Might go planted...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
maxwellag said:
They are good for planted tanks but you, might have some algae issues

Isn't brighter light better or no?

Brighter light means you need to supply more nutrients to the plants to outcompete algae. Unfortunately, that often means excel or CO2 when dealing with T5hos, or you have long term algae battles on your hand.

aqua_chem said:
Brighter light means you need to supply more nutrients to the plants to outcompete algae. Unfortunately, that often means excel or CO2 when dealing with T5hos, or you have long term algae battles on your hand.

Ok that's starting to make sense ;) thank u :D

Flossie said:
Isn't brighter light better or no?

They are better. But they come with a lot of work. And with that much lighting you will need co2.

I don't think you'd be in too high of a light situation with that 2x54w over a 55g to where pressurized co2 would be a necessity, but adding co2 is never a bad idea. DIY co2, however, I've had ups and downs with so I don't usually recommend it. It'd take a lot more than the little kit to get a good steady supply into that size tank.

If you are concerned with budget primarily look at the oddysea fixtures on ebay also, they are very affordable and work well for the price.

One other thing to think about is excel dosing. If you get comfortable with it and get good results, switch to metricide or cidex and it'll decrease the cost substantially.

Last edited:
I would agree T5s on a 55 might not need CO2, but you never know. T5HOs seem to vary from tank to tank, with some growing lots of algae and some not growing any at all. I stand by my line that whenever you're using T5HO, CO2 (or at the very least excel) might eventually be needed.

I recall reading an article that explained the comparison between higher end high quality ballast/bulb + individual reflected fixtures having a drastically higher PAR value than the cheaper shared reflector and cheap bulb/ballast combos. Just shooting from the hip on that one but that's usually why I mention the Co2 thing with the cheaper fixtures.

Thats absolutely true. Better reflectors will direct a lot more light into a tank. I know that odyssea reflectors are pretty poor, and the hagens are fair, but other fixtures, Im not sure.

I will also add that although 'too much light' will grow algae, barely too much and borderline will also grow moderate amounts of algae.

So for instance... if I got these lights mentioned above (nova brand) I would have a better selection of plants but may or may not need co2? Making sure I'm keeping up! Lol I can be slow ;)

Oh and I understand more light can = algae issues ;)

You would need co2 with those lights to get the plants (not algae) to grow faster, and compete for light better with the algae. I hope that makes sense... LOL
Unless you want algae problems, yes, you will need co2.

maxwellag said:
You would need co2 with those lights to get the plants (not algae) to grow faster, and compete for light better with the algae. I hope that makes sense... LOL
Unless you want algae problems, yes, you will need co2.

It does indeed make sense! It's beeen a looooong time since science class!! Lol thank u

Hey Flossie! I'm actually in full on research mode as I consider upping the lights and doing CO2. I will say that the reflectors in my Coralife T5 Dual, are pitiful and it's a pretty slim case, so no room to do an upgrade myself on the reflectors I don't think. I'm really loving the look of the AquaticLife programmable lights, but its seems like WAY more light than needed. There's a company (I forget the name but outta Cali HELP?!) that will do a custom light build for you and I'm considering going that route. 3 bulbs: a 10k, a Colormax (the red/pinkish tube that makes the colours just scream out) and a 6500K at about 8 inches above the tank.

Last edited:
fish need it;lights; food;Sponge also has some decent fixtures that are very reasonably priced. I haven't used them but I know several members who have and have not heard any complaints, other than the bulbs are a bit cheap that they come with... but bulbs are replaced every 6-12 months anyway.

fish need it;lights; food;Sponge also has some decent fixtures that are very reasonably priced. I haven't used them but I know several members who have and have not heard any complaints, other than the bulbs are a bit cheap that they come with... but bulbs are replaced every 6-12 months anyway.

Sorry Fort, I'm like the one person who won't touch a Fishneed it light. The one they sent me was faulty and arced and tripped breakers. Melted the prong on the fixture kind of arced, too. No fishneedit for me, ever again.

One negative experience out of many positive, unfortunately. Could happen with any fixture. But I understand why you wouldn't want one after your ordeal :)

Back
Top Bottom