Kribensis Planted Paradise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am going to try to test the water. I have been feeding them some frozen baby brine shrimp once a day, I have not fed crushed up flakes yet.

Ph: 7.6
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5 ppm
Temperature: 78°F

The parents have seem to forgotten about the fry. The fry have just been sitting on the substrate not really moving. It worries me that the parents aren't caring for them. I tried feeding some powdered flakes but they didn't seem to eat any. I think I have lost this batch...

The parents might still pick one or two off, if given the opportunity. There's usually one good parent and one evil one. My female used to chase the male off once the fry were free-swimming. He would try to catch and eat them. Once, he caught one that was about 8 weeks old, swallowed it whole and I watched his eyes bulge out when it must've gotten stuck in his throat. Scared himself to death. I don't think he kept fry on the menu after that episode. :lol:

I haven't noticed the parents being aggressive towards one another. Right now for the parents are under the same coconut and the fry are in another part of the tank. Only one of the fry are really swimming the rest are just laying on the substrate not really moving at all.

Hmmm...maybe they are just bad parents right now, sometimes it takes a couple of tries before the mom gets it right. Don't worry though, they'll have another batch before you know it.

Now the parents are paying lots of attention to the fry. The 8 remaining fry are continuing to grow. I have noticed that the fry tend to respond more to their mom than their dad. When the dad goes over to them the fry don't really respond but as soon as the mom goes over they all swarm her and follow her every move.
The parents both seem to be tag teeming things pretty well. The dad will tend for a while then the mom will take over excentra...

Smcoyle87 said:
How's everything going? Still have 8 little guys?!

The last I saw of them was yesterday and I only saw 3 baby's... I have been watching for them today and I haven't seen any of them. I guess they are in fishie heaven, where they get pwc's every day lol
Maybe the next batch will work out better

Last edited:
Okey I want you guys opinion... I currently have the kribs in a 20 gallon long tank.
Question:
Should I buy a new 29 gallon while the 1$ per gallon sale is going? I have the funds but I don't know if it will really benefit the kribs at all. What are your thoughts?

In my opinion and experience, the bigger the tank gets, the happier the fish get. Go for it! More space is always better!

The kribs have decided to give me a second chance at being a grandpa! My best guess is that there are about 50 little free swimming fry. These fry seem much healthier than the last batch, and the parents seem to be much better as well at parenting. I hope I get at least a few survivors from this batch. Only time will tell...

Ahhh!!! My kribs have had another batch of fry but now the parents have started to fight. The female and male have some ripped fins! Do I move the male or the female to my other community tank? Please help! Thank you!

The female is in protection mode. I can't remember the size of your tank but if it's large enough the male will stay clear of the feisty mom! Eventually the mom will calm down and let the male start helping with raising the fry. Remind me of the size of your tank?

Smcoyle87 said:
The female is in protection mode. I can't remember the size of your tank but if it's large enough the male will stay clear of the feisty mom! Eventually the mom will calm down and let the male start helping with raising the fry. Remind me of the size of your tank?

The tank is a 20 gallon long. I moved the male to the other tank. He was being very diligent about taking care of the babies and the female didn't like that one bit! I am concerned though because I have not seen the male for 2 days. Time will tell if he is alive

Your male is most likely alive and just hiding. Females can be quite feisty! Best of luck to you and don't be shy if you think you have any problems.

Steve

I just spotted the male. He looks awful! His back fin is almost completely gone. I can't really imagine anybody harming him in the tank he is in. There are neon tetras, rosy barbs, dwarf neon rainbows, haliquin rasboras, Kerry tetras, hatchet fish, upside down catfish, SAE, and a peacock eel.
He has more than enough hiding places. And he seems to be swimming just fine.

What can I do to help him? Put a divider in the 20 gallon tank to separate the male and female?

fishfanatic said:
I just spotted the male. He looks awful! His back fin is almost completely gone. I can't really imagine anybody harming him in the tank he is in. There are neon tetras, rosy barbs, dwarf neon rainbows, haliquin rasboras, Kerry tetras, hatchet fish, upside down catfish, SAE, and a peacock eel.
He has more than enough hiding places. And he seems to be swimming just fine.

What can I do to help him? Put a divider in the 20 gallon tank to separate the male and female?

Maybe divide the twenty and make so they can't see each other then give each parent half the fry to care for?(once the male is able)

Once the male's fin has healed you could put him back in with a divider, but i would leave all the fry with the mom. She is the primary caretaker. In the mean time, give him some time to heal. Poor guy.
Maybe even by that time the mom will have calmed down a little and you can just not use the divider. Just use your best judgment.

Thank you both for your advice! I am going to do as suggested and keep them in separate tanks. I think the male needs to use his energy to heal and not take care of his 50+ babies.

I swear that his tail fin is more beat up than it was when I put him in the other tank. Could this just be side effects of the initial injury or is he being harmed by other fish in the different tank? It is a 90 gallon fairly heavily planted tank so there is lots of room and hiding places. I hate to see him suffer!

Back
Top Bottom