My 36 gallon bow front (all in one) thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
absolutangel04 said:
Sounds fine. It doesn't matter what order you add the tetras in, just add the angels last. You can just add your first school to the main tank and use that as a quarantine tank. Any new additions you can quarantine in the buckets. I think it would be ok to get 4 of the cards or glos at once and then add 2 more later. If you keep them for too long in an insufficient school, they may get stressed and that can induce problems. You can just go ahead and put 6 in the main tank as your first fish purchase. If they do have a disease that needs to be treated, just treat the whole tank. After all, they came from the same tank, so if one has it, the others were exposed and should be treated anyway. If you are more comfortable doing the bucket quarantine for everything, then do that. But I would still get 4 of the schoolers for the first batch to avoid stress.
Stocking sounds good.

Ok. Thanks. :) and if I use any medications on the main tank because my first fish need it, should I put carbon in the filter to remove the medications afterward, before adding more/other fish?

absolutangel04 said:
That is correct. :)

Ok. Thankyou for the help. I probably wont be replying to this thread much more, until December, when I get the tank.

Is it possible to have some larger cichlids in the tank? I meant replacing some other fish, obviously.

Like what? Angels are decent sized cichlids. Do you mean in the community, or to scrap the community idea and just keep a cichlid tank?

absolutangel04 said:
Like what? Angels are decent sized cichlids. Do you mean in the community, or to scrap the community idea and just keep a cichlid tank?

Well im pretty sure about the community idea, but I am still looking into other options.

Ok, the nast majority of cichlids are not community dwellers. I am not going to name every single cichlid species in existence that could fit in your tank. There are thousands of species of cichlids. :)
Most of the commonly available ones need a bigger tank. But, if you can mail order them, there are many more options than the typical ones you see in petstores. A couple fun species to look into would be shell-dwellers and Egyptian mouth-brooders. I belive electric yellow labs would be an option, but you could only keep a few of them, like 1 male and a couple females. Nothing else in the tank.
If you wanted a different cichlid to go in your community, a keyhole or golden dwarf are the only others that pop to mind at the moment besides the rams and apistos that you have already thought about.
I'll let you know if anything else comes to mind later.

absolutangel04 said:
Ok, the nast majority of cichlids are not community dwellers. I am not going to name every single cichlid species in existence that could fit in your tank. There are thousands of species of cichlids. :)
Most of the commonly available ones need a bigger tank. But, if you can mail order them, there are many more options than the typical ones you see in petstores. A couple fun species to look into would be shell-dwellers and Egyptian mouth-brooders. I belive electric yellow labs would be an option, but you could only keep a few of them, like 1 male and a couple females. Nothing else in the tank.
If you wanted a different cichlid to go in your community, a keyhole or golden dwarf are the only others that pop to mind at the moment besides the rams and apistos that you have already thought about.
I'll let you know if anything else comes to mind later.

Thanks... I will have to see what the rest of my family thinks, but I think we are fixed on the plan I came up with..

What about a figure eight puffer? What fish would I have to swap out if I wanted one of them?

Oh just making sure.... I am talking about only one figure eight puffer....

Sorry, but do you mean JUST one figure 8 puffer with nothing else in the tank, or do you still mean what fish would have to leave your community in order to put a figure 8 puffer into the community?

absolutangel04 said:
Sorry, but do you mean JUST one figure 8 puffer with nothing else in the tank, or do you still mean what fish would have to leave your community in order to put a figure 8 puffer into the community?

The second thing you said (figure 8 puffer+community)

Ok, well, that doesn't work unfortunately. Puffers are all sorts, even the tiny ones, make terrible community dwellers imo. They get aggressive and turn into fin nippers. Since they have those constantly growing teeth, them nipping at other fish all the time is a big deal can cause a lot of damage.

My birthday is in 54 days! I will finally be able to start making progress on the tank! Lol I know that seems like a long time from now, but its really only a month and a half

So I will probably only be able to do low light plants, with the light it comes with. I need some ideas...
Also, do you think I should use rocks or driftwood or both?

I am trying to decide what filter to use for this tank. My options are:
-Fluval 405
-AquaTop CF-500-UV (525 gph, 4 media baskets, uv sterilizer)
-Aquaclear 110
-combination of a bunch of HOBs

I am trying to decide what filter to use for this tank. My options are:
-Fluval 405
-AquaTop CF-500-UV (525 gph, 4 media baskets, uv sterilizer)
-Aquaclear 110
-combination of a bunch of HOBs

Check the dimensions of the AC 110, I looked at getting one when I was setting up my 36 Bowfront and I am pretty sure it will not fit due to the center brace in the tank. I would just get a Fluval 305 I have one on my 40 breeder and it does great. On my 36 Bowfront I just use 2 AquaClear 70's. Works like a champ. Also, the AC 70 is $34 each on Amazon.com

Okay - this is a huge thread so I haven't read it all! But I have a 36 gallon bow front - it is LOVELY - there is a pic on my profile of it (I have rearranged since - of course)... Anywho - this was my upgrade from a 10 gallon tank that I am fostering from my sister in law! Uh - I WISH I WOULD HAVE GONE UP BIGGER! LOL! So - if you can go bigger - GO BIG :)

I am going to be getting another tank 72-150 gallons this winter. I am loving the hobby that much. I want so many more and different fish it is nice to have more tanks so that you can have more variety of fish. So, that is an option too. Do a 36 (as I do LOVE mine) and then down the road add another.

I was looking at those German Blue Rams the other day actually - lovely fish - but I will not put them in a tank with my Angel and my Pearl Gourami. My 36 gallon seems to be in harmony not. Certainly NOT full, but in harmony. I took the 6 cherry barbs I had in there, OUT and put them with the Molly fish in the smaller tank for the time-being... The Pleco from my 36 gallon and the school of cherry barbs will be the base of my stocking for my big tank. It'll be interesting!

I personally would add your least territorial fish first so they can get established. And another thing I wish I had to do all over again - starting the tank properly with a fishless cycle. It was soooooo stressful starting a tank with even just 2 fish in there. I just didn't know before it was too late and it was a lot of work. Start it right. Be patient. No fish :)

So - my 2 cents: go bigger :) And choose rams OR angels not both. And no neons with either of those or their name will be LUNCH.

Happy *Fishing*

Back
Top Bottom