Low light planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have a picture right now but I'll post one when I get home

tamtam said:
I've actually been following along with your thread! lol. Great to know about your plants are all low light. :)

I have a few that are higher light like Stargrass but I'd say like 98% of them are low-low/med light plants :)

Good to know I have people who look at that thread :)

Low Light Planted Tanks

Would love to see some low light planted tanks for inspiration!!

Hello tamtam...

OK. Don't know if this one will inspire you, but here's a pic of one of my tanks. It's a potted, planted tank. I put my aquatic plants in pots so they're easy to move or to stack if necessary.

B

Attachments

• tank+001[3].jpg
    tank+001[3].jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 351
BBradbury said:
Hello tamtam...

OK. Don't know if this one will inspire you, but here's a pic of one of my tanks. It's a potted, planted tank. I put my aquatic plants in pots so they're easy to move or to stack if necessary.

B

My gawd that's a lot of fish in there!! Haha

Planted Tanks

My gawd that's a lot of fish in there!! Haha

Hello Pred...

Yes. it is alot. But "Livebearers" will do this in pure water conditions. I change out half the water every week in this 55 G. The plants create many hiding places for the females and fry, so there's a high fry survival rate. Also, with fry you feed more often, so the adult fish are well fed and typically show little interest in the fry.

B

Here's my 10 gallon, which houses Endlers and RCS:

image-1962648222.jpg

And here's my 29 community tank:

image-2241613905.jpg

Both are low light, no CO2, and I dose API Leaf Zone on occasion, less than the recommended dosage. Some plants thrive, some do pretty good. They are all doing well though. Hope this does inspire you! It would make me feel good knowing that my hard work paid off.

View attachment 119111

View attachment 119112

Both are low light, no CO2, and I dose API Leaf Zone on occasion, less than the recommended dosage. Some plants thrive, some do pretty good. They are all doing well though. Hope this does inspire you! It would make me feel good knowing that my hard work paid off.
thank you! What sort of lighting do you have? Just the standard lighting that came with the tank?

I love the 29, what plants do you have there?

Hello tamtam...

B

Wow, that's a lot of fish! And plants. Are they all low light? They are huge!

Low Light Planted Tanks

Wow, that's a lot of fish! And plants. Are they all low light? They are huge!

Hello again tamtam...

Yes. The tank has a little more than 1 watt of light per gallon of tank size. Specifically, it has two T5 bulbs, both 28 watts and a few LEDs in the strip.

Nothing fancy in the tank. Just low to moderate light plants, like Amazon Sword, some floating Anacharis and Pennywort. No CO2, because low light plants don't require it.

I do dose a liquid fert, called Flora Pride when I do my water changes and sometimes when I top off my tanks.

Again, nothing special.

B

My tanks just have the stock lights. The 10 has 2 10 or 15 watt fluorescents and the 29 has a T5 bulb, which I believe is 17 watts. I know these are not sufficient, and I do want to upgrade. But I've been concentrating on other things for the tanks and things have been good up to this point, so I'll keep going with what I have for now. Besides, there are plenty of low maintenance plants out there that both look good and do a good job of helping with water quality.

Finally remembered to post a photo. Sorry but I had some maintenance to do first.

Attachments

• image-1965509634.jpg
    image-1965509634.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 171

View attachment 119111

View attachment 119112

Wow that 29 is gorgeous! What kind of plants you got in there?

Back
Top Bottom