Might go planted...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
K so if you've read any of my other threads u will know that I've gone through some crazy spell of something! Lol anywho I lost 7 danios ( 1 more is on it's way out in a qt ) and one angel. My remaining angel and 2 bolivian rams seems to be doing well now. I still cannot get the angel to eat NLS but he is eating blood worms, shrimp pellets and algae wafers. His poo is looking much better as well. I would really love to rescape this tank after my fish have had a little more time to settle from everything. My question is would a medium/small angel and two rams be ok in a 10g long enough to add sand and plants and let it settle? I already have sand but it's not very thick.... Just an idea. I know NOTHING about planting a tank so it's just an idea I'm entertaining. Ideas or advice?

What kind of lighting do you have on the tank? What is the size and dimensions of the tank?

And yes, the 10 gallon would be fine until the other tank settles in, considering it should take at most a few days.

Um I'm honestly not sure what the lights are... It's a 55g and I just want real plants... Probably lowlight until I get the hang of it

Flossie said:
Um I'm honestly not sure what the lights are... It's a 55g and I just want real plants... Probably lowlight until I get the hang of it

Then you want to get low light plants like java fern, anacharis, swords, and other tall and narrow plants

Flossie said:

What is the length of the light fixture?

Flossie said:

It should say on the bulb. You could possibly unscrew them out while the fixture is off and see if there is anything written on them to tell us what type they are :)

Low light plants include java moss/fern, anubias, hornwort, pennywort, and water wisteria IMO.

It is two light fixtures on the hood of a 55g. I'll check them out a little better and update. I got the set up on CL...

Oh and I really love the grassy looking tanks. Contemporary clean edged stuff... I'll continue to do research If I can afford planted I really want to. My b day is in feb :D

Also does anyone know the monthly costs of low tech vs high tech? Or is the expense mostly on the co2 equip? I'm a COMPLETE newbie to planted. Thanks for the help ;)

What about your substrate? You mentioned sand. If you are breaking your tank down I suggest adding a layer of dirt underneath your layer of sand. This will provide the most beneficial access to nutrients for your plant's roots. They sell a variety of aquarium soils to choose from.
About 3 months ago I broke down my 55 gal to add a sand substrate to the already existing gravel substrate; it was a huge undertaking as you probably already figured out. I wish I would have added a layer of dirt underneath as I am suggesting because that would have made me less dependent on the liquid fert/root tab program.

The other alternative, root tabs and/or liquid ferts: (Seachem liquid ferts are great.).

good luck!

akagochi said:
What about your substrate? You mentioned sand. If you are breaking your tank down I suggest adding a layer of dirt underneath your layer of sand. This will provide the most beneficial access to nutrients for your plant's roots. They sell a variety of aquarium soils to choose from.
About 3 months ago I broke down my 55 gal to add a sand substrate to the already existing gravel substrate; it was a huge undertaking as you probably already figured out. I wish I would have added a layer of dirt underneath as I am suggesting because that would have made me less dependent on the liquid fert/root tab program.

The other alternative, root tabs and/or liquid ferts: (Seachem liquid ferts are great.).

good luck!

Yes I have a very thin layer of sand with a gravel area and some river stones... That's a good idea! Thanks for the help!

img_1689112_0_568370627933d9b96893745b63add342.jpg

This is what the tank looked like when I first set it up. It is not that nice lookin now... I have had it roughly around three months...

Make sure its organic soil. Other wise it may be toxic

joejeff said:
Make sure its organic soil. Other wise it may be toxic

Oh ok! Thanks... Any certain kind? And where would I find it?

A hardware store. There is debate between an organic potting mix or generic top soil mineralized... The top soil requires some wrkn but it is less likely to cause algae increase... There are plans on how to mineralizing here. Basically u soak it and remove any nondirt particals then dry it and break it down... Mix in some clay to give it iron. And that's better than the potting mixes bc it won't cause over nutrients.

Don't forget to cap the soil whatever u use... Put the sand over dirt. Or gravel over the soil.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Look like your standard T8s. According to this chart, made by Hoppy on http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...t5-t12-pc.html, you should have somewhat low light, depending on the height of your tank.
http://cdn.aquariumadvice.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64162&d=1323036484
For grassy low-light plants I vote for dwarf sag or pygmy chain sword.

And this wouldnt require much additional equipment? If any?

If I were to get co2 would that make a difference in plants or just mostly the lighting ?

Also I could just get different bulbs later on right...? With a different Kelvin and spectrum... ? ( scratches head ) ??? Lol

Back
Top Bottom