach. I hope this means they are pairing off. I think the new romantic moon lights are helping ;)
I was at the fish store and I mentioned to the employee that the kribs hide a lot. She suggested that I get some kind of other fish. She said that it will make the kribs fell more secure. Is this correct? If the kribs get aggressive then I can move the fish into my other tank. What are your thoughts?

Kribs require caves to spawn. Is the male's cave the only one you have available to them? I kept my cichlid stones in for my kribs and the mom would lay eggs in one and then once the fry were free-swimming, at night, she'd take them to any one of the caves to hide them overnight.

As for dither fish, kribs don't really need them. Yes, they will hassle other fish when they get too close to the eggs/fry, but it's not really that bad. You could get something like a tetra, which can hold its own against them. I also had my kuhli loaches when I had my kribs and they're a perfect tankmate for them, as they don't eat the fry. In fact, my fry used to school with my kuhlis. I wouldn't recommend kuhlis for a 20 gallon tank, though.

I kept both the adults and any fry in my community tank. I never separated them out until I brought the fry, at 5 months of age, to the lfs.

LyndaB said:
Kribs require caves to spawn. Is the male's cave the only one you have available to them? I kept my cichlid stones in for my kribs and the mom would lay eggs in one and then once the fry were free-swimming, at night, she'd take them to any one of the caves to hide them overnight.

As for dither fish, kribs don't really need them. Yes, they will hassle other fish when they get too close to the eggs/fry, but it's not really that bad. You could get something like a tetra, which can hold its own against them. I also had my kuhli loaches when I had my kribs and they're a perfect tankmate for them, as they don't eat the fry. In fact, my fry used to school with my kuhlis.

I kept both the adults and any fry in my community tank. I never separated them out until I brought the fry, at 5 months of age, to the lfs.

I have 2 caves in the tank. I should probably have more in there.

I think I will get some dither fish just because I would like more fish :) Then if the time comes that the tank is too overstocked then I can move the fish to my other tanks.

Yes a female Kribensis protecting her fry will need some dither or else the male is gonna get it. Eventually, after the fry grow a little, she will let the male come closer and help take care of the fry while she goes and looks for food. I'm not saying that you need to go out and get new fish asap! (Unless you want to) :) because you already have other fish in the tank. I just wanted you to know that little piece of info for future endeavors I guess haha. 2 caves is perfect. From what I understand, it's only a matter of time! Niiicceee

Back
Top Bottom