Kribensis Planted Paradise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Smcoyle87 said:
Here is a pic of the pair I have:

I can't believe how colorful those are! I hope mine color up when the breed. Mine still hide a lot, like the male swims into the cave every time I even peak around the corner to the tank. I might also upgrade the tank now that the 1$ per gallon sale is on. I was thinking a 29 gallon. It would only be 9 gallons more but it is the only size I could get without needing a new lid. At least I think a 29 gallon and a 20 gallon long tank have the same dimensions?

Do you see all the little fry on the wood underneath them?! :)

I couldn't tell you about the dimensions sorry... although, in my experience, fish don't really care about the depth of the water that much, they like more surface area. But hey, every gallon counts!
Keep me posted I'm interested!

Ahhhh! I just moved a coconut to clean the moss off and I noticed a bunch of cream colored sesame seed things. They are wiggling! Could they be eggs? They look like they are shivering. What should i do? Will the mom collect them back up? Ahhhh!

Those are called wigglers! What happens is the eggs are layed on the roof or side inside the coconut and then the male go in and fertilizes them. Then after a few days, they start to develop and "wiggle"
They then drop down to the and continue to develop! The mom will take care of them and pretty soon you will have babies in the "yolk-sac" stage. Which means they have a sac attached to them which provides there nutrients for a couple of days. When that stage is done, they become free swimming and the mom will keep them in a group and lead them around the take in search for food! They eat mainly algae and leftovers at this stage so don't freak about about feeding them. Once you start to notice them developing a little more though, go get some food for them. The mom will continue to care for them!
So amazing watching them raise fry! Enjoy!

I put the coconut back on as soon as I noticed the wigglers. I think I was too late the mom came by and ate the eggs. Is it possible that she was trying to just move them? Or do i need to just wait for the next batch?

She could have been gathering a bunch in her mouth and moving them to a different location...and same with the rest.

I just got home from vacation and I arrived home to my mom and sister waiting to take me to my tank to show me this! Apparently the mom was gathering the wigglers to move them, not eat them, Hurray!!! I have not seen them yet but my sister said they have spots on them and they are "so cute!!!"
Time to get down to busyness:
What is a good fry food?
How many times a day should I feed?
Do I continue with normal pwc?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120708_165847.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120708_165847.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 107
They are defiantly free swimming fry! The parents both keep them in a little cluster and they lead them around the tank to different plants, it is the coolest thing ever!!

Nice! Congrats! Okay, go get some "Hikari first bites" for food.
How often are you doing water changes??

For feeding the free swimmers i went and bought a syringe from the local drug store used to feed babies. Fill it with a little water, then suck up the hikari first bites, NOT TOO MUCH. It's powder so a little is a lot.
Then I "injected" it near the group of fry, but not too close as to startle them. You will see rapid growth in the upcoming weeks!

Smcoyle87 said:
Nice! Congrats! Okay, go get some "Hikari first bites" for food.
How often are you doing water changes??

For feeding the free swimmers i went and bought a syringe from the local drug store used to feed babies. Fill it with a little water, then suck up the hikari first bites, NOT TOO MUCH. It's powder so a little is a lot.
Then I "injected" it near the group of fry, but not too close as to startle them. You will see rapid growth in the upcoming weeks!

Today I got some frozen baby brine shrimp to feed them like once or twice a week, I will have to get some first bite later (I am getting my wisdom teeth out tomorrow morning)
My water changes are about every week and a half at 50%. I may need to increase the regularity after all my Bio load is increasing (I counted 21 fry).

Would just crushing up flake food to a fine powder work for feeding them?
How many of these fry should I expect to actually survive to be adults. Half of them?

The number of them surviving is hard to say. From my experience, Kribs are pretty good at parenting and getting babies to survive. I would say 12 to 15 at the LEAST. Mine have consistently reached about 22-ish haha.

Baby brine shrimp is PERFECT. And yes to save money crushed up flakes works too! You're golden. Good luck with those teeth man!

bettaowner said:
That is my dream aquarium.

Thank you! I have definitely enjoyed it.

Today I feed the fry some baby brine shrimp and they went wild.

This morning I counted 8 fry... do you think I am under feeding? I guess these parents are still pretty young so they might no quite have the ability to take care of all them. Any thoughts? Anything I should be doing to help the remaining 8 fry?

No you probably aren't under feeding if you are giving them brine shrimp. They usually do a good job of finding algae and snacking on that throughout the day. It's hard to say what went wrong..maybe try 1 extra water change per week?
Test your water, fry are always sensitive to nutrient levels.

Back
Top Bottom