Low light planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No it has only been up for about 90 days I think but the RCS have quadrupled in that time! The really tall one is a jungle Val it was sent off 3 runners and the leaves are 18 inches tall (just measured them yesterday.)

Sorry for the delay....the 29 has wisteria, ludwigia, java moss, java fern, watersprite, a crypt (in the middle), anacharis and a couple of moss balls. There are a couple of fake ones in there as well. I just added (yesterday) a dwarf pennywort, more wisteria, another moss (can't remember which cuzz I bought so much stuff and an anubia pettite. I'll take another pic when everything settles in. I also added riccia and watersprite to the 10......and another moss ball. I'm a sucker for those things, especially when I find an lfs selling them for a buck 50! I'll post pics in a couple of days.

No it has only been up for about 90 days I think but the RCS have quadrupled in that time! The really tall one is a jungle Val it was sent off 3 runners and the leaves are 18 inches tall (just measured them yesterday.)

awesome, is that a nice easy plant? I think I would love some of that in the back/side of my tank

Sorry for the delay....the 29 has wisteria, ludwigia, java moss, java fern, watersprite, a crypt (in the middle), anacharis and a couple of moss balls. There are a couple of fake ones in there as well. I just added (yesterday) a dwarf pennywort, more wisteria, another moss (can't remember which cuzz I bought so much stuff and an anubia pettite. I'll take another pic when everything settles in. I also added riccia and watersprite to the 10......and another moss ball. I'm a sucker for those things, especially when I find an lfs selling them for a buck 50! I'll post pics in a couple of days.

Do moss balls do well in low light? I've rad so much conflicting info. I really like the look of them and would love to have one.

tamtam said:
awesome, is that a nice easy plant? I think I would love some of that in the back/side of my tank

Yep one of the easiest. Just don't dose excel or it will melt.

Jungle Val's are low light from what I read. Moss balls are probably the easiest thing to grow from my experience. Just make sure you rotate them weekly. In other words, the part that is not exposed to light can't stay that way for too long. I have been told these guys are slow growers, but mine have grown nicely in just under 2 months.

here are a few of my lowlight plants. i have a 45gal with 48w of light
36993-albums9382-picture37092.jpg

36993-albums9382-picture37091.jpg

36993-albums9382-picture37090.jpg

36993-albums9382-picture37089.jpg

Here's mine. I *think* this qualifies as low light. No CO2, no ferts.

Attachments

• tank.JPG
    tank.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 153
I'm really loving this thread. My boyfriend and I have been trying to get into planted tanks but the options for low light seemed so limited. Thanks for proving us wrong!

This thread is sweet! Glad I wasn't alone with this stuff! And there are TONS of options out there for low light. I started researching because I wanted help with ammonia and nitrates. Well, I am always on top of that stuff, so now the live plants are an added bonus and really add a nice touch that fake plants can't provide. Happy I went that way! Good luck to those of you who decide to do it.

creic38 said:
This thread is sweet! Glad I wasn't alone with this stuff! And there are TONS of options out there for low light. I started researching because I wanted help with ammonia and nitrates. Well, I am always on top of that stuff, so now the live plants are an added bonus and really add a nice touch that fake plants can't provide. Happy I went that way! Good luck to those of you who decide to do it.

The only ones we've had any luck growing so far are anubias and Java fern. Can anyone suggest some others that are easy to grow? We are truly beginners at this! :)

did some digging, when I find something worth hanging on to I'll screen capture it on my phone so here you go

image-568167443.jpg

nice list of low light plants

Attachments

• image-1672713968.jpg
    image-1672713968.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 88
that's awesome thank you! I didn't realize there were so many types of java fern!

Excellent.

Anacharis, ludwigia repena, watersprite, riccia.....almost any moss. Just keep in mind that they may not thrive at first because they adjust to your water. Once they do...,,,,oh boy! Forgot to mention crypts and hygrophilas.

Awesome, this is the most comprehensive starting point I've had so far. Thanks y'all!

Cool thing about Hornwort is that you can stick it in the substrate or let it float on the top. And it grows super super fast.

Back
Top Bottom