Mumma's 8g riparium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well the suction caps on my 'planters' keep giving way and submerging the plants. I was thinking of siliconing them to the glass but that would involve drying out the whole tank and waiting for it to cure.
Anyone have any ideas?

You try cutting clear PVC pipes to stand underneath them like supports? Or they make magnetic holders you could rig up to hold your planters in place. Also buy that coral frag bonding stuff saltwater hobbyist use that bonds underwater that way you won't have to empty and dry your tank out just attach them underwater hope this helps.

Discusapisto said:
You try cutting clear PVC pipes to stand underneath them like supports? Or they make magnetic holders you could rig up to hold your planters in place. Also buy that coral frag bonding stuff saltwater hobbyist use that bonds underwater that way you won't have to empty and dry your tank out just attach them underwater hope this helps.

Thank you! I'm on a budget so I'll look into all those. :) I don't think PVC would fit under there. There is barely room for the heater. :/

Discusapisto said:

Yah magnets sound good

Mumma.of.two said:
Thank you! I'm on a budget so I'll look into all those. :) I don't think PVC would fit under there. There is barely room for the heater. :/

You can cut PVC short but magnets I'm thinking will be the way to go.

Discusapisto said:
You can cut PVC short but magnets I'm thinking will be the way to go.

Oh I know. :) it's just the wood takes up most of the room. I can only just fit the heater and powerhead under there. Where do you think I could get strong magnets from? eBay?

Mumma.of.two said:
Oh I know. :) it's just the wood takes up most of the room. I can only just fit the heater and powerhead under there. Where do you think I could get strong magnets from? eBay?

You could try there or I think zoo med makes them. Go on their web site and find your nearest retailer that sells them.

Eek! Just found those magnets and they are $15 for two plus postage here in Aus! The glues not cheap either.
What about super glueing on the old suction caps to the glass. Does any one think that will hold?

Mumma.of.two said:
Eek! Just found those magnets and they are $15 for two plus postage here in Aus! The glues not cheap either.
What about super glueing on the old suction caps to the glass. Does any one think that will hold?

It would hold, but you dont was it permantntly right?

On my breeder net there are bendable, metal pieces that can loop over the top of the tank wall. I think you should do that and attatch part to your basket and wrap the other end around the top:)

Gboy66 said:
It would hold, but you dont was it permantntly right?

On my breeder net there are bendable, metal pieces that can loop over the top of the tank wall. I think you should do that and attatch part to your basket and wrap the other end around the top:)

I don't really mind if it's permanent. I like the metal idea! Would have to find something that won't rust and I can bend without it bending back from the weight of the planters. Might be a job for hubby. He'll have heaps of scrap metal at work.....

You'd only have to lower the water level enough to give a dry clean area for the silicone, you could speed up curing with a hair dryer also. I wasn't sure off the top of my head how high up your baskets were, but if they are up high it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

jetajockey said:
You'd only have to lower the water level enough to give a dry clean area for the silicone, you could speed up curing with a hair dryer also. I wasn't sure off the top of my head how high up your baskets were, but if they are up high it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I didn't think of that. thanks :)

image-3440833345.jpg

Where the water is now is where is sits in relation to the top of the baskets normally. In this picture the water is low because the basket is low.

image-3147947837.jpg

This is where the water level and the basket should be.

Mumma.of.two said:
I don't really mind if it's permanent. I like the metal idea! Would have to find something that won't rust and I can bend without it bending back from the weight of the planters. Might be a job for hubby. He'll have heaps of scrap metal at work.....

I think it'd have to be a type of alluminum. Ask your husband to maybe cut you some small strips!

However, if you want it to be permanent, the super glue would look better and do the trick!

Well, I've got silicone lying around so I think I'll give that a go first. With the super glue I'm imagining sticking my fingers together, runs down the glass and the baskets falling off in the middle of the night. Lol. So I might steer away from that. If the silicone doesn't work maybe an epoxy of some sort? Then I'll resort to metal hooks over the top of the glass. :)
Thanks guys! :D

Back
Top Bottom