Marsilea minuta and Cladophora sp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLueFishie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Anybody have experience with these plants? I have seen them used in some tanks online in some contests. Found very little info on them. On FloridaDriftwood.com I was unable to determine if they are true aquatic plants. If anybody knows anything about these I would love to know. TIA

I have marisela in my tank right now. I ordered it off of floridadriftwood.com. You can see some pics of it in my gallery. In my tank its pretty moderate growing, and in shadier areas it seems to send up taller shoots. It grows its roots pretty quick so you can plant it within about 2 weeks IME.

Somewhere on the Krib I read that Amano uses M. angustifolia, reportedly the smallest, shortest Marsilea species. They are all grown pretty much the same, almost like a glosso carpet, and are pretty forgiving in terms of light. They do best with a nutrient rich substrate. This is a marginal plant found mostly in Australia and NZ, and will grow easily emersed.

I have Cladophora in my 55 and I love it - they look like topiary to me. They are good in low-light situations and are very slow growing. You need to rotate them periodically to keep them from getting a brown spot. Eventually they get hollow inside and you can split them and tie them back into ball shapes. No fish pick at it, or try to eat it, and shrimp love to pick through it. They do collect debris so I take them out and rinse them from time to time. They then float for a while and sink again gradually. Lots of places carry them, like azgardens.com, aquariumplants.com, and aquabotanic.com.

Thanks lots of useful information. The one thing I am still unclear about. Are either of these plants true aquatic plants?

Cladophora definitely is, but Marsilea sp. are considered marginal, meaning they grow on the edges of a pond, and are found emersed, so partially in and partially out of the water. When grown emersed they have the four-leaf petal configuration, thus the "quadrifolia" name, but submersed they grow with a double-leaf pattern like glosso.

There is no concern about its longevity when grown submersed AFAIK, in that it won't die from being underwater like some terrestrial plants that are sold as aquatic.

HTH

I believe Cladophora is technically algae. Interesting article: http://aquariumplant.com/cgi-bin/cart/mi268.html My experience in a low-light 20 long and "natural"/ambient sunlit 2.5g are as TG's, fwiw. I've broken them up to ~1cm balls to form a carpet look in the smaller tank and they're doing fine.

I like that idea, czcz, of breaking them up and "paving" the substrate with them. I remember when they first came on the market and people started talking about "algae balls" and many of us went, "Huh? Deliberately put algae in my tank? No way!" :lol:

Back
Top Bottom