Moving a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lectraplayer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I may be faced with a possible move, and since I don't quite want to take it all the way down and throw all my plants out, does anyone have any tips for moving a (30 gallon or less) planted fish tank for an across town (<30 miles) move?

One thought I have is to leave everything in it and pull the water below 1/3 capacity (at which point I can lift and carry the tank myself) and put it in my truck at that point. After securing it to where it won't move, I fill it to 2/3 capacity (too much and I'll throw water) and use an inverter to run the filter for the trip. Thoughts?

I move fish, plants and tanks back and fourth between my home and office (14 miles) often. I'd simply put any animals in buckets, with as little water as possible (even a few inches can slosh), take out 90 percent of the water from the tank, and move the tank and fish that way without adding more water till you set it back up. The fish and plants will be fine as long as they don't freeze. It helps if you can refrigerate the filter.

Personally I'd pull all the plants and transport them in a sealed 5G bucket. Haul your substrate in a second bucket and your filters can travel in a zip-lock with a generous amount of water and a little air. I think I'd use large food storage containers with enough water to cover the fish and about 2/3 air for moving the fish. Or you could go buy some of the bags used to ship fish... a few online fish stores carry them under shipping supplies.

They really aren't that sensitive. Pull the plants, put them in a bucket with tank water, move, replant.

When I moved I had another crisis arise and accidentally left several crypts in a closed 5 gallon bucket with water in the garage for several days. Totally fine. I also recently received several which spent a few days in the mail, then close to a week in a bowl with tank water till I had a chance to plant them.

I threw the plants into the bucket with the fish so the fish would be less scared. Didn't remove the 40lb of substrate (29 gallon tank).

Besides, good luck netting the fish with the plants in the tank! I'd pull the plants, drain the tank most of the way, then chase fish.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.l

I have done this several times and what I do is remove all the fish and put them in a container, leave the plants and drain the water so you are only left with enough to cover your plants. Then cover the tank with black garbage bags to prevent water from going all over your car (with smaller tanks you can actually put the tank IN the bag but with your tank just cover the top and use tape or something to keep it in place).

When you arrive fill the tank back up, and add the fish.

Of course if you want you can remove the plants, drain everything and not have to worry about splashes but it depends what plants you have and whether or not you think you can put everything back the way it was

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I know last few times I've thrown plants in a bucket of tank water and moved them (in these cases, to a tank in another room), they all melted and died. ...then, I mostly had crypts. They don't seem to miss a beat when I just pull them up and carry them in my hand to the new tank. What do you suppose I did wrong?

Sent from my Android with one arm in the tank.

This can be seen as a problem, with all the struggle, or as an opportunity.

I would take fish and plants on separate buckets, tank ans substrate with close to no water, and filter media submerged in tank water.

A few buckets, couple of hours of work and now you have a "brand new" arrangement with room for improvement.

Just my US$0.02

This can be seen as a problem, with all the struggle, or as an opportunity.

I would take fish and plants on separate buckets, tank ans substrate with close to no water, and filter media submerged in tank water.

A few buckets, couple of hours of work and now you have a "brand new" arrangement with room for improvement.

Just my US$0.02

Exactly. I can't wait to move, so I can rearrange all the plants with the fish out. And likely rehome some fish and increase shoals of others.

And get a bigger tank ... Lol.

The worst mistake I made in my last move was letting my helper put the filter inside the tank. Got sand and stuff inside it, ended up replacing it.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom