Low light planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm kicking myself now. It was on sale for a great price the other week at the LPS. I should have picked some up. I didn't at the time because I am planning to move the tank and didn't want to plant it.

Yeah, hornwort is great. And it looks super nice as well. Can't go wrong with that stuff. I'm kinda liking my crypt as well. I think it's Wendtii, not sure. But mine is really taking off. I've had it about 2 months, an it has more than doubles in size.

Yeah, hornwort is great. And it looks super nice as well. Can't go wrong with that stuff. I'm kinda liking my crypt as well. I think it's Wendtii, not sure. But mine is really taking off. I've had it about 2 months, an it has more than doubles in size.

oh I will def have to look into some crypts too.

I've got a list going from all this great info, but I have another quick question. what are some good plants for height? we have a 10 gallon we'd like to fill out, but none of our plants are taller than about mid-tank so it's lacking depth right now.

I've got a list going from all this great info, but I have another quick question. what are some good plants for height? we have a 10 gallon we'd like to fill out, but none of our plants are taller than about mid-tank so it's lacking depth right now.

I believe water sprite grows upwards of 12 inches when planted but can also be floated. As well as horn wart and wisteria. There are a lot that will grow tall but you need to have enough lighting to allow them to do so which can be challenging when trying to stick with low light

Athaocity said:
I like the left side of the tank, joey

The right side has just been planted and should fill nicely it was more a case of chuck loads of plants around the filter pumps, tubes and heater than try and make it look good but I'm trying to think of some ideas. I can see a new thread coming on haha...

For height, as mentioned, wisteria and hornwort are definitely good ones. I'm becoming partial towards my anacharis. Mine has grown at least an inch since this thread started...hahaha. In fact, in my 10 gallon, 2 stems are about an inch from the surface.

I use jungle Val for height. It works very well because it spreads out well

jackwagon said:

Good one! I've been wanting this as well, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

And if you let it grow across the top a bit, it makes excellent cover for top dwelling fish and bubble nest builders like gouramis.

One or two clumps in the front corners also provides a nice framed in look to a tank and makes the fish feel more secure so they move around a bit more naturally.

I'm loving all of these ideas!

I've finally picked up my sand for the new tank and am working my way through rinsing it. MIL has flown in from the other end of the country for a few days which I'm sure has put a hold on things.

Man.....this all makes me want to go to Petco right now and take advantage of the buck per gallon sale. I want to start another tank!

creic38 said:
Man.....this all makes me want to go to Petco right now and take advantage of the buck per gallon sale. I want to start another tank!

go for it! I did early in september and now the tanks are just sitting around empty.

Athaocity said:
go for it! I did early in september and now the tanks are just sitting around empty.

Stop tempting me! I will hold you responsible when my wife asks for a divorce! Hahahaha

Back
Top Bottom