Male Convicts??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Idealconcepts

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello Everybodies,
I'm a newbie to the aquarium world and would like to experience breeding Convicts, I've had a pair for about 2 weeks now. I'm trying to determine if one of the Convict I have is a male. I know the other is a female because of the red/orange dots on her belly. Both are the same size (about 1.5 inches in length) and from the research I have done I'm having trouble determining if the no dot Convict is a truly a male or to young to determine. I can't tell a difference on the length of the fins or can detect a lump on the forehead of the fish, this is what I read that could help determine the gender of the Convicts. Is it possible to tell the gender by the color of the tint in the tail fin? The female has a yellow tint to its tail fin, and the other has a reddish tint to it's tail fin. Does the reddish tint in the tail fin signify it is a male convict or can you not differentiate a Convicts gender by tail fin tint. Thanks in advance for your information and comments.

Not sure about the fin. My female has orange stomach blotch, and slight orange/yellow coloring to upper fins. My male has a blue black coloring. No hints of red or orange at all. He's under an inch, and she's under half an inch, so I can't really answer my question. Mine are quite obviously a pair (Though young, and apparently not quite mature yet).

Without the stomach blotch of orange, I would say he's a male.

If both are about the same size and one doesn't show the orange color on the belly- I'd say you've probably got a pair. The other indicators (nuchal hump on the head, extending dorsal fin rays, etc.) won't be obvious until the fish are fully mature and begin to put on more size.

Thanks again ferret. I think I was just excited and anxious to get them to breed that I wanted determine if he was actually a male.

My female and male started breeding at about 1" each---so babies could be coming any time!!!! 8)

Back
Top Bottom