Male honey gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Livvyk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a 12gallon heavily planted tank with one male honey gourami, 2 panda corys and a rabbit snail.
I want to get some friends for my gourami as he seems quite lonely, however I’m not sure what I could get.
I originally brought two male honey Gouramis, however one of them died overnight. My water levels were fine, so I was unsure if it was to do with bullying or stress.

If I were to get two females to add to the tank would they have babies, and if they did what are the chances the babies would survive, as I have only been keeping fish for about 2 years now, and breeding isn’t something I really want to do with my fish.

If i were to get a male Or two would they fight ?
Could I get dwarf Gouramis or would they also fight ?

Are there any fish I could add with him, even if they aren’t Gouramis ?

Thankyou for reading :)

hello :),
in my experience, Honey gouramis are generally quite peaceful fish, and will be happy with a m/f pairing as well as m/m pairing. a male and female will only mate if they feel comfortable enough in their environment and all the necessary requirements are met. Honey gouramis can also be housed with guppies, some tetras, small plecos, small barbs, zebra danios and some other small peaceful community fish. your corydoras might also benefit from being in a group of 4 of the same species as they are a schooling fish, however if that would overstock your tank, then wait until it’s okay to do so. :)

hello :),
in my experience, Honey gouramis are generally quite peaceful fish, and will be happy with a m/f pairing as well as m/m pairing. a male and female will only mate if they feel comfortable enough in their environment and all the necessary requirements are met. Honey gouramis can also be housed with guppies, some tetras, small plecos, small barbs, zebra danios and some other small peaceful community fish. your corydoras might also benefit from being in a group of 4 of the same species as they are a schooling fish, however if that would overstock your tank, then wait until it’s okay to do so. :)
Thankyou for your reply :)
This helped me a lot, I should definitely get some more Corydoras you’re right, and will now probably get either a male or female gourami depending on what the shop has Or I do also like the look of cherry barbs or zebra danios so they are now a different option for me if I change my mind :) ����

Zebra danios need more space than a 12 gallon heavily planted tank provides. Cherry Barbs would be fine. I doubt if the Gouramis would breed in a community tank but if they did the very tiny fry would not survive, so not to worry about breeding them.

Back
Top Bottom