Melting plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kiratz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Sorry if someone already asked this, but I can't seem to find a post about it so if anyone knows one, can you show me the place? Anyways, I recently decided to use real plants about a little more than a week ago. The plants' leaves have started to melt, but I can see new leaves starting to come in at the bottom of the plant(they look even better than when I first got them). So I want to know if I should cut the melting leaves off or should I just leave them alone. Will it hurt the plant if I leave it alone?

Cut them off.

Less organics rotting in the tank means less chance for algae to take hold.

Cut them off, it will not harm the plant.

Many plants sold are grown emersed and need to transition to being submerged so they do melt back. Since your seeing new growth feel proud. You are doing something correct.
As stated, you can cut the old leaves back that have died off.

As Tuna said, many aquatic plants can be grown fully submerged, partially submerged, or with only their roots in water. The leaf type they grow will adapt to these changes. Your plants are sloughing poorly adapted leaves in favor of fully aquatic foliage. Totally normal. But for the sake of your tank chemistry, it's best to clip and remove dead and dying leaves.

Back
Top Bottom