marine hermit tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frenchpea2002

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, I currently have freshwater tanks and land hermit crabs, and I thought it would be cool to have a tank of marine hermit crab too! :lol: I'd probably be switching a 10g fresh to salt, if I do it, and was wondering what it would take, and how many hermies I could put in there, if I could also put a small fish in there, and if I'd need other things like live rock or whatever. This would be my first attempt at anything SW, so help would be much appreciated! Very Happy Also, for the cycle, would the bacteria in my fw convert over to salt, or would I have to start all over again? If it matters, I already use sand as the substrate! Thanks!

If you want just hermits than you could get by with just some sand, a simple HOB power filter, tufa or lava rock ( simple cheap stuff), regular flourescent lighting, and a heater. Theres also the other little stuff that isn't mentioned.

If you want some other little fish the equipment will have to be alittle more advanced but for now that's basicly all you need, just the basics since hermits are pretty easy.

And yes you have to cyce all over again...fun huh? lol

Theres going to be alot more if you want a fish but since you really asked about thehermits i'll leave it at that... but have you thought of getting a smaller tank wiht just a chunk of live rock and some little inverts instead?

are you talking about other inverts besides hermits? The main thing I want it for is the hermits, since I keep land hermits as well....

i think flamingonhot is right, those are the basic u need. I belive marine hermit need a bit more care than land hermits, especially water quality wise, if ur water is not right, hermit can die quite fast sometimes.(maybe thatz why they are so cheap in lfs)

Back
Top Bottom